PDA

View Full Version : TPAY/TPBY I disagree!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Lheticus
2014-05-27, 12:43 PM
Inspired by various reactions to the quote in my sig in the latest comic discussion thread. This one's simple: I'll state something obviously true, then TPBM will disagree and state an alternate belief. Then they state another obvious truth, then TPBT disagrees and states their alternate belief, and so on and forth to however large this thread is gonna get. (Obviously, the reason doesn't have to be serious--in fact, it preferably wouldn't be. In fact, make the reason as silly as possible, the only limit is your imagination!) Well, here we go...

2 plus two equals four.

Jormengand
2014-05-27, 01:32 PM
I disagree! 2+2 is whatever big brother says it is!

Air is mainly composed of Nitrogen, with small amounts of other gases such as Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide.

Targ Collective
2014-05-27, 01:42 PM
I disagree. The air consists mostly of empty space.

The above fact is technically true.

Zweisteine
2014-05-27, 01:47 PM
Lies! Blatant lies, I tell you!

The air is mostly composed of energy!

And everyone knows that energy is just another way to say magic!

Woodzyowl
2014-05-27, 01:53 PM
That's preposterous! Energy is a type of tropical flowering plant!

Thinking about plants and energy, photosynthesis requires light to function.

Duck999
2014-05-27, 03:54 PM
That is a Blatantly False Fact!
Photosynthesis requires photos that synthesize with each other.

:) is a sideways smiley face.

Lheticus
2014-05-27, 04:46 PM
I disagree! Clearly, people don't know you can't enclose text in parenthesis and not have anything after a colon inside!

It tends to get really cold in Russia.

Targ Collective
2014-06-04, 07:31 PM
I disgaree! Compared to absolute zero Russia's very warm!

Absolute zero is only reachable in theory due to quantum excitation continually warming even the coldest depths of space.

Blue Ghost
2014-06-05, 03:10 AM
I disagree. Absolute zero does exist in reality. In fact, it is a constant occurrence in some parts of Canada.

You exist.

smuchmuch
2014-06-05, 04:13 AM
No I don'

(The current poster seems to have vanished in a puff of logic. Thankfully a hastily scribbled note was found: 'the brain is the center of the nevous sytem in all vertebrate animals")

Ninjaman
2014-06-05, 05:27 AM
False! The egyptians said it was the heart and they were very smart.

Google.com is a website.

Duck999
2014-06-05, 01:20 PM
FALSE! There is only Giantitp.com

You posted in this thread.

Lheticus
2014-06-05, 02:09 PM
NONSENSE! It was clearly his evil identical twin brother!

The moon is made of moon rock, moon dirt, and other mundane (for the moon) moon stuff.

Secret hint: If you say it's made of cheese, you fell into my trap! Muahahaha!

Jormengand
2014-06-06, 11:14 AM
Nonsense! It's clearly made of cheese!

I just fell into TPAM's trap, because you have to fall into all traps, no matter how obvious, to complete the game.

Lheticus
2014-06-06, 12:26 PM
As the maker of the rules, I'm going to say this one doesn't count because I want to give someone else a chance, but I need to say this and Jormengand's PM box is full...

NONSENSE! What you failed to realize is that saying that saying the moon is made of cheese falls into my trap was a setup for an even more elaborate trap to get someone to say something OTHER than that! And...you didn't fall for it, curses!

(I'm not even fully kidding here.)

P.S.: Okay, what IS it with people I try to PM having full inboxes? This makes 2 in a row...

Scarlet Knight
2014-06-23, 10:00 PM
Poppycock! Inboxes always empty when the PM turns into the AM!

Of course there is a fine line between Saturday night and Sunday morning...

ORione
2014-06-23, 10:46 PM
Don't be ridiculous. If you look at the average calender, there are five days between Sunday and Saturday. I for one consider that a bit more than a fine line.

Ice cream is traditionally served frozen.

Targ Collective
2014-06-25, 12:53 AM
False! It is served *part* frozen, as a semi-liquid-semi-solid creamy substance!

It is always possible to create a more truthful answer rather than a less truthful answer until we reach Absolute Truth!... which is really rather boring.

Zaydos
2014-06-25, 02:24 AM
False! It is completely uncertain that there is an Absolute Truth and varying philosophies have different opinions on it. Therefore it may or may not be possible to ever reach an Absolute Truth.

Anime is a word for animation originating in Japan.

cha0s4a11
2014-06-25, 08:13 AM
That's absurd. Anime is *THE* word for animation originating in Japan.

Giving nuclear weapons to the Principality of Sealand (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Sealand) would be a horrible idea.

Dudeons
2014-06-29, 02:25 PM
Nonsense! Giving them to the Republic of Molossia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Molossia) would be even worse.

Abraham Lincoln was an awesome president.

Lheticus
2014-06-29, 04:24 PM
Pff, what kind of awesome president doesn't have enough bodyguards to not get shot in a theatre?

The sky is blue, because of a thing called ozone.

Scarlet Knight
2014-07-02, 06:17 AM
Balderdash! Atmospheres are incapable of feeling depressed!

The moon, however, does contribute to Lunacy.

Lheticus
2014-07-05, 10:34 AM
The moon, however, does contribute to Lunacy.

I'm...far from certain that falls within the rules. How is this obviously true? For that matter, what even IS Lunacy?

Because, well there are rules in this game. (This sentence doubles as my next statement)

Hexalan
2014-07-06, 01:35 AM
Rules exist only in the mind of those who would perceive and acknowledge those rules! I exercise my radical freedom to ignore superfluous regulations!

Cows are made of meat.

Dudeons
2014-07-09, 12:20 PM
No they're not. All that 'meat' is just fermented milk that turned solid.

Half Life 3 confirmed.

ORione
2014-07-09, 12:45 PM
That's ridiculous. Surely if it was Half Life 3, that would make it One-and-a-Half Life. Cause that's how multiplication works.

Water is wet.

Elemental
2014-07-12, 12:10 PM
I can cite numerous studies that prove otherwise. Water is composed entirely of energetic particles of blue matter suspended in a field of tachyons. It would in fact, disintegrate your hand.

The Sun's light is the result of the fusion of hydrogen atoms.

Targ Collective
2014-07-14, 11:02 AM
Half truth. It's way more complicated than that.

