PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Runestaffs or equivalent... Do they exist?

Bellberith
2014-05-27, 02:46 AM
As title.... do Psionic character get anything similar to the runestaff?

If not what are the ways an Ardent can expand his spell list without expanded knowledge?

Bellberith
2014-05-27, 03:05 AM
Also, does the greater crystal of arrow deflection deflect ANY ranged attack (including rays and whatnot) or just arrows?

thought id ask in same thread since i havent gotten an answer for this one yet.

Feint's End
2014-05-27, 03:22 AM
As title.... do Psionic character get anything similar to the runestaff?

If not what are the ways an Ardent can expand his power list without expanded knowledge?

Power list ... no casters here.

There is nothing similar to a runestaff. I assume you mean permanently expand or at least to be able to manifest the power with regard to your own pp.

However expanding your power list shouldn't be a problem on ardents. You get enough mantles and using the acf which let's you swap out powers for appropriate powers you should get all of the powers you need.
I guess you are not allowed to use pathfinder? The dark tempest expands your powerlist (or rather powers you can choose from) and depending on you build makes for a very strong melee ardent.

If you mean just getting more powers there is always psychic chirurgy. It is very expensive and dm dependant though (find a level 17+ manifester) so not quite optimal but if you can bring up a good reason you could make some sort of deal with your dm.

Last but not least you can always research powers which you then have I'm addition but this is a wonky area and also quite dm dependant because he can still say no.

Feint's End
2014-05-27, 03:25 AM
Also, does the greater crystal of arrow deflection deflect ANY ranged attack (including rays and whatnot) or just arrows?

thought id ask in same thread since i havent gotten an answer for this one yet.

Could you post the text of the item (preferably of least, lesser and greater)? I'm AFB right now.

gooddragon1
2014-05-27, 03:38 AM
Not pre-epic and not without transparency/DM adjudication. The Master Wand Feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#masterWand) can be extrapolated as master dorje for psionic dorje's. But that's epic and might also not be allowed.

Bellberith
2014-05-27, 03:52 AM
Could you post the text of the item (preferably of least, lesser and greater)? I'm AFB right now.

A crystal of arrow deflection protects you from ranged weapon attacks.

Least: This augment crystal grants you a +2 bonus to AC against ranged attacks.
Lesser: As the least crystal, except the bonus is +5.
Greater: As the least crystal, and you can deflect one ranged attack per round as if you had the Deflect Arrows feat.

in the above post i meant does the AC bonus apply to rays and whatnot.

avr
2014-05-27, 03:56 AM
Psionic characters can use power stones (Psionic equivalent of scrolls) or even other psionic characters like runestaffs. See here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#manifestAnUnknownPowerFr omAnothersPowersKnown

Feint's End
2014-05-27, 05:05 AM
A crystal of arrow deflection protects you from ranged weapon attacks.

Least: This augment crystal grants you a +2 bonus to AC against ranged attacks.
Lesser: As the least crystal, except the bonus is +5.
Greater: As the least crystal, and you can deflect one ranged attack per round as if you had the Deflect Arrows feat.

in the above post i meant does the AC bonus apply to rays and whatnot.

Let's go by RAW. The ac bonus applies against rays. The deflect does not since it specifies deflect arrows and in the description of deflect arrows it says it applies against ranged weapon attacks specifically. This all makes sense from a RAI point of view too.

Feint's End
2014-05-27, 05:12 AM
Psionic characters can use power stones (Psionic equivalent of scrolls) or even other psionic characters like runestaffs. See here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#manifestAnUnknownPowerFr omAnothersPowersKnown

Yeah avr has it right ... you can temporary increase your options but it's not really known and also quite action inefficient infight. If you have the money and time to spare it is a nice option regardless.

Elderand
2014-05-27, 05:20 AM
Yeah avr has it right ... you can temporary increase your options but it's not really known and also quite action inefficient infight. If you have the money and time to spare it is a nice option regardless.

It does offer a terrifying trick for erudites though. If they enter into a metaconcert with their own psycristal they now entirely ignore their unique power per day limit.

Jack_Simth
2014-05-27, 07:30 AM
That'd be why you don't do it in combat. You use that option for all your utility powers and your long-duration buff powers. It's not like the Psionic attack powers have any particular lack of flexibility.