Hello. I'm looking for a word one word that can mean all the following:

-self interest
-selfishness
-apathy
-unsympathetic
-viciousness
-ferocity
-lack of altruism

If you can think of a synonym for all these, I'd appreciate it.

Skeppio
2014-05-25, 07:42 PM
Arrogance? It definitely covers the first two and the fourth as well as the seventh to an extent. It can cover the others too with a bit of extra thought.

Ravens_cry
2014-05-25, 07:58 PM
Ferocity is the hard one. It's hard to be ferocious and apathetic at the same time.
Contemptuous fits most of that pretty well otherwise.

Glodart
2014-05-25, 08:59 PM
Evil?
Maybe...
Jerk?
Some of them are missing with that one.

Ah, It think I have it:
Human

BTW. This is a joke, do not take it as seriousness that all humans are that

Kindablue
2014-05-25, 09:29 PM

-self interest
-selfishness
-apathy
-unsympathetic
-viciousness
-ferocity
-lack of altruism

I agree with Ravens_Cry that some of those words are antonyms; if there is a single English word that means all of them at once, I don't know it, and it's probably obscure enough that if you do find it it would sound out of place in normal speech. What about mean egotism/ist?

Slipperychicken
2014-05-25, 10:40 PM
Vile.

Wicked.

Hostile.

Ruthless.

Cruel.

Miriel
2014-05-25, 10:45 PM
Mean, perhaps?

Ebon_Drake
2014-05-26, 05:29 AM
Sociopathic?

smuchmuch
2014-05-26, 05:37 AM
Though I generaly shy from using that term as it tens to be overused, I agree 'sociopathic' seems to cover quite a few of the notion in the OP. (short of the ferocity)

Ebon_Drake
2014-05-26, 06:48 AM
Though I generaly shy from using that term as it tens to be overused, I agree 'sociopathic' seems to cover quite a few of the notion in the OP. (short of the ferocity)

Yeah, I know what you mean about it being overused. I was tempted to suggest psychopathic too, but that's even more overused. Plus you probably have to explain you're using the strict clinical definition of the term and not necessarily meaning psychotic.

Asta Kask
2014-05-26, 07:21 AM

-self interest
-selfishness
-apathy
-unsympathetic
-viciousness
-ferocity
-lack of altruism

*******? Sounds like a very disagreeable sort of person.

lolthfollower
2014-05-26, 10:39 PM
Why do you even need to know a word for that:smallconfused:?

inexorabletruth
2014-05-31, 07:09 AM
The word you might, most likely, be looking for is impetuous or instinctual.

If you change your list slightly, most of the vocabulary list are nearly perfect synonyms. I broke your list up into two groups, to make it easier to define what you're trying to say. Try this:

Basically the same thing (uncaring of other's needs or feelings):

Self Interested - self interest
Selfishness - selfishness
Unsympathetic - unsympathetic
Egoistic - lack of altruism
Apathetic - apathy

Basically the same thing (aggressive, cruel, dangerous):

Vicious - viciousness
Ferocious - ferocity

Basically, what you're describing is someone/something who lacks sympathy and compassion and is prone to displaying acerbic, or even violent, behavior, the way an abused animal might behave. Animals who are in "survival mode" due to severe injuries or abuse tend to behave this way. Their only concern is for themselves and those who come close to them are treated as threats. That's where I get "instinctual" from.

Also, amongst humans, impetuous may be a better fit. Impetuous is often misused as a synonym for "brave" but it actually means to be rash and impulsive, acting without thought or care for how their actions may affect those around them. Bullies are more likely to be impetuous than heroes, and impetuous people can be vicious and sometimes quite ferocious if the mood strikes them.

I hope I helped. :smallredface:

Spacewolf
2014-05-31, 10:27 AM
Avarice maybe?

Xuc Xac
2014-05-31, 10:38 AM
"Callous"?

smellie_hippie
2014-05-31, 11:29 AM
Narcissistic

Sounds pretty encompassing to me.

Don Julio Anejo
2014-06-03, 02:46 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean about it being overused. I was tempted to suggest psychopathic too, but that's even more overused. Plus you probably have to explain you're using the strict clinical definition of the term and not necessarily meaning psychotic.
The irony is, "psychotic" under its clinical definition means... experiences episodes of psychosis, which are most commonly (inane) hallucinations and the like, instead of extremely unpredictable and violent behaviour.

No brains
2014-06-05, 06:00 PM
Trevor Philips. 2 words, but still apt.