PDA

View Full Version : Teevo!

Krytha
2007-02-17, 01:18 AM
Even though this may turn into the teevo fanclub thread, let's start it off differently.

Without further ado, POLL!

starwoof
2007-02-17, 01:20 AM
I think it looks like a pokemon. It even only says its name!

Glome
2007-02-17, 01:21 AM
I wonder what Teevo's stats are?

Yellow
2007-02-17, 01:27 AM
Teevo's only desire is to see it's master happy.

Xykon is entirely lacking in any worth as a semi-living creature for the way he chooses to treat poor Teevo.

Kjata
2007-02-17, 02:49 AM
Oh jesus... im not sure if ur a pimp or a dip**** for making this poll...

SupraGuy
2007-02-17, 03:42 AM
In school, we had a party event called a "terminal bash" -- it typically featured a VT100 and one or more fire axes. I vote we substitute Teevo, and find a keg of beer.

Dell
2007-02-17, 03:47 AM
Teevo rules.

I especially like the rainbow letters in the speech bubbles :)

Turcano
2007-02-17, 03:53 AM
The sad Teevo makes me feel happy inside.

WarriorTribble
2007-02-17, 04:21 AM
I'll take a sad Teevo in snow.

The Hammer of Thor
2007-02-17, 07:08 AM
Will Teevo lose his powers and join the Linear Guild? Is Teevo the Snarl? Who can tell?

TheAnimal
2007-02-17, 07:12 AM
Well, Teevo sure got my antipathies right away. Stupid little pokémon wannabe. :smallannoyed:
I sincerely hope :xykon: turns him into something unnatural.

Marller
2007-02-17, 07:19 AM
Teevo rules one of the nine hells of baator and his minions are the :roach:.

:biggrin:

TARINunit9
2007-02-17, 10:05 AM
Ummm... WHAT?! explain the poll choices to me. I mean, they're all the same word, but with different smilies :smallconfused:.

Clover
2007-02-17, 10:45 AM
Ummm... WHAT?! explain the poll choices to me. I mean, they're all the same word, but with different smilies :smallconfused:.

I just assumed we picked which of the expressions it made in the comic that we like the most... but thats just me...

Ayya the Fearsome
2007-02-17, 10:46 AM
teevo iz teh pwner!

stabbybelkar
2007-02-17, 10:52 AM
*sigh* my tivo box broke the day before this strip came out :frown:

Hai-pe-neki
2007-02-17, 12:25 PM
Teevo is just the old version of the MitD...

MitD is just a plasma version of Teevo!!

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-17, 12:34 PM
I don't get the Teevo references. I assume its some american equivalent o a Sky+ box.

Xylin Nialo
2007-02-17, 12:52 PM
I love how the Teevo has a rope around its foot, which is supposed to connect it to the huge cyrstal ball scrying device thingy.
:xykon: And Xykon rules!!!! :xykon:

Crispy SpThief
2007-02-17, 01:22 PM
Its all about the sad lil Teevo.. so cute!

Josh Inno
2007-02-17, 01:27 PM
I sincerely hope :xykon: turns him into something unnatural.

*RaE* He already IS something unnatural.

Josh Inno
2007-02-17, 01:30 PM
I don't get the Teevo references. I assume its some american equivalent o a Sky+ box.

Not sure what a Sky+ box is, but it's a DVR. Digital Video Recorder. It records shows you want to watch while you're doing other things, so you can skip the boring parts of shows, and boring parts of sports games where referees are staring into boxes with black cloaks over their heads. But best of all... you can skip commercials!

ampcptlogic
2007-02-17, 01:32 PM
I'll take a sad Teevo in snow.

MegaTokyo FTW!

dragongirl13
2007-02-17, 01:38 PM
Why is it spelled Teevo in the comic? In reality it's Tivo.

Still, I loved the happy Teevo.

Totally Guy
2007-02-17, 01:42 PM
glug not get references

twerk_face
2007-02-17, 05:06 PM
Please, Giant, make Teevo the 5th member of Xykons gang!!!!! (Xykon, Redcloak, MitD, and Demon Roaches being the first 4 (or five, if you count each roach seperately). It would be SUCH a great adition!!! Please, start a Teevo fanclub somebody. I definitly woulud join, but i'm too lazy and irrespsonsible to start one :P

Demented
2007-02-17, 05:12 PM

Because TiVo is copyrighted. Also hence Frudu, Samwose, and the Ming.

skinkatlarge
2007-02-17, 05:14 PM
Poor little sad Teevo still pulls an out-loud "awwww" from me. After the third read. I think I need to start reassessing my overattachment to drawn fictional characters.