If you are reading and understanding this, you are most likely literate.

TBFProgrammer
2014-07-14, 02:08 PM
I disagree with the probability assessment, to be able to read and understand without being at least moderately literate is utterly implausible.

Due to the relationship between space and time, teleportation is equivalent to time-travel.

lolthfollower
2014-07-18, 02:42 PM
I disagree! Just watch a sci-fi show and they will tell you the truth!

Cheese is made from milk.

Lheticus
2014-07-18, 03:02 PM
NONSENSE! It's clearly made from moon rocks! lol, I think Jormungand will even back me up on this one! XD

Some people in this thread are posting statements that really AREN'T obviously true.

Targ Collective
2014-07-18, 03:36 PM
Some people in this thread are. It goes both ways for maximum fun! Which, er, while based on a quote from OOTS, actually sounds pretty dirty.

Lheticus
2014-07-18, 08:24 PM
Some people in this thread are. It goes both ways for maximum fun! Which, er, while based on a quote from OOTS, actually sounds pretty dirty.

Lol, you're out! XD (j/k)

Zaydos
2014-07-24, 11:54 AM
He's most certainly in or else wouldn't be posting, oh most seriously serious man in the thread.

There is a homebrew subforum on this site.

Elemental
2014-07-24, 12:45 PM
Nonsense. You're reading the sign wrong. It says homewares, not homebrew.

In nature, the nucleus of an atom of hydrogen is made up of one proton and up to two neutrons.

@V Read again. I said "up to" two neutrons, meaning the quantity of neutrons is either zero, one or two. Protium, Deuterium or Tritium.

Laughing Dog
2014-07-24, 07:35 PM
Actually, that's (IIRC) deuterium, a specific rare type of hydrogen. Normal hydrogen's nucleus is just a proton.

There are 50 states in the U.S.A.

Hexalan
2014-07-24, 08:01 PM
Matter exists as plasma, gas, liquid, solid, or Bose-Einstein condensate - 5 states, regardless of location.

Guns don't kill people, bullets do blood loss and shock do.

Zaydos
2014-07-24, 08:12 PM
Not true hitting someone in the head with a gun can in fact kill them without blood leaving their body.

One should not meddle in the affairs of dragons for they are easily angered and you go well with ketchup.

Scarlet Knight
2014-07-24, 11:18 PM
Poppycock! Draco Horribilis enjoys a good scratch behind the wing!

Drakes Cakes are filled with yummy goodness.

ORione
2014-07-24, 11:26 PM
I have never heard of Drakes Cakes, so I am going to assume that they aren't real.

Fingernails grow on fingers.

Elemental
2014-07-25, 12:07 AM
Complete and utter nonsense. You have to buy them from a hardware store.

All forms of Solitaire are intended to be played by one person only.

Zaydos
2014-07-25, 11:12 AM
Balderdash. The best way to play any game of solitaire is with your SO hanging over your shoulder giving you tips and advice and hugs.

Hugs are good, this is known.

Lheticus
2014-07-25, 11:23 AM
NONSENSE! CLEARLY you've never met a FACEhugger!

Hitler was a terrible, terrible person.

ORione
2014-07-25, 11:59 AM
Well, to evaluate the quality of something, we need to look at its function and see how well it fulfills it. Like, you would say that a knife that could not cut was a terrible knife. The human body seems to be geared towards survival, so I am going to assume that that is the function of a person. Adolf Hitler survived until he was 56*. That is better than a lot of people do, so I would say that Hitler was at least okay at being a person.

*Thank you for making me Google "how old was hitler when he died".

The heart is in the chest.

Elemental
2014-07-26, 03:58 AM
Only if you've had to have it replaced. Normally it's located in a pocket dimension for safety reasons, but it's impossible to open said pocket dimensions without it collapsing into non-existence. The next best place is the cavity behind the sternum, so that's where replacements go.

Ingestion of solid food is essential for a healthy digestive system.

2014-07-26, 09:28 PM
No way! Liquid food can work too!
There is no right way to eat a Rhesus.

Hexalan
2014-07-26, 10:58 PM
Put it in your mouth and chew until it stops moving.

A set of elements contains the elements that it contains.

Zaydos
2014-07-26, 11:42 PM
Obviously not. My salt shaker consists of a set of elements which do not include sodium, but it contains the element sodium outside of the set of elements which it contains.

Asia is not part of North America.

ORione
2014-07-26, 11:54 PM
Have you never heard of New York's Chinatown?

Something that is completely red is not completely blue.

@V It's still not completely blue.

Targ Collective
2014-07-27, 12:01 AM
Completely untrue, for a very good reason - if you shine a bright enough red light through a blue lens, some blue light will shine through. This proves red has at least *some* blue in it.

You, TPBM, fall somewhere between the spectrum of agreeing and disagreeing with this statement. (Or at the absolute poles.) (Or, in case I'm dealing with really smart people here, some mixture of the two).

You know, hang it. Let's make this simple. You, TPBM, fall within the spectrum of agreement/disagreement in this statement (and yes, indifference is in the spectrum - exact centre).

V I *knew* there would be someone smart enough to escape my trap. Well done. You have passed the test.

Hexalan
2014-07-27, 12:14 AM
I do not agree nor disagree with the previous statement. My stance is completely neutral, not neutral in the way that I am in balance, but rather, in the way that skew lines are non-present relative to each other. My belief towards the veracity of the previous statement is a complete non-entity, as there is precisely zero interpretation, which results in zero perceived-affirmation as well as zero perceived-refutation.

That which is, is.

Haruki-kun
2014-07-28, 11:50 PM
I disagree. In mathematics, the square root of a negative number can be expressed as the number x times i, where i is equal to the square root of -1. If we're simply talking about the square root of -1, then we just express the number as i. These numbers are referred to as "imaginary" as they are not within the realm of real numbers, but they can still be expressed in mathematical equations.

Due to the Reflexive property (a = a), we can assume that i=i, which means that that which is, is. Except that i is an imaginary number and by default is not real. So in this situation, that which is, is, except that in reality... it isn't.

I think candy bars taste better if you remove the wrapper.

Targ Collective
2014-07-29, 02:47 AM
I am flagrantly, blatantly breaking the Three Post Rule. Intentionally. I apologise, but what I have to add will hopefully be worth it.

