PDA

View Full Version : A nonstandard build

InaVegt
2007-02-17, 05:56 AM
I was toying with the idea of making mystic theurge worthwhile and stumbled upon a number of other PRC's which I think make an appropreate mystic theurge.

Bard 7/Ur priest 2/sublime chord 2/mystic theurge 8/X 1

This gives you caster level 18 for bard/sublime chord spells (assuming arcane spellcasting class for X), caster level 19 or 15 (depending on how you count mystic theurge) for ur priest spells and 9th level spells, both arcane and divine (excluding bonus spells due to high stats).

What do you think of this build, and is it rules legal?

Khantalas
2007-02-17, 05:58 AM
Wasn't this around for a while? Like, for months?

InaVegt
2007-02-17, 06:01 AM
Wasn't this around for a while? Like, for months?
I haven't seen it before, others might have created it, but I've never seen it before.

Khantalas
2007-02-17, 06:10 AM
Anyway, there was a mindbender level in that build somewhere. Gotta like telepathy.

Though being limited to NE or CE sucks.

InaVegt
2007-02-17, 06:11 AM
Anyway, there was a mindbender level in that build somewhere. Gotta like telepathy.

Though being limited to NE or CE sucks.
I guess mindbender would be a good class to fill that X 1 slot with.

And yes, it's not for usual play.

Khantalas
2007-02-17, 06:18 AM
Hulking Hurler isn't meant for normal play. Pun-pun isn't meant for normal play. This is actually viable, but very, very limited.

You could look into apostle of peace from BoED for a good version, though then you wouldn't get mindbender.

dead_but_dreaming
2007-02-17, 06:23 AM
You could look into apostle of peace from BoED for a good version, though then you wouldn't get mindbender.

Also, you couldn't hurt anybody. Now, doesn't that suck? :smalltongue:

Gezina: Ur-priest/MTh-combos are common power-builds, but I still like them. It would surely be interesting to pull of role-playing-wise.

InaVegt
2007-02-17, 06:23 AM
Hulking Hurler isn't meant for normal play. Pun-pun isn't meant for normal play. This is actually viable, but very, very limited.

Neither would I get Ur priest, and something which is evil is not meant for normal play in a different way than hulking hurler (never heard of it, probably some insane ulti abuse thing) and pun pun, normal play is in my mind with heroes, evil does not make hero.

Khantalas
2007-02-17, 06:26 AM
Hulking Hurler deals an average damage of "you don't wanna know, but I can destroy a castle" with one attack.

It liberally uses War Hulk and Hulking Hurler and Half Ogre.

dead_but_dreaming
2007-02-17, 06:32 AM
evil does not make hero Oh come on, it could! You can always fit in at least one, dark, brooding anti-hero in each party. You know, the guy who basically wishes to save the world but doesn't mind committing cruelties to achieve his goal. Guess this was off-topic tho...

InaVegt
2007-02-17, 06:43 AM
My plots are of the kind a reasonably high level PC could just ignore, without being affected too much (And, be reasonable, what do you have to gain by destroying the world?

dead_but_dreaming
2007-02-17, 07:57 AM
Anti-heroes can be driven by revenge, or even a desire for justice. You could be evil and wish to cast down a tyrant, except you wouldn't stop at merely "casting him down"... I believe that an evil character could be evil because he is ruthless, cruel and self-centered, but he could still have values. An evil character could save the village and then torture it's oppressors to death while enjoying it. A neutral guy wouldn't do that.

InaVegt
2007-02-17, 08:07 AM
Anti-heroes can be driven by revenge, or even a desire for justice. You could be evil and wish to cast down a tyrant, except you wouldn't stop at merely "casting him down"... I believe that an evil character could be evil because he is ruthless, cruel and self-centered, but he could still have values. An evil character could save the village and then torture it's oppressors to death while enjoying it. A neutral guy wouldn't do that.
Entirely true, however I find evil characters usually not fit for the hero role, even the PHB suggests PCs schould be neutral or good on the moral axis.

dead_but_dreaming
2007-02-17, 08:14 AM
You are right, but I still believe that there's absolutely nothing wrong with deviating from the norm once in a while. However, playing with evil characters can be a real pain in the ***. especially if you are a DM trying to motivate the characters... I suppose that every player character, regardless of alignemnt should ask themselves: "why do I adventure?" and provide a satisfactory answer to that question. This means characters need a reason to go out and save the world while at least nominally cooperating with each other.

Psiwave
2007-02-17, 08:18 AM
My plots are of the kind a reasonably high level PC could just ignore, without being affected too much (And, be reasonable, what do you have to gain by destroying the world?

...Closure?

Jimp
2007-02-17, 09:43 AM
Here's a link to the build you were thinking of doing:

http://boards1.wizards.com/showpost.php?p=4880651#post4880651