PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder So, I want to make classes for each guild in Ravnica

SkarnerDaBest
2014-05-26, 09:03 AM
This one goes out to anyone who knows MtG well enough to know what I'm talking about! As such, I would appreciate people commenting who actually know about Ravnica and it's guilds in order to keep the discussion on topic.

My friends are currently playing in a game where the world is based around MtG's Ravnica, the City of Guilds. It got me thinking, what classes would be best for each guild, either utilizing the old or new guild mechanics or the general theme of the guild. So far I'm having fun trying to think some of these up, but then some of them give me a bit of trouble like Boros or Azorius. So i'll make a list of whatever sounds best and update it as the discussion continues. I think this could be a fun one.

Don't need to really include feats unless necessary for the build I'd say. Same goes for spells and other such things. This isn't supposed to be too detailed since all in all there are 10 separate builds.
I would say that Psionics are allowed as well as Path of War since the Guilds of Ravnica are so diverse. PoW just seems to fit Boros like a glove and the new Dimir use a lot of mind magic now.

Current List
Azorius: Paladins, Law Domain Clerics, Inquisitors, Cavaliers

Orzhov: Death Domain Clerics, Necromancer Wizards, Inquisitors, Cavaliers

Dimir: Rogues, Illusionist and Necromancy Wizards, Trickery Domain Clerics, Stalkers

Izzet: Wizards, Sorcerers, Magi, Alchemist,

Rakdos: Barbarians, Fighters, Rogues

Golgari: Druids, Necromancy Wizards, Rangers, Nature, Plant, and Death Domain Clerics, Witches

Gruul: Barbarians, Fighters, Rangers, Druids, Nature Domain Clerics, Sorcerers, Witches

Boros: Paladins, Fighters, Cavaliers, Clerics, Warlords

Selesnya: Paladins, Clerics, Warlords, Druids, Rangers, Nature and Community Domain Clerics, Transmuter Wizards

Simic: Druids, Wizards, Alchemists, Rangers and Magi

Gildedragon
2014-05-26, 09:54 AM
Ohrzov is composed of: death domain clerics, Necromancer wizards
Lich, Ghost, vampire are all common templates
Muscle is undead minions for the most part

Izzet: Alchemists, Kn domain clerics, wizards (illusionists, evokers, conjurers)
Dragons, kobolds, gnomes bolster the ranks

Dimir: rogues, assassins, illusion oriented sorcerers, trickery domain clerics and similar oracles. Poison oriented alchemists

SkarnerDaBest
2014-05-26, 10:40 AM
My personal favorite guild is Simic and I figured they should probably be represented by Alchemists and Synthesist summoners.

Do you think with the new Dimir that any sort of Psionics would fit in the ranks? they seemed to trifle with memory much more in the newer stuff.

Sayt
2014-05-26, 10:41 AM
Azorius: Wizards, law domain Clerics, Magi and Cavaliers, Paladins, some inquisitors and [Warder]. For a single build, I'd go an Abjurer Wizard or Protection/Law Cleric.
Orzhov: Death domain clerics, Necromancers, Cavaliers, inquisitors, a few rogues and fighters as thugs. Favored build: Death Cleric, SoDs and miniomancy
Dimir: Magi, Rogues, Slayers, Illusionist and Transmutation Wizards, trickery domain clerics, [Stalker] and alchemist. Arcane Trickster seems perfect. Daggermark poisoner is a fitting PRC choice.
Izzet: Sorcerers, Wizards and Magi and Alchemists of all stripes[Psion?]. If there was a Wizard/Alchemist Theurge, I'd suggest that, but Wizard in absense of that.
Rakdos: Barbarians, Fighters, Conujurers, Demoniacs, Rogues and Slayers. Demon Totem Barbarian.
Golgari: Necromancer Wizards, Druids, Rangers, [Stalker]. I'd go with a Death Domain Druid (Not legal, but flavour appropriate)
Gruul: Druids, Barbarians, Nature Clerics, Sorcerers, no prepared arcane casters, Rangers. Barbarian, Probably an Ogre or hill giant or something.
Boros: Clerics, Paladins and Warlords, some fighters, maybe some Cavaliers, Oracles, Mystery Cultist[Warlord]. I'm actually thinking maybe Paladin 2+/Warlord+, focusing on Scarlet Throne and Golden Lion. Knight of Ozem would be appropriate for a PRC.
Selesnya: Paladins, Clerics, [Warlords], Druids, Rangers, nature domain clerics, transmuter wizards, Magaambyani Arcanist. I'd go Druid or Magaambyani Arcanist.
Simic: Druids, Wizards, Alchemists, Rangers and Magi.

