PDA

View Full Version : Obscure Miniatures?

Bluydee
2014-05-26, 08:01 PM
Title says all. What are the most obscure/rare miniatures you've ever come across?

RedMage125
2014-05-26, 08:07 PM
I was really heavy into buying the WotC pre-painted ones when 3.5 hit. Had a BUNCH of the first several sets. By the time Underdark came out, my buying of minis slowed down (I started having bills to pay). I did buy some off of mini trading sites, and ended up getting one sent to me I think by mistake, because I would not have paid the price that was being asked for it. I still have it, still in the plastic.

It's a Huge Gold Dragon.

I've also got some Gnolls from the first set, which, despite being "Uncommon" were VERY hard to come by. I've got a Mind Flayer from that first set, too.

Lessee...I've got the rare GenCon only paint scheme of Elminster.

I've got a 1/2 orc fighter wielding a spiked chain, which is the only spiked chain figure I am aware of.

I've got a shardmind (4e race).

I've got all 3 Gargantuan Dragon minis.

My old roommate had the Colossal Red Dragon.

Bluydee
2014-05-26, 08:27 PM
I was really heavy into buying the WotC pre-painted ones when 3.5 hit. Had a BUNCH of the first several sets. By the time Underdark came out, my buying of minis slowed down (I started having bills to pay). I did buy some off of mini trading sites, and ended up getting one sent to me I think by mistake, because I would not have paid the price that was being asked for it. I still have it, still in the plastic.

It's a Huge Gold Dragon.

I've also got some Gnolls from the first set, which, despite being "Uncommon" were VERY hard to come by. I've got a Mind Flayer from that first set, too.

Lessee...I've got the rare GenCon only paint scheme of Elminster.

I've got a 1/2 orc fighter wielding a spiked chain, which is the only spiked chain figure I am aware of.

I've got a shardmind (4e race).

I've got all 3 Gargantuan Dragon minis.

My old roommate had the Colossal Red Dragon.

How do the gnoll miniature quality hold up compared to the quality of newer miniatures? The quality of these figures can be annoying; one time I hated the thri-kreen figure I had so much I ended up using my roommate's General Grievous collector's item statue the entire campaign

RedMage125
2014-05-26, 08:30 PM
How do the gnoll miniature quality hold up compared to the quality of newer miniatures? The quality of these figures can be annoying; one time I hated the thri-kreen figure I had so much I ended up using my roommate's General Grievous collector's item statue the entire campaign

They got better as the sets progressed. I love gnolls and have a gnoll from almost every set to feature them. Even if I have to buy it inidividually off ebay. I even have a Yeenoghu mini.

The Grue
2014-05-26, 08:44 PM
I think this thread should include pictures.

Grayson01
2014-05-26, 08:53 PM
I have all of the R.A. Salvator Minis Drizzit, Mirthal Hall Dwarf Gwen, ManyArrows, Wolfgar, IcingDeath, and ARTEMIS!!! I have a pretty rare Astral Giant, Some Lich Queen, I normally buy mine by piece. I was buying the sets but it wasn't worth it to me.

RedMage125
2014-05-26, 09:51 PM
I think this thread should include pictures.

I'd love to, but I'd have to find the stock pictures online, as I am currently away from my home for the next few months while the Navy trains me on a different aircraft. My books and minis are at home with my family.

Grayson01
2014-05-26, 10:37 PM
I'd love to, but I'd have to find the stock pictures online, as I am currently away from my home for the next few months while the Navy trains me on a different aircraft. My books and minis are at home with my family.

Oh the Joys of TDY!