I disagree. Twix would be lesser without the wrapper of chocolate.

i numbers merely express mathematics through lying there's a number there. In other words, they are *creativity's* numbers. Non-i numbers are TRUTH NUMBERS.

Why not have number indices for all number permutations? We can have numbers for strength, beauty, rapture, fulfilment... The possibilities are endless!

KuReshtin
2014-07-29, 05:40 AM
I disagree - the possibilities are limited to the imagination of the person thinking of all the categories, and as they will run out of categories at some stage, the possibilities are, in fact, not endless.

A hug is a useless waste of energy and most people who hug are creeps (unless they're family (but sometimes even if they are family)).

Lheticus
2014-07-29, 07:30 AM
Whaaaaaat?! Clearly, you don't hug yo momma very much!

This thread is getting a bit out of control--people are really neglecting the "obviously true" rule.

TBFProgrammer
2014-07-29, 06:12 PM
I disagree, clearly people are just reading sarcasm into the use of the word obvious.

What is considered obvious is entirely subjective.

Targ Collective
2014-07-30, 10:48 AM
I disagree. 'I AM' is entirely non-subjective.

'I AM' is totally non-subjective.

Haruki-kun
2014-07-30, 11:59 PM
I disagree. Claiming I am a better artist than the average person is entirely subjective.

I'd like to point out that water is wet.

Zaydos
2014-07-31, 12:37 AM
I disagree. A thing can be partially water without being wet (example a human), it is only excess water which makes things wet. Therefore water, which cannot have excess water, is not wet.

Star Trek was a formative science fiction TV show which has had a far reaching effect on science fiction, especially in visual mediums.

Dudeons
2014-07-31, 11:52 AM
I disagree. Maybe you're thinking of Dr Who?

My avatar is a pony.

Hexalan
2014-07-31, 12:29 PM
Your avatar is a 2d arrangement of binary code, certain sections of which are interpreted by a visual display to represent certain areas in the spectrum of visible light, the pattern of which implies to the general form of a pony.

All even-numbered Star Trek movies are superior to all odd-numbered ones.

inuyasha
2014-07-31, 12:58 PM
Preposterous? Odd numbered ones? Everybody know's there's no ones and that ones are even numbers

The key to time travel is metal and water

ORione
2014-07-31, 01:33 PM
:smallconfused: Methinks you don't understand the word "obvious".

Most human beings have two eyes.

Dudeons
2014-07-31, 02:10 PM
According to Hinduism we have three eyes, but we can't see in 4D. Don't know how that works.

I am single.

Targ Collective
2014-08-01, 05:54 PM
I disagree. Over the course of your dreamtime you may have had many lovers and the odds of that not being the case, unless you are underage, are minimal. Ask your dream lover to make contact in the physical. You could be surprised.

The reply to this sentence is compatible with ASCII code.

Lheticus
2014-08-01, 06:26 PM
I disagree: Ω is typed using an alt code, which is separate from ASCII code, which means the entirety of this statement is NOT compatible with ASCII.

At this point, Targ Collective has been posting extremely specific statements that would hardly ever come up in conversation.

2014-08-01, 09:07 PM
Wrong! I have discussions with way stranger topics than that!

A cookie is a cookie.

TBFProgrammer
2014-08-01, 10:11 PM
*Bite* I disagree, what was a cookie is now slowly dissolving crumbs.

Cookies taste good to most people.

Zaydos
2014-08-01, 11:38 PM
Data used to track when people get on websites do not in fact taste good to most people.

If you dance in the rain without an umbrella or any rain wear you will get wet.

Hexalan
2014-08-02, 01:03 AM
Wet is defined as the state of being in contact with liquid. However, nothing is truly ever in contact with anything else, as at the (sub)molecular level, atoms never actually touch.

Internet cookies don't taste good to most people.

Solution9
2014-08-02, 04:58 AM
Rubbish! Most people accept cookies in good taste.

Google knows everything about anything. It's knowledge hold no bounds.

Elemental
2014-08-02, 06:09 AM
About most things, yes. Alas, their attempts to upload the full text of several eldritch tomes ended badly, completely erasing the state of East Virginia from existence.

Humans have never walked on the surface of the Sun.

2014-08-02, 06:39 PM
Yes we have, all we need is a little drawing of it on the floor.

You have posted a comment disagreeing with me.

Targ Collective
2014-08-04, 12:09 AM
I disagree, up until now.

Your reply is displayed on a forum. Also, your response is either on or off the spectrum of disagreement/agreement, or in some third state that must logically be some combination of both.

lolthfollower
2014-08-06, 12:18 AM
I disagree! You see… uh… don't use your logical buzzwords on me, that's why!

This website contins a comic called The Order of The Stick

Lheticus
2014-08-06, 02:17 PM
I disagree! You see… uh… don't use your logical buzzwords on me, that's why!

This website contins a comic called The Order of The Stick

Nonsense! I hardly think this website "contins" anything! It CONTAINS a comic!

Pac-Man is one of the most famous arcade games ever created.

Targ Collective
2014-08-07, 04:02 PM
Bah! I disagree! Its fame is as nothing compared to pong, often (erroneously) considered the First Game.

Lheticus
2014-08-07, 06:32 PM
For my next statment:

Targ Collective was supposed to put a statement after his response.

backwaterj
2014-08-07, 11:52 PM
Preposterous! Targ Collective clearly intended his statement about Pong to serve as both response to the statement above and prompt for the retort below, opening a singularity in the fact/disagreement continuum.

Gravity tends to pull objects toward one another.

Hexalan
2014-08-08, 12:28 AM
Gravity does not exist! It can only be said that objects have certain gravitational properties, with which they (the objects themselves, not gravity) can exert force on other objects.

The poster below me will respond to this.

TBFProgrammer
2014-08-08, 01:21 PM
I disagree. The poster clearly depicts something that does not respond to such forces. https://www.movieposter.com/posters/archive/main/37/MPW-18677

Superheros are physically impossible.

Targ Collective
2014-08-08, 07:40 PM
I disagree. Firemen, soldiers, policemen - all have, many times, been superheroes, going above and beyond the call of duty, even without superpowers to aid them. They are the real heroes.

You are in the post immediately following this one.

backwaterj
2014-08-08, 08:09 PM
I am not in any cylindrical object typically used as a vertical support member at all, nor are you. How could that possibly be true?

