PDA

View Full Version : What's in the Bag?

jordan.k93
2014-05-26, 08:09 AM
I gave my party a silk bag of... something...

I had thought about gems purely for currency, but that's boring.

Then I thought some grenade like magic items, like 20 glass spheres that unleash a spell when smashed (Was thinking Boiling Blood)?

Wonderous Item?

Rod of Wonder (In bag form?)

Party is level 7, and it would suit the place they looted it from if it had a necromantic theme.

Crake
2014-05-26, 08:11 AM
I gave my party a silk bag of... something...

I had thought about gems purely for currency, but that's boring.

Then I thought some grenade like magic items, like 20 glass spheres that unleash a spell when smashed (Was thinking Boiling Blood)?

Wonderous Item?

Rod of Wonder (In bag form?)

Party is level 7, and it would suit the place they looted it from if it had a necromantic theme.

Make it a bag of tricks? Those are always neat

JellyPooga
2014-05-26, 08:18 AM
Well if you wanted to go down the "grenade-like things" route, then a bag of exploding skulls would be thematically appropriate, I suppose.

Heck, riffing off of that idea back to the classic; a bag of hydra teeth that summon skeletal warriors.

With a box
2014-05-26, 08:22 AM
silk bag of holding?
bag of infinte coppers?

Kol Korran
2014-05-26, 08:57 AM
This is something from a pirate campaign we ran. I'm changing it to fit.

The bag has a head in it. An undead head, but quite intelligent. No, it can't fly, it can't much do stuff except grumble and shout at the players, at times cursing them and generally talking about the piss-assed job they are doing. You can converse with it and it may know quite a few important things (Even crucial or just helpful to the plot). But other than that it's mostly a nuisance.

It is a cursed head, did I mention that? Though it can be destroyed, left somewhere, entombed, burned, crushed, or such, IT ALWAYS come back! It happens to be in your back pack, eating your rations. Or perhaps in the enemy's camp "Watch out! Here come the loooosers!" and so on. You can't get rid of it.

It also has a single, possibly useful power- it can curse others (Bestow curse or greater bestow curse), in quite... imaginative (ways. And it's curses often stick for quite some time. It is usually unphased by the party's rants and angry feats (OR their attempts to get rid of it) but if they REALLY annoy him he can curse them as well.

Give him a personality, goals and what not, make it an NPC the party can't live with or without, but have to manage with somehow. It will be worth it.

In my game it proved to be one of them more memorable pieces, and one that brought both groans, laughs and head nods...

Captnq
2014-05-26, 09:37 AM
Gwyneth Paltrow's Head. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1giVzxyoclE&feature=kp)

RedMage125
2014-05-26, 09:41 AM
So a buddy of mine, when DMing, gave a level 2 or 3 party a Bag of Holding for treasure once, but it had an interesting story...

You see, a couple of hundred years ago, an orc king took the bag off some dead adventurers. When he realized that it seemingly never got full, he had the perfect place to put it. And next to his throne it sat, receiving his toenail clippings. For generations of orc kings, this bag sat next to the throne, getting toenail clippings dumped into it. Eventually, the bag did start to fill up, and the current orc king, feeling that the magic of the bag had apparently expired, sent a couple of peons into the woods to take the bag and get rid of it.

Enter the PCs. They kill a group of orcs in the forest. the orcs have a bag that radiates magic. So the party dumps it out.

And dumps it out.

Eventually, they have an empty Bag of Holding, and a giant pile of Orc Toenail Clippings. Leaving the clippings behind, they soon found that anything they put into the bag of holding...came out smelling like orc feet.

Gildedragon
2014-05-26, 10:12 AM
A cat-genie
A Catnni, grants 1 wish
Ironically if it isn't to pet the cat

Someonelse
2014-05-26, 10:18 AM
Well if you wanted to go down the "grenade-like things" route, then a bag of exploding skulls would be thematically appropriate, I suppose.

Heck, riffing off of that idea back to the classic; a bag of hydra teeth that summon skeletal warriors.

The skulls explode like a necromantic fireball (DC 15 will for half of 5d6 negative energy) that heals undead. Its better if they fight a necromancer who uses them first though.

Slipperychicken
2014-05-26, 10:49 AM
Maybe it's full of black onyx gems? Those are important for making undead, you know.

Maybe the items therein have Profane Item (CChamp, Clr 4, Blackguard 4) cast on them?

