PDA

View Full Version : Making an Attack on Titan Campaign Setting

atemu1234
2014-05-26, 01:31 PM
I'm building a campaign setting meant to mimic the world of Attack on Titan. For the titans, I was thinking humans with the Kaiju template, for titan shifters I was probably going to homebrew a couple feats or maybe even a character class. But I also need help with roleplaying inspiration, other rules, and any problems with what I have planned.

pilvento
2014-05-27, 02:42 PM
First of all im going to tell you I have only seen the animated series, I liked it at first but then it got super slow and in the end they explained nothing. In my opinion its way too over rated.

That aside, if you want to make an exact version of it in a DnD campaign you already know the plot so try to focus on how you are gonna rule the monsters and combats, I say you try to figure out a diferent kind of templates for the monsters where their height matters more than their size, a Huge template can be Colosal, you can use diferent terrain altitude and give your players bonuces for using them. Homebrew that "cable machine thing" and make it a skill so they can use it as a move action to move from roof to roof.

Of course if your setting is going to have magic then most of this things i just mentioned are kinda obsolete, why bother on that skill if you can fly, etc...

The ability to morph into a titan can be a simple template with uses per day just like a rage. Let the players make their tactical desitions about who should morph each time, dont want uses per day? give them a CON penalty after the morph, you can also make it a skill check just like "control shape" for lycantrophie.

Thats a start, hope those ideas work. I would pepare a single encounter and show the sistem and ideas to your players, see how it works out.

atemu1234
2014-05-27, 03:20 PM
First of all im going to tell you I have only seen the animated series, I liked it at first but then it got super slow and in the end they explained nothing. In my opinion its way too over rated.

That aside, if you want to make an exact version of it in a DnD campaign you already know the plot so try to focus on how you are gonna rule the monsters and combats, I say you try to figure out a diferent kind of templates for the monsters where their height matters more than their size, a Huge template can be Colosal, you can use diferent terrain altitude and give your players bonuces for using them. Homebrew that "cable machine thing" and make it a skill so they can use it as a move action to move from roof to roof.

Of course if your setting is going to have magic then most of this things i just mentioned are kinda obsolete, why bother on that skill if you can fly, etc...

The ability to morph into a titan can be a simple template with uses per day just like a rage. Let the players make their tactical desitions about who should morph each time, dont want uses per day? give them a CON penalty after the morph, you can also make it a skill check just like "control shape" for lycantrophie.

Thats a start, hope those ideas work. I would pepare a single encounter and show the sistem and ideas to your players, see how it works out.

I was going to make it more like rage than wild shape, but the input is appreciated. Another major point is that the PCs will probably all be titan shifters or they wouldn't last very long in combat with a Colossal being at CR 15.

ArqArturo
2014-05-27, 03:22 PM
Dwarf mercenaries would be in high demand :).

atemu1234
2014-05-27, 03:29 PM
Dwarf mercenaries would be in high demand :).

How so? Unless I'm mistaken, the template wouldn't make them giants.

pilvento
2014-05-27, 04:55 PM
I like more the idea of facing titans in the epic old fashion... you know... not being a titan myself. If every encounter is going to be like that then just use social and skills out of combat and durning you use the rest of your character sheet with rage penalties. Titan vs Titan all the time means no need for templates, and you save a lot of work.

Seer_of_Heart
2014-05-27, 05:06 PM
I believe it is a reference to Levi's small stature.

atemu1234
2014-05-27, 05:34 PM
I believe it is a reference to Levi's small stature.

That makes more sense as an elf.

ArqArturo
2014-05-27, 05:42 PM
How so? Unless I'm mistaken, the template wouldn't make them giants.

Giant training.

Also, besides dwarves, I could also see Gnome Giant Slayer NPCs also lending their services for coin.

Also, A warforged that can turn into a titan? I'd like to see that idea (http://youtu.be/ZgyLEkGSM-c) :smalltongue:.

MrSmileyPika
2017-06-16, 03:29 PM
Maybe use the Troll stat block as Titans but just add the fact that they can only be killed by the nape... the troll can regenerate too, so it should work!

Tainted_Scholar
2017-06-16, 03:37 PM
Titans should have regeneration that can only be overcome by attacking the back of their neck. I would make it so that the player's have to be in range of the Titan's neck in order to attack the weak spot maybe with a penalty to the attack roll. Or you could you those variant rules for attacking specific body parts, but I would recommend against it.

Also Titans probably shouldn't have a con score, otherwise they'd pass out from damage to their legs and such. What's more is, Titans probably wouldn't have very much HP, they've very flimsy in the show.

atemu1234
2017-06-16, 04:03 PM
It feels odd to wake up and find one of my old threads has been necro'd.

Tainted_Scholar
2017-06-16, 04:14 PM
It feels odd to wake up and find one of my old threads has been necro'd.

Oh wow, I didn't even realise it was a necro. I feel kinda silly for offering advice on a thread that was started two years ago.