Humans cannot breathe water.

Hexalan
2014-08-08, 09:45 PM
The air is on average 2-3% water vapor, which is taken into the lungs every time you breathe in.

Dogs are not cats.

byzantineblue
2014-08-08, 10:07 PM
I disagree! Only about 4% of their DNA differs! That's practically nothing!

Barbed wire was one of the most important inventions in the late 19th century American Southwest.

Eternis
2014-08-10, 04:54 AM
I disagree, simply based on the fact that barbed wire has caused so much pain, discomfort, loss of limb etc.

The next person in this thread is a very kind and personable individual.

backwaterj
2014-08-10, 02:40 PM
Pfft! Kind, yes, but about as personable as a dead sloth.

High blood pressure increases the risk of heart attack.

Hexalan
2014-08-11, 01:28 PM
What, you think everyone's heart is just gonna jump out in full plate armor and broadswords and start fighting dogs?

Star-nosed moles are horrifying.

ORione
2014-08-11, 02:16 PM
Well, that's just rude. Maybe star-nosed moles find you horrifying.

(Nice icon, btw.)

Humans need oxygen to survive.

TBFProgrammer
2014-08-11, 03:22 PM
Unless they are cryogenically frozen.

Space is big.

Strigon
2014-08-11, 03:51 PM
I disagree!
A keyboard is big; space is small!

The sun emits visible light.

Lheticus
2014-08-11, 03:57 PM
Nonsense! Any scientist could tell you it emits hydrogen atoms!

Nuclear fission is possible, and has been achieved.

backwaterj
2014-08-12, 09:13 PM
I don't think collecting the atomized scraps that are collected after a nuclear blast counts as fishin'. :smallwink:

Humans are bipedal omnivores.

Targ Collective
2014-08-12, 10:46 PM
I disagree - Only as a species is that accurate. Many individuals are vegans, vegetarians, etc.

Truth. Sheer, platonic Truth.

ORione
2014-08-12, 10:55 PM
Denial. Strawman. Ridicule of Strawman.

Black is darker than white.

Lheticus
2014-08-13, 07:55 AM
Ever heard of the Ku Klux Klan? That organization seems pretty dark to me in their WHITE robes.

Nintendo is a hugely successful video game company.

backwaterj
2014-08-13, 03:30 PM
Success can mean a lot of things, among them innovation. They'd be a lot more successful in that regard if they jumped off the Super Mario money train.

Distilled water freezes at an ambient temperature of zero degrees Celsius.

Hexalan
2014-08-13, 03:45 PM
Not if there's 2,000 kilopascals of air pressure.

All humans die.

Lheticus
2014-08-13, 04:36 PM
Dude! Heroes get remembered, but legends NEVER die! Haven't you watched The Sandlot? XD

To compose this message, I had to enter an input on a keyboard as I am not using a mobile phone to visit this website.

TBFProgrammer
2014-08-14, 09:37 AM
I disagree, you composed the message in your head and only transferred it via the keyboard.

The concept of cold really refers to the absence of heat.

ORione
2014-08-14, 07:23 PM
The concept of coldness was imagined before anyone knew that cold was the absence of heat. That coldness happens to apply when and only when there is no heat is a coincidence. The concept of coldness really refers to the sensation of coldness, which just so happens to be caused by an absence of heat. Much like how if the formula for the substance that the ocean is filled with were not H2O, then it would not be the case that water is H2O.

Many humans have noses.

Orm-Embar
2014-08-14, 09:37 PM
Beg pardon, but humans only have one nose. Each.

Fire burns.

Hexalan
2014-08-14, 10:23 PM
Fire doesn't burn. Fire is the result of burning. Some sort of fuel, such as wood, is what burns.

Pun-pun is OP.

ORione
2014-08-14, 11:25 PM
The Original Poster is Lheticus, not Pun-pun.

Pain is painful.

backwaterj
2014-08-15, 01:02 AM
There are pills for that. :smalltongue: Or alternately: pain is not simply painful, but useful. It serves to warn us of things that could cause us severe bodily harm or potential death.

The poster below me will try to contradict this sentence.

Dudeons
2014-08-15, 02:33 AM
Of course not!

TPBM has accessed this site at some point in their life.

Haruki-kun
2014-08-23, 12:41 AM
Technically, it is my computer(s) that accessed this site. I simply view the information displayed on the monitor and provide new data to be sent into the server.

Ice is colder than water.

TBFProgrammer
2014-08-23, 01:29 PM
Place sufficient pressure on any given sample of ice and it will melt without growing any warmer.

Lightning hurts.

Hexalan
2014-08-23, 02:07 PM
Lightning is a non-intelligent phenomenon, thus it does not feel. Of course, if you were struck by lightning, I imagine you would hurt.

The ocean is large.

ORione
2014-08-23, 03:09 PM
Large by what standard? Compared to planets and stars, the ocean is tiny.

Stabbing someone is easier with a knife than a spoon.

backwaterj
2014-08-24, 12:04 AM
A spoon lengthwise is a heck of a lot easier than a knife crosswise. Um . . . or so I hear . . .

Under identical conditions, a black surface will absorb more heat than a white surface.

Elemental
2014-08-24, 12:53 PM
It certainly seems that way at first. However, if they both receive equal training in heat absorption, there is no difference.

Hats are an excellent method of protecting one's head from sunlight.

Lheticus
2014-08-24, 02:02 PM
Pfff, yeah, when I'm lost in the freaking Mojave I'll surely think "good thing I'm wearing a HAT."

Chocolate, except for dark chocolate, has a very sweet taste.

TBFProgrammer
2014-08-25, 10:22 AM
Chocolate itself is bitter. The sweetness in the candies known as chocolates comes from sugar.

Mammals require sleep to survive.

PurityIcekiller
2014-08-25, 10:46 PM
:vaarsuvius: Trance is not biologically required for elves. I have become far more efficient since I eliminated it from my schedule.

The atomic mass of carbon-12 is exactly 12 atomic mass units.

Elemental
2014-08-26, 09:58 AM
Well... It used to be. But given the rise of fast food in today's world, the average carbon 12 weighs slightly more than that.

Keyboards, despite the name, aren't very helpful when it comes to locks.

Dudeons
2014-08-26, 10:49 AM
On the contrary, they are used for all kinds of digital locks.

