PDA

View Full Version : Soulknife/Monk anyone?

Quellian-dyrae
2007-02-17, 01:35 AM
So it was jokingly suggested that a Soulknife revision was needed. I'm kinda unsure about whether or not they're underpowered--seems to me that considering a standard ability score array a two weapon 20th level soulknife can render a 20th level warrior of near any type helpless in a round with a knife to the soul keyed to the proper ability score, among other things--but considering that they are a fighting class with a cleric's attack bonus, and the two times I played a soulknife I wound up not liking them much anyway, why not? Upon consideration, I figured that I'd take a cue from Complete Adventurer and Complete Scoundrel with some class joining feats...only...more than one. I dunno, these feats may be a bit overpowered (especially for someone who takes them all). I know the typical rule with these sorts of feats seems to be to avoid joining very important class features, and there are a couple I do that in anyway, but what can I say, the soulknife and monk dovetail so nicely, I have to see how much I can get away with.

Adaptable Mind Blade:
You can shape your mind blade in many ways.

Prerequisites: Shape Mind Blade class feature.

Benefits: You may shape your mind blade into any combination of simple or martial melee weapons that you are able to wield effectively. If you possess feats or abilities that allow you to use weapons of differing sizes than normal, you may shape your mind blade into the appropriate sizes. In any case, you are proficient with your mind blade and any feats that apply to your mind blade apply regardless of its form.

Adaptable Mind Blade, Improved:
You can shape your mind blade into more exotic forms.

Prerequisites: Shape Mind Blade class feature, Adaptable Mind Blade.

Benefits: You may add exotic melee weapons to your available mind blade shapes.

Fast as Thought:
You move and attack as fast as thought.

Prerequisites: Mind Blade class feature, Improved Unarmed Strike, Speed of Thought.

Benefits: Your soulknife levels stack with your monk levels for purposes of your unarmored speed bonus and your flurry of blows ability. You can treat your mind blade as a special monk weapon for purposes of your flurry of blows. You may multiclass freely between the monk and soulknife classes.

Add Speed to your list of available mind blade enhancements.

Harmony of Conflict:
You have combined the powers of your body, mind, and spirit.

Prerequisites: Mind Blade class feature, Improved Unarmed Strike.

Benefits: Your mind blade enhancement bonus and mind blade enhancements apply to your unarmed strikes. You may choose to use your unarmed strike damage in place of your normal mind blade damage. In addition, your monk and soulknife levels stack for purposes of your unarmed strike damage, mind blade enhancement, and mind blade enhancement bonus. You may multiclass freely between the monk and soulknife classes.

Add Flaming, Shocking, Flaming Burst, and Shocking Burst to your list of available mind blade enhancements.

Ki Blade:
You can charge your mind blade using Ki energy.

Prerequisites: Mind Blade class feature, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist.

Benefits: You gain one daily use of stunning fist per soulknife class level, much as with your monk class levels. Your soulknife and monk class levels stack for purposes of your psychic strike class feature, and you can use a psychic strike with either your unarmed strike or your mind blade. Additionally, you can spend two stunning fist uses to charge your mind blade with a psychic strike as a free action. You may do so even "between" attacks in a full attack action.

Add Ki Focus to your list of available mind blade enhancements.

Ki Blade, Improved:
Your bond between mind and Ki is even stronger

Prerequisites: Mind Blade class feature, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Ki Blade, Ki Strike.

Benefits: Your monk and soulknife levels stack for purposes of your Ki strike class feature, and your Ki strike applies to your mind blade as well as your unarmed strikes. Additionally, your psychic strike is now charged with Ki energy, rather than destructive mental energy, that erupts from your blade (or blow) on a hit. The destructive energy now functions normally even against foes immune to mental attacks.

Add Axiomic to your list of available mind blade enhancements.

jjpickar
2007-02-17, 11:43 AM
Actually I like this idea. Especially allowing monks and soulknives to multiclass freely. I don't know how to calculate balance but it seems alright to me.