Maratanos
2007-02-17, 05:42 PM
Because TiVo is copyrighted. Also hence Frudu, Samwose, and the Ming.

But it's fair use, so... We could have TiVo, Frodo, Samwise, etc.

Demented
2007-02-17, 06:04 PM
Ehh... I only recall fair use applying to political parody. Then again, copyright law isn't a gripping literary sensation that I take the trouble to memorize word for word.

Furin_Mirado
2007-02-17, 07:00 PM
The thing is just damn cute and fits into Xykon's Crew remarkably well.

Ave
2007-02-17, 07:08 PM

Because this is an alternate reality?
Why is it spelled Frudu instead of Frodo?

It is not a TiVo (the thingie you connect to a TV), it is a TeeVo which you can connect to a widescreen crystal ball.
I hope it is clear now :)

KBF
2007-02-17, 08:18 PM
It has been answered 3 times why it's Frudu, and Teevo.

Copyright Laws.

It is illegal to use a copyrighted name in something you sell for money.

Maratanos
2007-02-17, 08:24 PM
Oh, for God's sake, IT'S FAIR USE! That's not good enough.

Skippy the Dire
2007-02-18, 12:45 AM
I'm not going to ask the Giant to risk a trademark lawsuit (which would be more expensive to defend than it would be worth) to defend a one-strip joke. Fair use or not, if he wants to be cautious, I have no problem with that.

Whamme
2007-02-18, 01:00 AM
It's just as funny with the different name. Possibly funnier.

Justinian
2007-02-18, 02:12 AM
But it's fair use, so... We could have TiVo, Frodo, Samwise, etc.

Insofar as I understand it, fair use only protects a webcomic artist if they're only profiting from the site based on individual private donations. Rich is selling books of his collected material however, so the content of those books can't violate any copyrights.

This also explains how 8-Bit Theater can use Final Fantasy sprites to tell its story but cannot sell a collected book.

ARMOURERERIC
2007-02-18, 02:41 AM
In school, we had a party event called a "terminal bash" -- it typically featured a VT100 and one or more fire axes. I vote we substitute Teevo, and find a keg of beer.

When we were in college, we had a contest where we would all leave our Timex StClair computers on continuously and whoever's keyboard caught fire first wins!

Eric

ARMOURERERIC
2007-02-18, 02:52 AM
There's also a hobgolin chained to the roof holding a dwaft helm at about a 40 incline that the castle staff referrs to as Dish.

Eric

Krytha
2007-02-18, 02:56 AM
Sad Teevo's tears are like sugar gumdrops that melt on my tongue.

Illiander
2007-02-18, 04:59 AM
I wonder if Xykon will reprogram the TEEVO to be useful? Mabey give it a second personality that's a lethal assasin, who'd suspect the cute little TEEVO box?

and again, sorry for the rant (this one on copyright)

Copyright Laws.

IANAL, but from what I remember, you are legally allowed to use 5% (might be 10%, been a while since I read up on it) of ANY copyrighted material, without giving the author any payment, accredation, or have any restrictions on what you do with it (this is fair use, but copyright holders don't like to admit it). You might get into trouble with defining what 5% is though. (If it wasn't for the Micky Mouse Sonny Bono Copyright act, he'd be able to use Frodo and Sam themselves, because the copyright would of expired)

However, the TiVo name is almost certainly trademarked (which I think is what you mean), which means that you can't use it to represent something that's not connected the the company IN THE FIELD THAT THE COMPANY WORKS IN (Rover cars & Rover dog food, for example, could both be copyrighted brands under the name 'Rover'). I think parodying TiVo would probably be fine (spelling it TiVo) because tradmarks are meant to protect company reputations, and this is clearly a work of parody (I'm reasonably sure that fair use protects parody).

However I can understand Rich not wanting to risk it, what with the sue-happy nature of the USA.

MisterM
2007-02-18, 06:12 AM
For all of you (including myself) who don't know what Teevo is:
TiVo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tivo)

Freelance Henchman
2007-02-18, 07:04 AM
Love the Teevo. Where does Xykon buy all this stuff!?

V Junior
2007-02-18, 09:40 AM
teevo iz teh pwner!

junior agree with ayya. teevo cute and teevo confuzzled. down with skeleton xykon person UP WITH TEEVO!

