PDA

View Full Version : Methods to not need to sleep?

Bellberith
2014-05-27, 04:47 AM
are there any methods i can use as an Ardent (11th level) to not need to sleep? powers, items anything.

Also if there is no way. how can i protect myself while i am sleeping.

Xaroth
2014-05-27, 06:03 AM
Play a Warforged.

Slipperychicken
2014-05-27, 06:17 AM
You could look up the spell Keep Watch (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/k/keep-watch) from PF.

Killer Angel
2014-05-27, 06:22 AM
You could look up the spell Keep Watch (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/k/keep-watch) from PF.

Any vigorous activity ends the effect. Combine it with a basic ring of sustenance, to shorten the "danger".

Alex12
2014-05-27, 06:50 AM
Play a Warforged.

Necropolitan or other undead would also work.

Bronk
2014-05-27, 07:18 AM
I'm not sure how much sleep you want to avoid, but elves just go into reverie, and are immune to normal sleep.

Alex12
2014-05-27, 07:28 AM
I'm not sure how much sleep you want to avoid, but elves just go into reverie, and are immune to normal sleep.

I don't think that's viable, since Elans (one of the standard psionic races, arguably the standard psionic race) similarly only need to trance for 4 hours.

sideswipe
2014-05-27, 07:56 AM
i don't know where it is but there is a bed roll that lets you sleep for 1 hour and be fully rested (including preparing spells) but you can only use it once in 2 days.

Halbaradkenafin
2014-05-27, 08:17 AM
i don't know where it is but there is a bed roll that lets you sleep for 1 hour and be fully rested (including preparing spells) but you can only use it once in 2 days.

Heward's Fortifying Bed Roll, Complete Mage P132

Xaroth
2014-05-27, 08:51 AM
Necropolitan or other undead would also work.

Or Half-celestial, it changes your type to Outsider. Outsiders don't need to sleep but can do so if they want.

Bellberith
2014-05-27, 02:49 PM
I don't think that's viable, since Elans (one of the standard psionic races, arguably the standard psionic race) similarly only need to trance for 4 hours.

Where does it say this? I cannot find it in the Elan section of the EPH.

So there is no way for me to be able to not sleep or protect myself while sleeping with items or powers? (i should have specified it in the top section, but i am an Elan and changing race/adding a template is out of the question.)

(If there is no way ill look into getting a ring of keep watch or something)

Alex12
2014-05-27, 05:16 PM
Where does it say this? I cannot find it in the Elan section of the EPH.
Second column of page 9, last paragraph in the Physical Description section. It's not in the SRD, though.

So there is no way for me to be able to not sleep or protect myself while sleeping with items or powers? (i should have specified it in the top section, but i am an Elan and changing race/adding a template is out of the question.)

(If there is no way ill look into getting a ring of keep watch or something)

Well, if there's an arcanist or someone who can make a DC20 UMD check (to mimic the class feature of arcane spells) in the party, you could use an eternal wand of Rope Trick, though you'd need to increase the caster level up, which would almost certainly affect the cost (though I'm not real well-versed on item crafting, and couldn't tell you by how much)

Are you guarding yourself from potential enemies, or from your party members?

Arael666
2014-05-27, 05:36 PM
Personaly, I just use Lesser Restoration.

Bellberith
2014-05-27, 05:40 PM
Second column of page 9, last paragraph in the Physical Description section. It's not in the SRD, though.

Well, if there's an arcanist or someone who can make a DC20 UMD check (to mimic the class feature of arcane spells) in the party, you could use an eternal wand of Rope Trick, though you'd need to increase the caster level up, which would almost certainly affect the cost (though I'm not real well-versed on item crafting, and couldn't tell you by how much)

Are you guarding yourself from potential enemies, or from your party members?

Both, and the rope trick probably wont happen. something i can do by myself would be best.

Bellberith
2014-05-27, 05:43 PM
Personaly, I just use Lesser Restoration.

Then how do you get your power points / spell per day back?

Arael666
2014-05-27, 05:58 PM
Then how do you get your power points / spell per day back?

Usualy I play Divine casters so:

However, a divine spellcaster does not require a period of rest to prepare spells. Instead, the character chooses a particular part of the day to pray and receive spells. The time is usually associated with some daily event.

And even if you're playing Arcane Casters:

The wizard does not have to slumber for every minute of the time, but she must refrain from movement, combat, spellcasting, skill use, conversation, or any other fairly demanding physical or mental task during the rest period.

Sure, you can't do much as a wizard, but that doesn't really concern me.

Bronk
2014-05-27, 06:02 PM
Well, next level you could take a level in something that gives you a familiar, animal companion or psicrystal, or take the wild cohort feat, and have them keep watch. The best would probably be the psicrystal or a construct familiar since they wouldn't need to sleep either, but either way, it sounds like you just need it to keep watch for your four hours of trance. On the other hand, the Wild Cohort would be the most powerful choice, since it is based on your full level.

Synar
2014-05-27, 06:16 PM
I must say I am vey interested.
Oh? This in the RPG thread? Not in the Friendly banter one? Nevermind then.

dascarletm
2014-05-27, 06:42 PM
The Arms and Equipment guide has coffee in it. It works for me.

atomicwaffle
2014-05-27, 08:16 PM
Ring of Sustenance

Makes it so you are constantly nourished, not needing food or water. I also gives an ability that 2 hours of sleep = 8 hours. You can be fully rested after 2 hours of sleep. Best part, costs less than 3k gold.

Jeff the Green
2014-05-27, 08:22 PM

They can also share their trance through a teamwork benefit.

torrasque666
2014-05-27, 08:23 PM
I believe the Wakeful Mind WarforgedConstruct graft will allow you to not need sleep.

Phelix-Mu
2014-05-27, 11:58 PM
I must say I am vey interested.
Oh? This in the RPG thread? Not in the Friendly banter one? Nevermind then.

This and the coffee comment had me loling.

But as a narcoleptic and sleep-guru, I shouldn't endorse that line of thinking; sleep is important, children! [/patronize]

You may also want to look into plant grafts. I kind of thought there was one like this, but maybe I just have it mixed up with the construct grafts.

I'd echo the lesser restoration thing. It's a thing. Also, there is a spell in BoED that specifically is designed to remove fatigue and similar stuff.

Finally, more in line with the ardent line of work, if (and I stress "if") you can get some kind of persistomancy going with schism (via DSP's Hyperconscious or the 3.0 version, arguably acceptable), then you might be able to make an argument for the schism being able to stay awake while your main mind sleeps. It won't be able to see, but I'm pretty sure it could hear, and you could probably use that synesthete power or some other effect to make up for lack of sight.

Still, not sure if there is even a semi-reasonable trick that could be used pre-epic to be able to persist schism.