MrNobody
2014-05-26, 01:29 PM
I TOTALLY second the head-in-the-bag idea from Kon Korran.
Here on the fly i can suggest you a couple of other things:

- A Bag of necroforming: you can store the corpse of one or more creatures in it (up to Huge size, with the usual size/space progression). In one day the bag raise the corpse as skeletons that the owner of the bag can command like he had created them. The bag can "keep alive" up to 15HD of undeads at a time, but these do not count on the limit of the owner (if he can raise undeads).

- A Necroslime bag: you can use the bag throwing it like a tanglefoot bag, spreading a back slime all over that entagle people in a 5ft range (Refl DC 17). Until entangled by the slime of the bag, the creatures take a negative level, that disappears when they are set free.
When noone else is entangled, the slime goes back in the bag that teleports in the owner hands. The bag can be used 3 times a day.

- A Soultrap bag: if a living creature is put in the bag within a round from his death, the bag instantly consumes the body, trapping the soul. 3/day, a caster can open the bag (swift action) and drag out a soul to be used as a special material component. (see Book of Evil darkness). The bag can store up to 10 souls: if an 11th body is put and a soul trapped, the new souls is istantly consumed and the bag generates a pulse of negative energy that deals 1d8+5 damage in a 15ft radius. The bag cannot generate more then a pulse per round: in case multiple exceedind souls, the bag produces one pulse per round until the souls stored are within the limit.

- A Deathgrafter's bag: a living humanoid creature can insert an arm in the bag as a fullround action. The bag deals 4d6 of untyped damage to the creature as detaches his arm replacing with one of this undead grafts (Libris mortis p.80):enerveting arm, ghostly arm, paralyzig arm, weakening arm, zombie arm.
The creature can undo the change putting his arm into the bag: he can change the type of graft or ask his original arm back. (dealing damage evry time the process is done)
More creature can benefit of the bag at the same time, but each one must select a different type of graft. So if someone get a palyzing arm from the bag, noone else can claim that type of graft until it's put back.
An horrible curse is put on this bag: when there are no more graft avaible, the bag consumes the flesh of the stored arms and tears apart, freeing a 8HD Skulking cyst that has the ability to track down the graft's possessors, everywhere they are (and it'll do this). They're the only one who can damage it.
When the Cyst kills one of the people that has a graft, it'll take a fullround action to eradicate the graft from the corpse, "eating" it and healing 3d8+8 HP.
Once killed, the survivors gain a permanent (non dispellable) +2 inherent bonus on saves agains necromantic effects.

atemu1234
2014-05-26, 01:35 PM
If you want glass orbs, then go with this: they come in four different colors: Red, Blue, Green, Brown. You smash one, it summons an elemental. If you can't figure out which elements based on the colors, you may need a little help. Red is fire, blue is water, green is air, brown is earth. Now, each of these elementals you summon are bound to you for 1+1d4 minutes, and must follow your commands. That'd be interesting.

MrNobody
2014-05-26, 01:39 PM
If you want glass orbs, then go with this: they come in four different colors: Red, Blue, Green, Brown. You smash one, it summons an elemental. If you can't figure out which elements based on the colors, you may need a little help. Red is fire, blue is water, green is air, brown is earth. Now, each of these elementals you summon are bound to you for 1+1d4 minutes, and must follow your commands. That'd be interesting.

Good idea! But since it needs to be "necromantic themed" they should be necromentals (Libris mortis p.112) instead of standards elementals!

atemu1234
2014-05-26, 01:42 PM
Good idea! But since it needs to be "necromantic themed" they should be necromentals (Libris mortis p.112) instead of standards elementals!

Or maybe if you wanted them to be evil but not undead, go with the demonically infused elemental template from i believe it was Dragon Compendium.

MrNobody
2014-05-26, 01:47 PM
Or maybe if you wanted them to be evil but not undead, go with the demonically infused elemental template from i believe it was Dragon Compendium.

Or the "elemental grues" from Complete arcane! (p.153... maybe advanced to 5-6HD) :smallsmile:

sideswipe
2014-05-26, 01:54 PM
in the bag there is only a small note. and a key. say the key is to a tomb containing the wealth of a dead deity from long ago. get them to make a history or religion check. if they succeed on like DC 20 ish maybe 25 say that it is rumoured that all the artefacts of the deity were placed in this tomb along with the combined wealth of his entire faith. it would be millions of gold in converted wealth.

they say "major plot hook and wealth!" and go there.

OOPS! its tomb of horrors and they cannot escape. if they get through it they get a bunch of real artefacts and stupid wealth.
they will probably die......

would be fun to run and the reward would be vast.

Gildedragon
2014-05-26, 02:06 PM
an undead bag of tricks?

bag of tricks:

Pale

Black

Midnight

D%
Undead
D%
Undead
D%