Batman was inspired by Zorro.

backwaterj
2014-08-26, 01:36 PM
No, Batman was inspired by the death of Bruce Wayne's parents. The comic, however, was highly derivative of the Zorro legend.

Transparent objects allow light to pass through them.

PurityIcekiller
2014-08-26, 02:09 PM
They don't allow it. They have rules against letting light through. It's just that light doesn't give a biscuit for what transparent objects think and goes through anyway, and there's nothing they can do to stop it.

Whales live in water.

ORione
2014-08-26, 07:21 PM
Yeeeeeaaaaah, I've got a filled water bottle right here, and there are no whales in it.

Ants are smaller than cats.

Orm-Embar
2014-08-29, 06:46 PM
Pshaw, from 10,000 feet up they look like they're about the same size.

The Sun, viewed from Earth, rises in the East and sets in the West.

backwaterj
2014-08-30, 06:07 PM
The sun, viewed from Earth, appears to rise in the east and set in the west. In actuality it's the earth's rotation causing this effect, not the sun's movement.

2 is the only even prime number.

ORione
2014-08-30, 06:13 PM
How do you know? Have you checked every even number to see if it is prime? I will not accept your conclusion until you have done so.

Rocks do not move on their own.

Lheticus
2014-08-30, 07:17 PM
I believe this link renders your argument invalid. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrHHPndUC7s)

Cheese is a dairy product.

Hexalan
2014-09-06, 12:42 PM
A dairy product? What are you multiplying dairy with to get cheese? Cheese is the sum of dairy ingredients.

France is in Europe.

backwaterj
2014-09-06, 03:57 PM
Nope, the lineup of Europe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe_(band)) consists of Tempest, Norum, Olsson and Reno. I think France was in Survivor.

Mushrooms are fungi.

Orm-Embar
2014-09-06, 05:57 PM
Nonsense, everyone knows Fungi are from Yuggoth.

Sustained exposure to loud noise causes hearing loss.

TBFProgrammer
2014-09-07, 01:16 PM
Ridiculous oversimplification. For instance, amplified Rock Music (~120 dBAs) is a "loud noise," but less than fifteen seconds is not what someone would consider sustained exposure.

Being poisoned is bad for your health.

Gandariel
2014-09-07, 02:35 PM
Psh! Originally, poison and medicine had the same name (venenum) , so your argument is invalid.

This will not be the last post of this thread.

backwaterj
2014-09-07, 03:26 PM
Sir, your post is before mine, therefore it is the last post, and it is in this thread.

The average yearly temperature in Uruguay is warmer than that in Antarctica.

@V: Peer pressure. Plus I drew the conclusion it was too sketchy, and wanted to try my hand at a new style.

Hexalan
2014-09-07, 04:05 PM
NO! UR MOM IS A GAY AND YOUR HITLER!!!!one!!!
(dude what happened to your profile picture)
Ad Hominems are not a legitimate argument strategy.

TBFProgrammer
2014-09-07, 07:35 PM
They are a valid means of substantiating your point when you are arguing that you dislike the recipient.

The moon is tidally locked.

Angsty Anubite
2014-09-07, 09:23 PM
Impossible! The tides cannot reach the moon, and certainly can't be used to lock anything with!

The Moose is a mammal.

@V Sorry, I'll give him back his capital M.

ORione
2014-09-07, 09:26 PM
Capitalized like that, The Moose sounds more like a mob boss's nickname.

Edit: And now you edited it to correct your capitalization. :smallannoyed:

@^ Thanks!

Adding salt to a meal makes it taste saltier.

Hexalan
2014-09-07, 11:02 PM
Adding salt to a meal simply makes it have a greater amount of salt. Theoretically, if someone who had the ability to discern salt levels and comparatively analyze minute variations across differing timelines, it would be possible that said person would perceive a greater value associated with the arbitrary quality of "saltiness". The meal itself, of course, lacks nerve endings and tastes nothing.

The slope of a line tangent to a curve is equal to the derivative of the curve.

backwaterj
2014-09-08, 01:04 AM
The slope of a line tangent to a curve is equal to a blockbuster movie, according to Professor Shyamalan.

A motorcycle has more wheels than a unicycle.

TBFProgrammer
2014-09-08, 08:52 AM
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gadgetlab/2014/01/unicycle-inline2.jpg

A seed cannot grow in a vacuum.

PurityIcekiller
2014-09-08, 10:49 AM
Actually, if you open up your vacuum cleaner, put soil inside, then plant the seed and make sure it gets enough water and sunlight, you can grow it.

The planet Jupiter is larger than Earth.

braveheart
2014-09-09, 11:03 AM
What are you talking about, you can barely see Jupiter, but the earth expands as far as the eye can see

The answer is 42

backwaterj
2014-09-09, 01:46 PM
And the question is: how many times is the above statement wrong?

A human being cannot, under its own power and without external equipment, fly.

Lheticus
2014-09-09, 01:55 PM
What are you talking about?! Anyone can fly like that! It's just they can only do it once...

Phoenix Wright is a video game character.

Angsty Anubite
2014-09-09, 02:16 PM
OBJECTION! He has never been described as a character of a video game by any of his peers!

Ice is water in a solid state.

Hexalan
2014-09-09, 09:52 PM
Water is liquid. If it were solid, which you claim ice to be, then it clearly cannot be water, and thus solid ice is obviously not any kind of water in any state because it's not water.

The Moon orbits the Earth.

PurityIcekiller
2014-09-10, 12:08 AM
The moon? How do I know you're not referring to Phobos, Demos, Ganymede, Io, Europa, Callisto, Titan, Umbriel, Ariel, Miranda, Triton, one of over a hundred other moons orbiting the Jovian planets in our solar system, or an exoplanet's moon? None of those orbit around Earth.

Triangles have three sides.

braveheart
2014-09-10, 12:53 AM
Triangles have 5 sides (the three lines, inside, and outside)

I wrote this answer

Orm-Embar
2014-09-10, 12:00 PM
Yeahhh, nice try, but you clearly used a keyboard to type that answer.

1 + 1 = 2.

ORione
2014-09-10, 12:03 PM
There seems to be some disagreement about this. (http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2039)

Humans need air to survive.

Hexalan
2014-09-10, 05:47 PM
Humans need only the oxygen in the air to survive. The rest of it is just filler.