Willahad
2007-02-18, 03:03 PM
Teevo and Thog would be great together. Thog would love hin

Grendita
2007-02-18, 04:13 PM
:thog: "Thog loves Teevo"

(Just had too)

ARMOURERERIC
2007-02-18, 10:58 PM
I wonder if Xykon will reprogram the TEEVO to be useful? Mabey give it a second personality that's a lethal assasin, who'd suspect the cute little TEEVO box?

and again, sorry for the rant (this one on copyright)

Xykon's Teevo hold his enemies captive and forces the to watch all the episodes of "The Powers of Matthew Starr" over and over again

TheAnimal
2007-02-19, 07:27 AM
*RaE* He already IS something unnatural.
Duh. :smallredface:
Well, then I'll just hope :xykon: will make him suffer.

rgoodfellow
2007-02-19, 09:17 AM
Even though this may turn into the teevo fanclub thread, let's start it off differently.

Without further ado, POLL!

I'm not sure if I'm more disturbed by this poll itself or by the fact that someone actually took the time to set it up.

Enlong
2007-02-19, 09:39 AM
Love the Teevo. Where does Xykon buy all this stuff!?
QuestBuy!!

David94
2007-02-19, 09:39 AM
It has been answered 3 times why it's Frudu, and Teevo.

Copyright Laws.

UNLESS you make a deal with them to give them a portion of the profits and they approve of it.

Greebo
2007-02-19, 10:33 AM
UNLESS you make a deal with them to give them a portion of the profits and they approve of it.
Erm, not exactly - its illegal to use copyrighted material for, well, for a lot of things, without approval. Getting that approval may or may not involve a financial deal.

And satire and parody is given a broader brush. I seriously doubt that TG would have gotten into any trouble if he had used Frodo and Samwise in the comic because the reference is satirical, but he's wisely and understandably playing it safe. Plus the "Destory the Ming" reference is priceless! :)

Josh Inno
2007-02-19, 04:08 PM
Duh. :smallredface:
Well, then I'll just hope :xykon: will make him suffer.

It's okay. We all make slips like that sometimes.

Krytha
2007-02-20, 02:23 AM
I wonder how many -ings he had to go through until he found that one...

Destroy the king! noo Destroy the zing! nooo Destroy the thing! clooosee...

twerk_face
2007-02-20, 06:44 AM
QuestBuy!!

Lovin' it. :smallbiggrin:

V Junior
2007-03-13, 02:41 PM
Lovin' it. :smallbiggrin:

Ba ba ba ba, I'm lovin' it.

Baalzebub
2007-03-13, 02:45 PM
Go Teevo! :D

Aegeus
2007-03-13, 08:35 PM
Must... resist... urge... to... stat... out... Teevo...
*fails will save*

Teevo
Tiny Construct
HD: 1d10 (5 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20 ft.
AC: 16 (+2 size, +4 armor (metal case)) Eviscerate (see below) grants an additional +4 dex bonus, bringing the total to 20.
Base Attack: +0
Attacks: Bite +4 (only while eviscerating)
Damage: Bite 1d6+4
Face/Reach: 2.5 ft./0 ft.
Abilities: Str 10 Dex 10 Con -- Int 3 Wis 10 Cha 10 (Teevo is barely able to talk, but otherwise we have not seen it in action. These are very tentative.)

Special Abilities:

Teevo's Remote: A Teevo has a special magic item attuned to it called a Remote. The owner of the remote can activate or deactivate any of Teevo's special abilities as a standard action.

Scrying Hookup: A Teevo only functions when it is physically attached to a crystal ball, and any of its abilities that affect scrying only affect the crystal ball that it is tied to.

Record: A Teevo can keep a log of up to 3 hours of scrying "footage". Rewind an Fast Forward only function within this 3-hour span. Rewind and Fast Forward do not interrupt the recording process.

Rewind and Fast Forward: A Teevo can cause its crystal ball to display any footage that was previously recorded, and the wielder of the remote can switch between any 2 points in the footage at will.

Delete: Teevo can remove sections from its footage of any length, at will.

You Might Also Like...: If Teevo is not being commanded and has extra time in its record available, it will activate its crystal ball and scry on any scenes related to previously recorded footage. Teevo can use this ability without being commanded to do so. It is possible to disable this feature, but knowing how to do so requires a DC 40 knowledge(arcana) check, or a DC 30 decipher script check on the manual.

Eviscerate: Pressing this button on the remote causes Teevo to enter a furious rage. It gains a +8 to strength and dexterity and the ability to use its bite attack for 1 minute. Teevo will attack any creatures within reach, except for the remote wielder, for as long as the rage lasts. This ability is usable 3 times per day (any further uses drain its batteries too much).

