PDA

View Full Version : A Blooming Season

AlanBruce
2014-05-27, 05:00 AM
Greetings! Currently I have my party traversing the seas and they have come across an Island that a Hadozee npc on board identified in an old map as being "dangerous".

The party is, of course, currently in that island.

Their very first encounter was not a violent one- it was a sea elf maiden playing damsel in distress with a large tiki styled hadozee who claims the island is his. He has invited the party to a beach nearby where a community of aquatic core races lounge around, surf, drink, and idly pass the day.

So far, it looks like a perfect little spot to retire and live.

However, there is a darker side to this tale...

The sea elf maiden is not a sea elf at all, but a Malenti beguiler who, using its appearance as a sea elf, has ensorcelled the hadozee leader of this laid back community by giving them all some sort of flower (ala Lotus Eaters from the Odyssey). This flower is not eaten directkly, but diluted into refreshing cocktails and handed out to the beach dwellers.

The reasons behind all this is that, on the other side of the island, is a pirate ship anchored. And has been for awhile. The Malenti keeps contact with a network across the isle and sends those who are too far gone by the flower over to that other beach, where the pirates chain them up and take them to their ship to sell for slavery elsewhere. The Hadozee community leader is completely oblivious to this because the beguiler works her charms on him and his mind is weakened enough due to dependency.

What I would like is an effect for this flower. Clearly, it would act as an ingested poison of sorts, but the trick here is that it should not be readily apparent if the PCs eat or drink something with the flower's essence in it.

Maybe grant them some bonuses to physical scores while gradually degrading mental ones? Dependency of the flower?

Also, I was thinking of a monster. The very first flower of this kind that grew in the island and that is found sealed deep within the jungle. The Malenti and pirates have found a way to pump her in order to cause her flowers to bloom in the beach, but if killed, it should wilt those flowers and, hopefully, clean the user's mind given time.

If anyone would be so kind to come up or provide ideas/suggestions for the flower's effects and the boss monster, I would be most grateful.

The party is made of 4 Pcs, each ECl 12-13 and all full casters.

The NPC is a Hadozee bard/virtuoso ECL 10.

Thank you very much