PDA

View Full Version : Samurai Revision

Quellian-dyrae
2007-02-16, 09:21 PM
I'll avoid commenting on the Complete Warrior version and just say that, myself, I see samurai as kind of speed/power warriors. This class revision is an attempt to turn them into that, with a bit of the classical samurai stuff thrown in.

Samurai

The samurai are honorable warriors in the service of a feudal lord. They are elite champions who serve their lords with utter loyalty. They are disciplined, honest, and proud, willing to sacrifice life and limb in the service of their lords. Samurai all follow the code of bushido, and are as dedicated to their codes as they are to their masters. Many samurai hail from distant lands, wielding strange weapons and wearing odd armor.

Samurai are swift and powerful in combat. Although they lack the sheer diversity of fighters, the formidable rages of barbarians, and the supernatural powers of rangers or paladins, they are surprisingly fast even with a weapon in two hands, formidably strong even when wielding light weapons in their off hand. Samurai also benefit from spiritual blessings that improve their skills and allow them to resist some forms of magic.

A samurai’s role in the party is that of a front-lines fighter. With their high hit dice, credible armor, and sheer damage-dealing power, they excel as melee warriors. They are particularly skilled at taking on enemy damage dealers, since they can absorb plenty of punishment and cause massive harm to foes with poor defenses.

Samurai get along best with disciplined martial characters, such as monks, paladins, and lawful fighters. Depending on their land, they might afford spell casters great respect or utter loathing. Characters who practice the subtler arts, such as rogues, ninja, and even rangers, are looked down upon by samurai. Although samurai are somewhat less pushy about their codes than paladins, they are not averse to trying to teach their allies a better way.

Samurai must be lawfully aligned, for the class requires discipline, honor, and loyalty. Samurai are not restricted on their moral alignment. Good-aligned samurai are champions of righteousness and justice. Neutral samurai are stern enforcers of their lord’s will. Evil samurai give complete loyalty to those above them, and demand the same from those beneath them, securing it with force of arms as needed.

Humans and dwarves make the most common samurai. The feudal systems that give rise to samurai are most common among humans, and lawful dwarves also often have samurai guards. Elves are typically too chaotic to produce a great many samurai, but elite elven guards sometimes have levels in the class. Samurai are almost unheard of among the savage humanoids, except in the case of ogre mages.

Alignment: Any lawful.
HD: d10.
SP: 4.
Skills: Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), Perform, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Swim, Tumble.
Proficiencies: Martial weapons, medium armor, shields.

Samurai
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Bushido Blessing +2, Heritage Weapon.

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Blurring Speed.

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|-

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Bushido Blessing +3.

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|-

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+5|Ki Focus.

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+5|-

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+6|Bushido Blessing +4.

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+6|-

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+7|Improved Blurring Speed.

11th|
+11|
+7|
+3|
+7|-

12th|
+12|
+8|
+4|
+8|Bushido Blessing +5.

13th|
+13|
+8|
+4|
+8|-

14th|
+14|
+9|
+4|
+9|Heroic Sacrifice.

15th|
+15|
+9|
+5|
+9|-

16th|
+16|
+10|
+5|
+10|Bushido Blessing +6.

17th|
+17|
+10|
+5|
+10|-

18th|
+18|
+11|
+6|
+11|Indomitable.

19th|
+19|
+11|
+6|
+11|-

20th|
+20|
+12|
+6|
+12|Bushido Blessing +7.
[/table]

Bushido Blessing (Ex): The samurai is governed by the code of bushido, a code of conduct for honorable warriors. Bushido is made up of seven rules that the samurai must follow. Each rule provides a blessing to the samurai, a bonus of +2, with an additional +1 per four class levels, on certain saves or checks.

The samurai may select from bushido rules to follow upon gaining its first level in the samurai class. The best samurai choose all seven, but sometimes, alignment, duty, or multiclassing make certain rules unfeasible. For example, a rogue that multiclasses to a samurai probably wouldn’t follow meyo (since that would completely prevent it from using its sneak attacks). An evil samurai would be unlikely to follow jin. A ronin—a samurai without a lord or following—couldn’t follow chugo. If the samurai does not follow an aspect of its code, it loses the appropriate blessing. Although a samurai need not force others to follow its code, it will not take part in activities that break its code, and will not request others to take actions it would not take itself, either directly or indirectly; to do either is a violation of the code.