Construction: Creating a Teevo costs 2000 gp and a successful Craft(metalworking) check (DC 15). Animating it requires command, modify memory, and scrying

Special Note about construction: Creating a Teevo without being licensed to do so by the manufacturer instantly summons 2 lawyers (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0032.html), who impose severe fines and confiscate the Teevo.

This will be modified as we see more of Teevo in action.
Critiques? Comments? Accolades? Death Threats?

Krytha
2007-03-13, 09:11 PM
Gee I thought this thread died... but Teevo... Teevo...

IT'S ALIIIIIIVEE!!!

l)ark_ssj9kevin
2007-03-14, 11:12 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0416.html
You forgot Evil Teevo

Legendary
2007-03-14, 11:18 PM
Considering that this poll was made the same day comic #415 came out, no, evil Teevo was not forgotten.

master ranger
2007-12-18, 05:18 PM
TEEVO ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!! Sorry i had chocolate today.

Heroic
2007-12-18, 06:20 PM
Teevo will take the throne from Xykon! Remember that! :smallbiggrin:

wojonatior
2007-12-18, 07:09 PM
TEEVO:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

GrayMatter
2007-12-18, 10:27 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0416.html
You forgot Evil Teevo

Yes! Teevil! >:E

Where's a backwards D for the evil grimace....

Accountant
2007-12-18, 10:32 PM
TEEVO ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!! Sorry i had chocolate today.

Seriously?

This thread is, like, ten months old.

Azukius
2007-12-19, 03:11 AM
Copyright expires after 50 years, fellowship was printed longer then that ago, so it can be used

bluish_wolf
2007-12-19, 05:20 AM
Copyright expires after 50 years, fellowship was printed longer then that ago, so it can be used

I thought it was 50 years after the author's death.

What does that have to do with anything, anyway?

Bavarian itP
2007-12-19, 05:41 AM
http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/7061/necro9sh.jpg

I wanted to use this card, because it's funny imo. Personally, I think thread necromancy rocks!

SoD
2007-12-19, 11:40 AM
Personally, I think thread necromancey is frowned upon. :smallmad:

Teevo!

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-19, 02:36 PM
I thought it was 50 years after the author's death.

What does that have to do with anything, anyway?
Only if whomever inherits the intellectual property rights doesn't renew it in some fashion (for example, Christopher Tolkien is keeping a watchful eye on the Lord of the Rings license; it probably won't lapse into public domain anytime soon.)

I apologize for contributing to this now-useless thread, but something needed explaining. I think this might be cross-posted from another topic anyway.

House_of_Dexter
2007-12-19, 03:33 PM
Only if whomever inherits the intellectual property rights doesn't renew it in some fashion (for example, Christopher Tolkien is keeping a watchful eye on the Lord of the Rings license; it probably won't lapse into public domain anytime soon.)

I apologize for contributing to this now-useless thread, but something needed explaining. I think this might be cross-posted from another topic anyway.

ahh...they now have 95 years of protection...and adding more to an asinine thread...
:smallbiggrin:

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#hlc
Works Originally Created and Published or Registered before January 1, 1978

Under the law in effect before 1978, copyright was secured either on the date a work was published with a copyright notice or on the date of registration if the work was registered in unpublished form. In either case, the copyright endured for a first term of 28 years from the date it was secured. During the last (28th) year of the first term, the copyright was eligible for renewal. The Copyright Act of 1976 extended the renewal term from 28 to 47 years for copyrights that were subsisting on January 1, 1978, or for pre-1978 copyrights restored under the Uruguay Round Agreements Act (URAA), making these works eligible for a total term of protection of 75 years. Public Law 105-298, enacted on October 27, 1998, further extended the renewal term of copyrights still subsisting on that date by an additional 20 years, providing for a renewal term of 67 years and a total term of protection of 95 years.

Public Law 102-307, enacted on June 26, 1992, amended the 1976 Copyright Act to provide for automatic renewal of the term of copyrights secured between January 1, 1964, and December 31, 1977. Although the renewal term is automatically provided, the Copyright Office does not issue a renewal certificate for these works unless a renewal application and fee are received and registered in the Copyright Office.

Public Law 102-307 makes renewal registration optional. Thus, filing for renewal registration is no longer required to extend the original 28-year copyright term to the full 95 years. However, some benefits accrue to renewal registrations that were made during the 28th year.

For more detailed information on renewal of copyright and the copyright term, request Circular 15, Renewal of Copyright; Circular 15a, Duration of Copyright; and Circular 15t, Extension of Copyright Terms.

Roland St. Jude
2007-12-19, 09:44 PM
Personally, I think thread necromancey is frowned upon...

Sheriff of Moddingham: It is.