Massachusetts Bay was a New England Colony.

Angsty Anubite
2014-09-12, 03:23 PM
Incorrect. Massachusetts Bay is a large body of water on the eastern shores of America.

Venus is the hottest planet in the solar system.

Robert Blackletter
2014-09-12, 05:58 PM
Nah Mars is much more attractive

Water and oil don't mix well

TBFProgrammer
2014-09-13, 02:56 PM
That would be the aim, but not every oil well manages to keep water out of it. So far I haven't heard of anyone getting oil in their water wells at least.

Ice floats in water.

backwaterj
2014-09-13, 03:01 PM
I just dropped an ice cube into a pot of steam, and it fell straight to the bottom!

The heart is an important part of the human circulatory system.

braveheart
2014-09-15, 04:32 PM
No the heart is a vital part of the human reproductive system *wink*

I have 2 eyes inside of my head.

Angsty Anubite
2014-09-16, 09:21 PM
But then what am I seeing when I look in the mirror?

Murder is illegal.

ORione
2014-09-19, 01:41 PM
Different places have different laws. You can't just say that something is just plain illegal - you have to give the context of which country's laws you are referring to. Murder is not illegal on the moon, because there is no jurisdiction on the moon.

Marshmallows are sweet.

Lheticus
2014-09-19, 02:33 PM
Sweet? Some configuration of sweet that I'm incapable of enjoying, maybe. They're gooey and disgusting in texture, way too chewy, ridiculously huge to the point where that one scene in The Lorax movie where he brings out the huge marshmallow bags I TOTALLY believe that size exists, and even a lot of "normal" sized marshmallows these days come in packages that would be better off used as emergency pillows rather than actually eating the contents! And do NOT get me started on friggin' Peeps!

Counter to a lot of disagreeing posts on this thread, the above was actually sincere.

backwaterj
2014-09-19, 03:50 PM
Au contraire, the previous rant was just an underhanded way for TPAM to give a shout out to his peeps. :smallwink:

The purpose of this thread is to state things that are obviously true so that the following poster may disagree with them.

Angsty Anubite
2014-09-20, 01:56 AM
Haven't you been reading this thread? We're trying to post believable lies so that the next poster can blow our minds with the truth!

We are all using electronic devices whenever we read or post to this thread.

Orm-Embar
2014-09-20, 10:38 AM
Who's "we?" Only one individual at a time can post.

Birds fly.

CrimsonKnight
2014-09-20, 11:22 AM
No they don't, they're actually warping space-time so they only appear to be moving through the air when in reality the universe is moving around them.

This sentence is true.

Septimus Faber
2014-09-20, 12:10 PM
No, don't be silly! In disagreeing with it, I negate it. Therefore, it becomes an irresolvable cerebreflectant paradox according to the laws of Mendacian calculus, the default truth value of which is always 8799, or by implication, 17, which clearly makes it false.

The above paragraph was overly complicated.

ORione
2014-09-20, 12:40 PM
Anything I don't understand must be easy, so I'm pretty sure that your paragraph is, too.

Walking requires legs.

Lheticus
2014-09-20, 12:47 PM
Oh please. Surely some people have managed it with a LEG instead of legs.

This sentence is false.

Heh, couldn't resist after that last one.

PurityIcekiller
2014-09-20, 12:54 PM
Not all of it. It also contains "this", "sentence" and "is".

Bears typically attack with their natural weapons.

TBFProgrammer
2014-09-20, 02:15 PM
Aside from Grizzly bears, most bears don't typically attack at all.

Communication over the internet is much faster than physical communication for any distance over a mile.

backwaterj
2014-09-20, 05:29 PM
Not if you're on dial-up.

The earth rotates 360 degrees in a single 24 hour period.

ORione
2014-09-21, 11:28 AM
Then how come I don't feel dizzy?

String is thinner than yarn.

braveheart
2014-09-22, 10:49 AM
Have you seen string cheese?

I don't know how to teleport

Lheticus
2014-09-22, 12:14 PM
Oh really? I'm thinking you know several ways--it's just that they're impossible to actually perform.

I am a human being.

Orm-Embar
2014-09-22, 01:02 PM
So you say, but on the internet nobody knows if you're a dog. Or a replicant. How are we supposed to know if you've passed a Voight-Kampff test lately?

Atmospheric gases surround the Earth.

backwaterj
2014-09-22, 02:59 PM
Not if you have dirt in a vacuum.

One hundred is greater than seven.

Laughing Dog
2014-09-23, 05:12 PM
Actually, -100 is less than -7.

The comic strip Dilbert is written by Scott Adams.

braveheart
2014-09-24, 10:44 AM
No it was written by friend computer, just like all other creative content. I love fiend computer, he is my friend

friend computer is the highest entity

ORione
2014-09-24, 11:59 AM
I don't play Paranoia.

Sleep is important.

Robert Blackletter
2014-09-24, 01:16 PM
Sleep is for the weak, who wants to be weak?

England is part of the U.K

Lheticus
2014-09-24, 03:22 PM
England IS the UK. The Irish and Scottish drink so much nothing left to them would get done, and who outside of Europe even knows that Wales is even a thing? (besides me.)

If it wasn't for the fact the above disagreement was said totally in jest to follow the rule of the game, it would be incredibly offensive.

TBFProgrammer
2014-09-24, 06:50 PM
There are plenty of other reasons such a thing could be said in jest that would limit its offensiveness in much the same way.

I am not a god.

backwaterj
2014-09-24, 06:51 PM
Probably offensive to the Scottish, Irish and Welsh (assuming they exist) but not to the rest of the world.

You are, in fact, the god of ninjas.

Houston is in Texas.

Lheticus
2014-09-24, 07:05 PM
Texas isn't a place, Texas is a state of mind--one that thankfully even being from Florida I'm never in.

This thread will be on the 7th page when TPBM posts.

PurityIcekiller
2014-09-24, 08:20 PM
No, it's the 10th for me. I've got the forum set to show only 20 posts per page.

There are 6.022×1023 units in one mole.

copycatcat
2014-09-24, 11:39 PM
No! Moles have way too many moles for that little unit number!

There are 15 smiley faces to the right of this editing box for this forum.

