PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Artificers crafted Potions, Scrolls, and Wands pricing question

Captnq
2014-05-25, 09:42 PM
So an artificer can craft a potion, scroll, or wand of any spell.
Anyone can use a potion.
Artificer scrolls are neither Arcane nor Divine so anyone can read them if they are on his/her spell list.
Wands aren't arcane or divine, so if the spell is on your list, you can use it.

Furthermore, an artificer can craft one of these items at 2 levels less then anyone else. For example, he can craft a wand of fireballs at Caster Level 3, meaning it has 50 charges of 3d6 fireballs.

(please, If I'm getting this wrong, correct me.)

So, assuming that. Assuming that the artificer class is freely available in a campaign setting. Assuming that the artificer can pump out magic items like it's intended and with it's ability to imitate having ANY SPELL from ANY SPELL LIST...

Would we not have to reprice every potion, scroll, and wand as if it was created by whatever class can cast it the cheapest?

For example, A wand of fear is priced at 21,000 gp in the DMG, because it is a 4th level spell for wizards.
However, a Thayan Slaver can cast it as a 2nd level spell. And with the Artificers ability to craft is at -2 CL, He could make a Wand of fear that was SL2/CL1 or 1,500 gp. Admittedly, it will only last 1 round, and I can see the call for a wand that lasts for 5 rounds, and 10 rounds, and 20 rounds, but they would be far cheaper then the wizard version.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm cleaning up my handbooks in the EVD, and I'm about to compile a complete list of every possible potion, wand, and scroll. Since the inception of 3.5, the game has been evolving. When I make this updated list, I'd like it to be the "true" list.

Should all Potions, Wands be based on wizard/cleric first, then whatever other spell list it might be on?
Should all scrolls be One arcane One divine version for all spells?

Or should there be just one master list based on the lowest price following the rules set down by artificers to it's logical conclusion?

[Cross posted to other boards for maximum feedback]

thethird
2014-05-26, 03:30 AM
I would go with: Artificer master list and then (in parenthesys if you want a list assuming that only wizards, clerics, and druids are crafters). Make sure to list where the artificer gets the spell from.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-05-26, 04:17 AM
I'd go with the standard prices. Maybe put in a note that Artificers get it cheaper but you can hardly assume that every item is crafted by Artificers.
I hardly see DMs allowing lower prices for everything because you say "i buy from an Artificer".
The lower price is more of a bonus if you have one in the party imo, otherwise you pay standard prices for everything.