PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Cleave

hennasmith
2014-05-25, 10:45 PM
We ran into a RAW/RAI question this weekend. Should Cleave work during an attack of opportunity? The rules don't specifically forbid it, from what I read it seems to be a grey area. What's the Playground opinion?

HighWater
2014-05-25, 11:08 PM
We ran into a RAW/RAI question this weekend. Should Cleave work during an attack of opportunity? The rules don't specifically forbid it, from what I read it seems to be a grey area. What's the Playground opinion?

RAW, yes it should work.

RAI is anyone's guess on this one. I'm going to vote "Mundanes should have nice things too" and say it works, as long as nobody is explicitly gaming the system by throwing "hostile rodents" at his friend the Cleaving Barbarian.

Immabozo
2014-05-25, 11:28 PM

I am going to agree RAW and say yes RAI. Here is my reasoning.

Cleave is not "another attack" by fluff, as far as I understand, but a smooth movement of your blade felling an opponent and then hitting the next. There can be some situations that make that either a real stretch, or you are just the smoothest ninja crazy Gumbi fighter that ever was, and it gets super silly with Supreme Cleave. But hey, whatever.

Zombimode
2014-05-26, 12:45 AM
Actually, where do you guys see any ambiguity? The feat description is very clear, there isn't really any room for interpretation.

Cleave is ambiguous in another way: does the triggering attack have to be a melee attack? The feat description does not explicitly state so. The bonus attack needs to be a melee attack and be made with the weapon triggering the feat, so in most cases the triggering attack will be a melee attack, but there are corner cases like Elvencraft Bows.

WhamBamSam
2014-05-26, 01:09 AM
Actually, where do you guys see any ambiguity? The feat description is very clear, there isn't really any room for interpretation.

Cleave is ambiguous in another way: does the triggering attack have to be a melee attack? The feat description does not explicitly state so. The bonus attack needs to be a melee attack and be made with the weapon triggering the feat, so in most cases the triggering attack will be a melee attack, but there are corner cases like Elvencraft Bows.That should work by RAW, though you'll need to do something about the AoO you provoke by making ranged attacks.

I'd let you do it too, no question. It sounds like the sort of thing that an elf would do in one of the LotR/Hobbit movies, and that's good enough for me. Plus, it's only right that your elf maiden archer should have great cleavage.

Immabozo
2014-05-26, 02:02 AM
That should work by RAW, though you'll need to do something about the AoO you provoke by making ranged attacks.

I'd let you do it too, no question. It sounds like the sort of thing that an elf would do in one of the LotR/Hobbit movies, and that's good enough for me. Plus, it's only right that your elf maiden archer should have great cleavage.

What a favtastic quote! haha, I cant stop laughing.