Angsty Anubite
2014-09-24, 11:58 PM
Are you kidding me? Only like, four of these things are smiling. :smallamused:

Dark is the absence of light.

backwaterj
2014-09-25, 12:07 AM
No, dark is light rolling a 40 on a Hide check.

All motion stops at absolute zero.

ORione
2014-09-25, 09:27 AM
Only the sith deal with absolutes, and they move quite a bit.

Itchiness is unpleasant.

Robert Blackletter
2014-09-25, 08:17 PM
Depends on how long you itch ...... and where!

Facebook is a good way of keeping in touch with old friends

copycatcat
2014-09-25, 10:07 PM
Depends on how long you itch ...... and where!

Facebook is a good way of keeping in touch with old friends

I disagree! How does hitting yourself with a book solve anything?

My forum name is copycatcat.

backwaterj
2014-09-26, 02:37 AM
Wrong, your forum name is Giant in the Playground Message Board Games.

Tin is a type of metal.

Orm-Embar
2014-09-26, 09:12 AM
Nonsense, tin ear is just a metaphor for bad hearing, possibly derived from tinnitus. Metal has a lot of subgenres but tin isn't one of them. Although it's not surprising that you'd get a tin ear if you listened to metal at high volume all the time, not that that's ever stopped me.

The periodic table of elements includes Au, commonly known as gold.

copycatcat
2014-09-26, 03:13 PM
The periodic table of elements includes Au, commonly known as gold.

Wrong! It's called gold an Au is just an abbreviation!

You will disagree with me.

Targ Collective
2014-09-27, 06:18 PM
Quite incorrect. I am not on the scale of agreement/disagreement with regard to that previous sentence, since I just don't care.

I invoke agreement with me in the next post written in this thread on the topic of whether or not I am agreed with.

Lheticus
2014-09-27, 06:44 PM
You can't just invoke an agreement--I'm gonna have to cite you with an Invocation Revocation Citation!

The preceding was not an example of alliteration.

backwaterj
2014-09-27, 08:09 PM
Incorrect.

repetition of the same sound, as a consonant or cluster, at the beginning of two or more stressed syllables

Just because it's not at the beginning of the words doesn't mean it's not there.

The following poster will post after me.

ORione
2014-09-27, 08:13 PM
Posters are inanimate objects that hang on walls. They can't make forum posts, whether before, after, or at the same time as you.

The percentage of old people with grey hair is higher than the percentage of young people with grey hair.

copycatcat
2014-09-27, 08:46 PM
Quite incorrect. They are just numbers, after all; they can't be very high or low.

AGC on agc.deskslave.org is an abbreviation for Another Gaming Comic.

braveheart
2014-09-29, 01:32 PM
I'm sure Shakespeare would find it to be naught but gibberish

Shakespeare is credited with writing many plays and poems

TBFProgrammer
2014-09-29, 02:06 PM
Shakespeare does not receive any of the payments on his works.

Keys are not the only way to open locks.

Lheticus
2014-09-29, 02:35 PM
Technically a destroyed lock or a bashed in door isn't an open LOCK, it's an open DOOR, and isn't a lockpick just another kind of key? :P

Super Smash Bros for 3DS comes out this Friday in the US.

Sange
2014-09-29, 03:36 PM
I disagree! If you live in China, it comes out today in the US.

OOTS is awesome.

copycatcat
2014-09-29, 03:42 PM
Hey! It's beyond so.

A word is a word.

ORione
2014-09-29, 04:16 PM
"A word" is two words.

Music involves sound.

TBFProgrammer
2014-09-29, 11:48 PM
Sheet music requires sound to be played, but it does not involve it simply by being.

Trees sometimes fall in forests.

Sange
2014-09-30, 01:16 AM
I disagree, a tree will always fall in a forest.

GMail is owned by Google.

Targ Collective
2014-10-01, 12:07 PM
I disagree. Gmail is an entirely separate service - Googlemail is owned by Google. there was even a lwasuit about that, but Google was able to keep the original Gmail addresses for early adopters like myself.

Blue.

ORione
2014-10-01, 12:10 PM
No, purple.

The :smallfurious: face is meant to indicate anger.

Orm-Embar
2014-10-01, 03:19 PM
Eh, sometimes it's used to indicate mere annnoyance or momentary irritation. It's so overused, the meaning has been debased.

We humans do not have a colony on the moon. Yet.

Sange
2014-10-01, 03:31 PM
I disagree, nothing says we will have one.

:smallsmile: is called smallsmile with a colon before the first and last letter in this forum's BBCode.

Neli42
2014-10-01, 07:05 PM
You are in error. When the code displays on some screens it clearly shows smallsmile with a colon before the first and last letter along with a red wavy line underneath to indicate a misspelled word.

Humans inhale and exhale.

Dagger Eye
2014-10-02, 06:07 AM
Dead humans do neither!

I want to watch an amputee get hanged as I call out random letters.

Lheticus
2014-10-02, 06:19 AM
Oh for--if you want to play Hangman, it doesn't involve hanging actual people!

The Dresden Files is a book series.

Zaydos
2014-10-02, 09:40 AM
The Dresden Files is the name of the show, since before it came out the books weren't called that.

Isaac Asimove wrote a wide range of genres including mysteries, science fiction, and dirty limericks.

backwaterj
2014-10-02, 05:21 PM
No, but Isaac Asimov did. :smalltongue:

A diet of only cheesecake and vodka is not considered healthy.

ORione
2014-10-02, 07:45 PM
Depends on who's doing the considering.

Flies are annoying.

Orm-Embar
2014-10-02, 08:48 PM
Not to other flies.

Horses have hooves.

TBFProgrammer
2014-10-02, 09:56 PM
Unless they are hobby horses.

Humans cannot fly unaided.

backwaterj
2014-10-02, 10:01 PM
Untrue, solo flights have been a thing nearly throughout aviation history. They do, however, require equipment to do so.

Clouds are formed from water vapor.

2014-10-03, 04:04 AM
No, clouds are formed from druids casting Control Weather.

Firefly should get another season.

Neli42
2014-10-03, 10:49 PM
How very wrong you are. Firefly should get several more seasons.

Earth has exactly one natural satellite.

RabbitHoleLost
2014-10-04, 10:12 AM
How very wrong you are. Firefly should get several more seasons.

Earth has exactly one natural satellite.

