PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Ghostlike Template that is not Undead (3.5)

dextercorvia
2014-05-27, 12:56 PM
I'm looking for a creature or template in the low CR range that is ghostlike*, but not technically undead. Is there one where a creature is possessed by an outsider, elemental, or something?

*ghostlike in the sense of wronged creature that would haunt an area. It's not necessary that it have all the same abilities.

Inevitability
2014-05-27, 12:59 PM
Deathless? :smalltongue:

dextercorvia
2014-05-27, 01:16 PM
Deathless? :smalltongue:

Actually, this is too close to Undead. I need something with fewer immunities so I'm not screwing certain members of my party.

Necroticplague
2014-05-27, 01:20 PM
Ghosts, being intelligent, can take feats. Human heritage changes your type to humanoid (human). So a ghost could take it and become humanoid (human, augmented undead). Even keeps its original traits to boot.

OldTrees1
2014-05-27, 01:24 PM
Savage Species: Incorporeal Ritual: LA +2

Jeff the Green
2014-05-27, 01:25 PM
Weendigo is a Fey (cold) that results from someone starving in a cold forest and resulting to cannibalism to survive. It's pretty darn scary if you play it right (and get rid of that stupid "burnt off feet" thing).

Red Fel
2014-05-27, 01:42 PM
The Lost Creature template (MoI) might fit the bill. Lost are creatures whose minds become damaged by a stray wisp of Incarnum attuned to a negative emotion, such as rage or grief. Basically, they're Gollum. It wouldn't be hard to pick a landmark - for example, a grove, waterfall, or obelisk - and have a Lost who is obsessed with that landmark, thus keeping them effectively rooted to that general area. You could pick an emotion like Misery or Despair, and have the center of his radius be the grave of a loved one.

The Lost template doesn't make them undead, but adds the (Incarnum) subtype. It adds speed, natural AC, a slam attack, and a special ability based on the emotion involved (Misery, Hatred, Despair, or Wrath). It also adds DR, some physical stat boosts, and a major Int penalty.

sakuuya
2014-05-27, 01:44 PM
You're the DM in this situation, correct? You could just pare down the problematic immunities of the ghost template (whatever those are) and call the resulting creature something other than "ghost" so your players won't necessarily expect every ghost they encounter to be similarly weakened.

Otherwise, what specifically are the abilities that are causing problems?

Weendigo is a Fey (cold) that results from someone starving in a cold forest and resulting to cannibalism to survive. It's pretty darn scary if you play it right (and get rid of that stupid "burnt off feet" thing).

What are you talking about? The charred ankle-stumps are the best part! :smallwink:

WinWin
2014-05-27, 02:49 PM
Telthor. Unapproachable East.

Muggins
2014-05-27, 03:15 PM
Well, there's always the Ghost template from Ghostwalk.

No, really! It's an Outsider instead of an Undead, and it doesn't come with a level adjustment either. It's third edition material, but they released a 3.5e update which clears up the occasional moment of confusion.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-27, 03:16 PM
Unbodied (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/unbodied.htm), XPH. You really need to read the XPH entry on them to get all the flavor, though.

toapat
2014-05-27, 03:18 PM
Vivacious Creatures are also incorporeal outsiders. IIRC thats the only real value to the template at that.

atemu1234
2014-05-27, 03:47 PM
Phantom template from one of the monster manuals, can't remember which. Gives you incorporeal abilities without making you undead.

dextercorvia
2014-05-27, 04:09 PM
Lots of delicious ideas. Thanks all! Please forgive me for not saying which I went with until after my players encounter it.

Donox
2014-05-27, 07:17 PM
How about the ghost template from Ghostwalk? It is "ghost-like", but lacks most of the MM ghost's abilities. Its also only +1 LA.

Rubik
2014-05-27, 08:04 PM
How about the ghost template from Ghostwalk? It is "ghost-like", but lacks most of the MM ghost's abilities. Its also only +1 LA crap.Because Ghostwalk ghosts are terrible.

Aliek
2014-05-27, 09:30 PM
I think there's a few quori who are incorporeal? Not entirely sure right now, but Hashalaqs, I believe. At least on DDO they are, which surely isn't canon but I think it might work as a basis.