The samurai is bound to uphold the rules it follows in all circumstances (although it does not force others to do so). If the samurai breaks a rule, it takes half the normal bonus it receives as a penalty on checks for a period determined by the severity of the infraction. A negligible infraction penalizes the samurai for one day. A minor one causes the effect for one week. A moderate infraction lasts for a month. A major infraction lasts for a year. Additionally, for this duration, the samurai halves the benefit of other bushido blessings.

There are certain cases where the samurai can break its code with only a negligible penalty, or (at DM’s discretion) no penalty at all. These include the following:
--Infractions that the samurai is not aware of.
--Infractions that the samurai is magically compelled to perform.
--Infractions that cannot be avoided unless through another infraction (such as when a yu/jin samurai must flee a fight to help someone in need, such as carrying its unconscious, dying ally to a cleric).
--Infractions that do not violate the spirit of the code (such as when a gi samurai breaks a corrupt law).

During the penalty period, if the samurai commits another infraction add the duration for the new infraction onto the penalty period. The samurai takes both penalties for that duration (it only halves other benefits once, however).

Once the penalty period ends, the samurai may choose to renew its dedication to the given code, or annul it, no longer gaining the benefits or restrictions of the code. Additionally, whenever the samurai gains a level in the class, it may dedicate itself to new codes or regain codes it had previously forsaken.

An atonement spell cast by a lawful cleric can remove the penalty immediately. This costs the cleric XP only in the case of a moderate or major infraction.

Gi (Honesty and Justice): The samurai must not speak an untruth or commit a crime (the more emotional pain or confusion the lie causes, or the more heinous the crime, the more major the infraction). The samurai adds its bonus to Sense Motive checks.

Yu (Heroic Courage): The samurai must not flee a fight. The more deadly the scenario, the less important the infraction. In general, fleeing from an encounter with an EL 4 or more higher than your level is negligible, an EL 1-3 higher is minor, an equal EL is moderate, and a lower EL is major. The samurai adds its bonus to saves against fear.

Jin (Compassion): The samurai must help those in need, provided they do not use that help in a manner that opposes the paladin's lord, code, goals, or morals. The greater the need, and the easier it would be for the samurai to help, the greater the severity of the infraction. The samurai adds its bonus on saves against spells with the evil descriptor or the spell-like abilities of evil outsiders.

Rei (Polite Courtesy): The samurai does not act rudely. The more rude the samurai acts and the greater the status of those it acts rudely towards, the greater the infraction. The samurai adds its bonus to Diplomacy checks.

Meyo (Honor): The samurai must act and, in particular, fight honorably. It does not attack flat-footed foes, attack from ambush, slay helpless opponents, utilize poison, attack from behind (it foregoes a flanking bonus on attacks, but can still help an ally get one) and so on. This is not to say that the samurai cannot fight strategically, but it does so in an open and honorable manner. The more vital to the battle the samurai’s dishonorable tactics were, and the more skillful and honorable the opponent, the greater the infraction. The samurai adds the bonus to saving throws against neutralizing spells (for this purpose, any spell that can instantly render the samurai helpless or dead).

Makoto (Complete Sincerity): The samurai must not break a vow or promise. The more important the promise and the easier it is for the samurai to complete it, the greater the infraction. The samurai gains its bonus on Intimidate checks.

Chugo (Duty and Loyalty): The samurai obeys all orders from its lord, and acts for the greater good of those in its care. The more critical the order and the easier the samurai could accomplish it, or the more dire the result of negligence, the greater the infraction. The samurai adds its bonus to saves against charms and compulsions.

Heritage Weapon: All samurai receive Exotic Weapon Proficiency as a bonus feat and are provided with a masterwork weapon corresponding to that proficiency free of charge at 1st level (usually, this is an inherited weapon, but it might be a gift from a master or lord upon completing samurai training). Traditionally, this weapon would be a katana (a masterwork bastard sword) but you may choose a different weapon more appropriate to your character’s culture.

Blurring Speed (Ex): Samurai attack with tremendous speed. Starting at 2nd level, the samurai gains the ability to make a flurry of blows, taking a -2 on all attack rolls for the round in exchange for one additional attack at its highest attack bonus.

Starting at 10th level, the samurai can make a second extra attack in the round, at the cost of an additional -2 on all attack rolls.

Ki Focus (Ex): Samurai are able to channel their internal energy, or Ki, into their attacks to improve their power. Starting at 6th level, the samurai improves its ability to use the power attack feat (this benefit does not apply if the samurai does not have the feat). Its bonus damage is equal to take attack penalty taken with a light weapon, twice the penalty taken with a one-handed weapon, and three times the penalty with a two handed weapon. Additionally, the samurai adds one-half its strength bonus to all damage rolls; as a result, it uses its full strength bonus with off-hand weapons, half again its strength bonus with its primary hand, and twice its strength bonus with two hands. This second benefit occurs whether or not the samurai has the power attack feat.