Oracles go in mostly the same places as Clerics, mysteries as appropriate. Bards...are gateless, I think. Sorcerers fit in odd places, and go by bloodline, generally.

That s my estimation

Psyren
2014-05-26, 10:46 AM
Remember that Dimir use undead extensively too, most notably vampires.

Also, very few folks in Azorius (or indeed any of the guilds) are truly good, so you may have to tweak paladins slightly.

Sayt
2014-05-26, 11:02 AM
Remember that Dimir use undead extensively too, most notably vampires.

Also, very few folks in Azorius (or indeed any of the guilds) are truly good, so you may have to tweak paladins slightly.

I figure it's very much in the tone of Paladin's of Abadar on Golarion. They're not a big proportion of the Paladin Population, but they're a recognisable demographic.

Snowbluff
2014-05-26, 11:04 AM
PF only? Hehehe... no.

Boros includes Crusaders, Bards, and Warblades. A lot of what they do includes Bardblade style tactics.

Dimir uses Beguilers. Beguilers pretty much cover everything from Stolen Identity to mind control.

Golgari uses Druids, Blighters, and possible Dread Necromancers. For PF, witches.

Gruul would be Barbarians and more Druids/Spirit shaman. Possibly Warblades. Probably not enough rage.

SkarnerDaBest
2014-05-26, 11:07 AM
PF only? Hehehe... no.

Boros includes Crusaders, Bards, and Warblades.

Dimir uses Beguilers.

Golgari uses Druids, Blighters, and possible Dread Necromancers. For PF, witches.

Gruul would be Barbarians and more Druids/Spirit shaman. Possibly Warblades.

I completely agree that 3.5 would give a lot of great tools, but for the sake of familiarity, most of my friends are PF players.
Otherwise, i completly agree with the things you listed. BTW, Path of War is the PF version of Tome of Battle in case you didn't know.

Snowbluff
2014-05-26, 11:15 AM
I completely agree that 3.5 would give a lot of great tools, but for the sake of familiarity, most of my friends are PF players.
Otherwise, i completly agree with the things you listed. BTW, Path of War is the PF version of Tome of Battle in case you didn't know.

I know. I support PoW. It's good. Bardblades are impossible in PF and PoW, and wouldn't perform as well in PF anyway. :smalltongue:

Gildedragon
2014-05-26, 11:33 AM
Note that if pact magic 3rd party stuff is allowed it fits beautifully with Ohrzov
Ohrzov also has a lot of L paladin types, tending to LN and LE
Ancestor domain or mystery oracles

3.5 wise: Eidolons and eidoloncers

grarrrg
2014-05-26, 02:58 PM
Since everyone else is doing a "by guild" thing, I thought I'd do a "by class" thing.
CLASSES IN MANY GUILDS:
These are more of a ratio type thing. Example: pretty much EVERY guild will have some Clerics and Oracles, but some have many more of one than the other.

Cleric/Inquisitor/Oracle: Present in most/all. Depends on how structured/ordered/lawful the guild is. Inquisitors more in Military/Sneaky guilds, Oracles in chaotic, Clerics in the more ordered.

Sorcerer/Witch/Wizard: Again, depends on structure/order. More Wizards in the ordered guilds, more Sorcerers in the chaotic ones. Witches are somewhere in the middle.

Paladin/Monk: Ordered/Good guilds (Paladin being most ordered/good)
Antipaladin/Barbarian: Chaotic/Evil guilds (Antipaladins most chaotic/evil)
Cavalier/Samurai/Fighter: 'neutral' guilds (Samurai lean towards Order, Fighters towards Chaos)

Druid/Ranger/Summoner: replaces some of the above in the nature/GREEN guilds

CLASSES IN FEW GUILDS
Alchemist: Izzet, Simic
Bard: Selesnya, Rakdos (they don't share songs...)
Gunslinger: Izzet (while gunslingers are not common in Fantasy settings, I think Izzet Gunslingers are a perfect fit)
Magus: Boros, very much Boros
Ninja/Rogue: Dimir, Orzhov

SkarnerDaBest
2014-05-27, 01:03 AM
Since everyone else is doing a "by guild" thing, I thought I'd do a "by class" thing.

I like that approach as well! Personally a fan of the Gunslinger so glad you included it! :D

TiaC
2014-05-27, 01:36 AM
There was a homebrew that made a class for each guild. Here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?board=87.0) are some. There were one or two more on GitP, but the tables are all broke.