PDA

View Full Version : Player Help questions on LA buyoff

adriana
2014-05-27, 05:07 AM
Or DM is allowing LA buyoffs
So I have a dumb question
My original build is as follows
Cleric 4/Crusader 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/Contemplative 5 // Half shadow Dragon 3 / Dragonfire Adept 17

So if I did the LA buyoff I could go

Cleric 4/Crusader 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/Contemplative 5 //Dragonfire Adept 20

This is correct is it not?

Arc_knight25
2014-05-27, 07:41 AM
What is the lvl adjustment of the race you want to be?

So for a LA+1 you need to be lvl 3 before you can buy it off.

If LA+2 lvl 6, LA+3 lvl 9, etc

For each level bought off it only lowers your LA by one.

So for a LA+3 race you would buy your first level off at 9, then your second at 15 and your last at 18.

It gets pretty costly late game.

I do beleive the SRD has a better guideline then what I have given here.

adriana
2014-05-27, 08:25 AM
What is the lvl adjustment of the race you want to be?

So for a LA+1 you need to be lvl 3 before you can buy it off.

If LA+2 lvl 6, LA+3 lvl 9, etc

For each level bought off it only lowers your LA by one.

So for a LA+3 race you would buy your first level off at 9, then your second at 15 and your last at 18.

It gets pretty costly late game.

I do beleive the SRD has a better guideline then what I have given here.

half dragon. La+3 Yeah I know it's expensive to buy out of. I was just making sure I was reading it right that when it's completely bought of at lv18 I can have lv20 in dragonfire adept instead of lv17. as part of my gestalt build.

Arc_knight25
2014-05-27, 01:04 PM
You can yes. but remember as anyone with a LA+0 race will be in effect 3 levels further ahead then you come level 18 when you do your last buy off.

Urpriest
2014-05-27, 01:14 PM
How is your DM handing LA in gestalt? Does it only go on "one side" or both? If only on "one side", what happens when you buy off LA on that side?

adriana
2014-05-27, 03:06 PM
How is your DM handing LA in gestalt? Does it only go on "one side" or both? If only on "one side", what happens when you buy off LA on that side?

It's on one side of the gestalt

the actual build is

Cleric 4/crusader 1/ ruby knight 10/contemplative 5// half shadow dragon 3/ dragonfire adept 17

That's what I'm wondering how that would work on a gestalt build.

I'm assuming the build would then go Cleric 4/crusader 1/ ruby knight 10/contemplative 5// dragonfire adept 20

but I didn't know if there was any raw ruling on it.

shadowseve
2014-05-27, 03:12 PM
You can yes. but remember as anyone with a LA+0 race will be in effect 3 levels further ahead then you come level 18 when you do your last buy off.

So we would be 21 when she hits 18. Now if I'm correct she should then "gain" up to then in levels since she would be receiving more xp correct?

adriana
2014-05-27, 03:22 PM

the dm is not sure how he wants to handle that. He wants us to be able to buy it off but he's researching on how it would work with a gestalt build. He's hoping to find a raw answer.

Chambers
2014-05-27, 05:42 PM
the dm is not sure how he wants to handle that. He wants us to be able to buy it off but he's researching on how it would work with a gestalt build. He's hoping to find a raw answer.

No such answer exists. Both the Gestalt rules and LA Buy Off rules are presented as separate alternate rule systems in Unearthed Arcana and to my knowledge there's no official ruling on how Level Adjustment (Or LA Buy off) works with a Gestalt character.

shadowseve
2014-05-27, 08:05 PM
No such answer exists. Both the Gestalt rules and LA Buy Off rules are presented as separate alternate rule systems in Unearthed Arcana and to my knowledge there's no official ruling on how Level Adjustment (Or LA Buy off) works with a Gestalt character.

what we're doing is a suggestion I was pm'd about is giving the temaplate with out making it a part of the class builds but still requiring the xp buyoffs.

so instead of cleric 4/crusader1/ ruby knight 10/contemplative 5// half dragon3/dragonfire adept 17

the full build would be cleric/4 crusader1/ ruby knight vindicator 10/ contemplative 5//dragonfire adept 20 but still requiring the xp penalties buy out at 9, 15, 18 basically the character would be held back like normal until all the xp has been paid and then the character would eventually catch up.

Same with mine instead of druid 5/ planar shepherd 10/ druid 5// saint 2/ factotum 8/cleric 10

I'll end up druid 5/planar shepherd 10/ druid 5//factotum 10/cleric 10 But I'll still be held back two levels and do the buy out at lv 6 and 9 so I can "catch up." I think that's prob the best route to go.

Urpriest
2014-05-27, 08:54 PM

As Chambers says, the whole nature of the gestalt system is that it has to have a net of houserules put in place to clarify matters.

Arguably, RAW Level Adjustment is on both "sides", so buyoff works normally. If you only bought it off one side, then one side would have a different ECL than the other and there would be no way to determine how much XP you earn.

Wanting to put LA on one side may be more balanced, but if you want to combine it with LA buyoff you need to think long and hard about how, and I don't have any ideas about how to do it cleanly.

shadowseve
2014-05-27, 09:57 PM
As Chambers says, the whole nature of the gestalt system is that it has to have a net of houserules put in place to clarify matters.

Arguably, RAW Level Adjustment is on both "sides", so buyoff works normally. If you only bought it off one side, then one side would have a different ECL than the other and there would be no way to determine how much XP you earn.

Wanting to put LA on one side may be more balanced, but if you want to combine it with LA buyoff you need to think long and hard about how, and I don't have any ideas about how to do it cleanly.

we house ruled it that we don't add it to any side of the class levels so no one side has different ecls. We're having our level on both sides being held back for the number of the LA then using the buy off points to remove the level penalty the same way you would in a single class. In other words a half dragon would still have to buy out at the levels I listed above and would still have the -3 to class levels until the buy off was complete then they would eventually catch up to the rest of the group. It's the only way I think it could work. Gestalt complicates la buy off for sure.

torrasque666
2014-05-27, 10:06 PM
I think thats how it should work. RHD only go on one side, due to replacing class levels, but LA is just that. Level Adjust. Its not levels, but a modifier on the ECL as a whole.

shadowseve
2014-05-27, 11:13 PM
I think thats how it should work. RHD only go on one side, due to replacing class levels, but LA is just that. Level Adjust. Its not levels, but a modifier on the ECL as a whole.

I agree. It seems to make the most sense