Not after I propel my former boss into orbit... I mean, depending on the given definition of "natural"

hangovers are bummers

Lheticus
2014-10-04, 10:39 AM
Well, hanging over a cliff from a rope I would say is infinitely preferable to the alternative.

Deciduous trees have leaves except in winter.

Laughing Dog
2014-10-05, 03:01 PM
You've never set one on fire, have you?

Boats float.

Orm-Embar
2014-10-05, 03:24 PM
Except for those that don't. Wreck dive, anyone?

Trilobites are, unfortunately, extinct.

TBFProgrammer
2014-10-05, 03:41 PM
That depends on which species you ask. A lot of trilobites were predatory and a lot of species are probably glad they don't have to contend with them.

Jupiter has more moons than the Earth.

2014-10-05, 06:50 PM
There's no people on Jupiter, so they can't moon anyone; by that logic, Earth has more moons than Jupiter.

Cats are evil.

backwaterj
2014-10-05, 07:58 PM
Cats mind their own business, urinate where they're supposed to unless they have a good reason not to, and don't tear up the house when you're away. At worst they're Chaotic Neutral.

Helium is lighter than air.

Lheticus
2014-10-06, 06:48 AM
Technically helium is a part of air, just a much smaller part than other elements.

Cows produce lots of flatulence, or "flatus".

PersonofJid
2014-10-07, 05:52 PM
No they don't. Cows produce produce. Why do you think they eat so much?

There are 100 cents to a dollar.

TBFProgrammer
2014-10-07, 08:05 PM
There are far more than 100 scents you can apply to a dollar bill.

Humor is a fun thing.

backwaterj
2014-10-08, 03:03 PM
Tell that to all the poor consumption victims getting leeched by barbers in the middle ages.

"Pie is delicious" is a subjective statement.

Lheticus
2014-10-08, 04:23 PM
The function of a pie is to be delicious. If it's not delicious, there's something wrong with it, like it's burned. Therefore, that is not subjective.

The first five digits to the right of the decimal point of the value pi are 14159.

2014-10-08, 11:03 PM
I disagree! Pi is an abstract concept with no set value; it is purely the ratio between the circumference of a circle and said circle's diameter. The fact that this ratio is constant across all example circles is irrelevant to mathematica.

Neli42
2014-10-09, 11:48 PM
Not all notation systems use a decimal point to indicate the division between whole numbers and those parts that are less than whole. In some systems, then, the first five non-whole digits of Pi would be to the right of a comma.

AvatarVecna failed to post a factual statement after disagreeing with the previous post by Lheticus.

backwaterj
2014-10-10, 02:55 PM
Look again. Pi is in fact the ratio between the circumference of a circle and said circle's diameter. :smallwink:

Rainfall is caused by condensation of water vapor in the atmosphere.

PurityIcekiller
2014-10-10, 03:30 PM
The condensation just makes the rain form. It wouldn't fall without gravity. The actual rainfall, therefore, is caused by gravity.

A cube has six sides.

Zaydos
2014-10-10, 03:45 PM
But each of those themselves have 2 sides an inside and an outside meaning that there are a total of 12 sides to each cube.

2 + 2 = 4.

Neli42
2014-10-10, 10:54 PM
Oh, no, no, no. When I watched two raindrops from one side of my window join together with two from the other side, they clearly made a single larger drop.

I am female.

BTW to backwaterj - My comment earlier about AvatarVecna was meant as my factual statement. :smallamused:

backwaterj
2014-10-11, 12:35 AM
Yup, and I disagreed with it. :smallbiggrin: Perhaps I could have been clearer that I was referencing a statement made by AvatarVecna after the statement "I disagree", but be that as it may:

This is the internet; you could be any gender, combination, or lack thereof.

North Dakota is located to the north of South Dakota.

Haruki-kun
2014-10-11, 12:53 AM
If you head south in a straight line from South Dakota, and continue that straight line, you would eventually end up in North Dakota. You can't claim that.

Canada is bigger than Luxembourg.

Laughing Dog
2014-10-12, 11:34 AM
Canada has 6 letters, Luxembourg has 10.

The default name for the hero of the Legend of Zelda series is 'Link'.

Lheticus
2014-10-12, 01:05 PM
You really think that's his name? I like to think it means he's the "link" between the game and the player.

Koalas are marsupials.

ORione
2014-10-12, 02:01 PM
They're called koala bears, and bears ain't marsupials.

Stabbing people will injure them.

backwaterj
2014-10-12, 02:38 PM
Stabbing an abscess with a needle heals the subject.

An hour is longer than a minute.

Prometheus II
2014-10-12, 08:09 PM
Preposterous! You can't measure time, which is an abstract concept, with a physical unit of measurement like length!

I was sitting at my computer to type this.

TBFProgrammer
2014-10-12, 10:34 PM
I find it entirely unlikely that you sat down at your computer simply to type that message. No, we can be almost certain that you intended to check this site and only incidentally ended up responding to this thread. Therefore, we can reasonably conclude that the transmission of said message was not the reason for your sitting in the specified location.

The above message contains more words than are strictly necessary to convey its meaning.

braveheart
2014-10-13, 01:53 PM
no I find your verbose use of vocabulary to convey a deeper meaning, one which would have been missed, had you simplified it.

I want to sleep

Lheticus
2014-10-13, 03:13 PM
Clearly if you wanted to sleep, you'd be sleeping right now.

The Youtube name of the LPer "Chuggaaconroy" is spelled with two "a"s.

Neli42
2014-10-13, 03:18 PM
I believe what you really want is to rest, and since that frequently happens best during sleep, it's easy to see how you became confused.

The common household cat is classified as either Felis catus or Felis silvestris catus.

ORione
2014-10-13, 03:43 PM
The Youtube name of the LPer "Chuggaaconroy" is spelled with two "a"s.

How do I know that you didn't misspell it?

The common household cat is classified as either Felis catus or Felis silvestris catus.

I'm pretty sure cats are in the class "cute, soft, furry critters".

Water is wet.

backwaterj
2014-10-13, 05:34 PM
Since wetness is the state of being saturated or covered in water, water itself cannot be wet.

The average bacterium is of lower mass than the average elephant.

Targ Collective
2014-10-14, 04:42 AM
Not true on the Devic Plane of House-Sized Bacteria (NEVER GO THERE).

Absolute, literal, perfect truth.