PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Rod Components

Afgncaap5
2014-05-26, 05:19 PM
I was just looking through the DMG and noticed the description of how rods are created contained this particular sentence: "If spells are involved in the prerequisites for making the rod, the creator must have prepared the spells to be cast (or must know the spells, in the case of a sorcerer or bard) but need not provide any material components or focuses the spells require, nor are any XP costs inherent in a prerequisite spell incurred in the creation of the item."

Am I reading it properly, then, that Rods don't require XP costs outside of the basic 1/25th Market Price XP cost? Like, a Rod that used Permanency or Wish wouldn't have an XP component for those spells during the creation portion? Similarly, if a spell requires a material component, it's not needed either?

I've always liked Rods thematically (they seem like what Staves *should* be, lorewise) but it bugged me that rods didn't have much, rulewise, to differentiate them from Rings or Wondrous Items. But... if I'm reading those notes properly, it may be a good incentive for some players in particular circumstances.