PDA

View Full Version : Planar Ally Question

ChaosArchon
2014-05-27, 01:57 AM
Alright so Planar Ally reads that the caster can contact the ally to one task, no matter how simple or complex, unless the planar views it as suicidal. So my question is whether theres a limit on how long the task can take? For instance if I contracted the planar to act as a bodyguard for me for say a month, would that be a reasonable request or would most GMs shoot that down?

eggynack
2014-05-27, 02:00 AM
The spell requires that you pay the creature 100 GP/HD if the task is minutes/level, 500 for hours/level, and 1,000 for days/level. Thus, it stands to reason that the limit is days/level.

ChaosArchon
2014-05-27, 02:04 AM
Alright so my 2nd question is if they're just basically more expensive summons that last just as long provided your character isn't scrooge mcduck, whats the point of them?

eggynack
2014-05-27, 02:10 AM
Alright so my 2nd question is if they're just basically more expensive summons that last just as long provided your character isn't scrooge mcduck, whats the point of them?
Because they last longer, as you noted, which means that you can bring your summons to multiple encounters in a day, if you use the hours/level option, or even encounters across a number of days, if you use the days/level option. The latter is especially useful, as it means that your summons don't take any toll on your daily spells, if you cast it the day before adventuring, or just the day before in general. Moreover, the pool of planar allies is different, and likely larger than, the pool of summons. You can get some pretty nifty SLA's with the right choice.

Edit: The minutes/level version doesn't even really work in a combat context, as the casting time is 10 minutes. That mode is only really useful for SLA's that are good out of combat. The other modes are really what you're in it for.

ChaosArchon
2014-05-27, 02:12 AM
Aliright, thanks for the info, btw I'm assuming the lesser version isn't worth it and I should just wait for normal or greater? or is it worth?

eggynack
2014-05-27, 02:19 AM
Aliright, thanks for the info, btw I'm assuming the lesser version isn't worth it and I should just wait for normal or greater? or is it worth?
Depends on what you're getting, I think. I'm not familiar with the whole list of options, but if you call up a movanic deva (FF, 57), for example, you can gain access to plane shift, commune, and raise dead two levels early, along with a number of other useful SLA's. It's also worth keeping in mind that low HD creatures cost less, so if you can get the job with one of them, then that's a better option, and lesser planar ally can manage that.