Heroic Sacrifice (Ex): Samurai are willing to give their lives for their lords or codes. Starting at 14th level, a samurai who dies heroically does not lose a level for being restored to life, and does not require the expenditure of any expensive material or XP components for its resurrection; the honor of the paladin’s spirit is enough to complete the resurrection. A samurai counts as having died heroically if it dies in battle, in defense of its lord, or to avoid violating its code (samurai who commit ritual suicide to avoid violating their codes also count). A samurai can only benefit from heroic sacrifice if it is not suffering a bushido blessing penalty at the time of its death.

Indomitable (Ex): An 18th level samurai is an incredibly tenacious foe. It continues to fight without penalty while disabled or dying. Additionally, it gains an indomitability score equal to its samurai level plus its constitution score. Its indomitability affects it in the following ways:
--Add the samurai’s indomitability to the hit points required to force a saving throw against death from massive damage.
--The samurai is not staggered or knocked unconscious unless its nonlethal damage exceeds its hit points by its indomitability score or more.
--The samurai does not die unless its hit points fall below –(10 + indomitability). Effects that would kill it at 0 hit points (such as disintegrate) don’t kill it unless it falls to 0 – its indomitability.
--The samurai adds its indomitability score to its hit points for the purposes of effects (such as the death touch granted power or power words) that are based on hit points.
--The samurai gains a bonus on saving throws against a coup de grace equal to half its indomitability score.

Ex-Samurai: A samurai who stops being lawful can no longer advance in levels in this class. It is no longer bound to the bushido code, and loses all bushido blessings (it also loses heroic sacrifice, if it has it). This same fate occurs to any samurai who is ever not receiving any bushido blessings. An atonement spell (costing XP) can allow a samurai to again advance in the class.

A samurai who multiclasses can no longer advance as a samurai, but retains all abilities. Samurai can multiclass freely as monks, paladins, or any prestige class that allows monk or paladin multiclassing.

Amphimir Míriel
2007-02-16, 10:01 PM
Nice... Much better than the original

I like your Bard improvements too.

Now, give us a non-sucky Soulknife and I will sing your praises... :smallwink:

Quellian-dyrae
2007-02-16, 10:08 PM
Thanks, glad you like them. I'll see what I can do as far as soulknives go.

Amphimir Míriel
2007-02-16, 10:33 PM
Thanks, glad you like them. I'll see what I can do as far as soulknives go.

I wasn't actually serious... but if you want to take on the challenge of fixing a class with really good fluff, but the worst crunch in the game, more power to you.

Quellian-dyrae
2007-02-16, 10:48 PM
I dunno, I may try it, although honestly, I'm somewhat unsure what the problem with them is...other than the fact that they're a fighting class with the cleric's attack bonus. I mean, the equivalent of 162,000 extra gold (or 256,000 if going two weapon style), plus WF and GWF, whirlwind attack, and ability damage can be a pretty credible deal. A 20th level's knife to the soul could, potentially, render most 20th level fighters helpless in a round.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-02-17, 12:53 AM
I think it's good, but Flurry pushes the envelope too far. Extra attacks are too deadly for a full BAB class, (Compare it too monks, who have d8 hit die and 3/4 BAB and still make up for it with flurry.)

Also, if the class focuses on speed/power-strikes, d12 hit die seems high (it's given to Barb because he focuses resiliancy and toughness.)

Overall it's good work though.

Quellian-dyrae
2007-02-17, 01:05 AM
Hmm...I see what you're saying, but the fact that the flurry never loses the attack penalty is, I think, a capable balance. In fact, the monk's reduction in the flurry attack penalty corresponds (for the first few levels, of course) with the attack roll point they lose at that level. Over the course of 20 levels, the monk gains two attacks and loses five points of its attack bonus. The samurai gains two attacks and loses four points; a little better, but it is a more dedicated combat class, where the monk's emphasis is largely on its special abilities.

Also, Unearthed Arcana presents a barbarian variant that gives them a flurry of blows ability.

As for HD...you see, that's just my prejudice coming out. I have a personal and deep-seated belief that "knight-style" characters deserve a d12 HD. I despise that paladins don't get one almost as much as I hate their poor Will save. But you're right, giving a character with this much offensive power the serious staying power of a d12 is a bit too good. I'll tone it to the typical warrior d10.