PDA

View Full Version : Weird@55 ideas #2: The God of Armour...

Thoughtbot360
2007-02-17, 10:14 AM
Weird@55 idea #2
*Plays Jackass the Movie music*

Once upon a time, Arcane magic ruled the world. In the temple of the God of Armour, an armored Archmage (headmaster of the Magocratic empire's primier magic school, which itself had ) mocked Divine Magic everywhere, as well as the gods that provided it. Normally devoted to the protection of brave mortals everywhere, the God of Armour was angered deeply by the archmage. And he invoked a terrible curse upon all mages. The Archmage died the most spectacularly, having his full plate compress and squeeze the life out of the archmage, their in the temple. Several other armored mages suffered a similar fate, but the armor went started for the chest, not crushing every ligament slowly into fine powder, prolonging the sense of agony. The other mages that happened to be armored at the time also did not burst into fire upon death. Druids at the time said "See, we told you so! Those metal armors are the devil!" Sadly, even mages in padded armor died like kobolds (http://www.koboldsatemybaby.com/KAMBpages.pdf) as the armor found new and creative ways to crush and/or suffocate them (padded armor inflated into a giant mage-envoloping marshmellow.)

As a result, anytime a mage dons armor, it squeezes the life out of him. To further send the message across the God of armor imposed on all mages a curse that prevented them from recieving the benefits of defense-enhancing cleric magic. Bards apparently did not incur the god's wrath (although they tend to be careful to give extra-proper respect to the God of Armour) Very few wizards and sorcerers survived until word got around that it was THE armor that killed them. Mages are looked now upon as jinxes that are dangerous to be in the same room with (possibly scapegoated for various problems, leading to persucution at some point in the history your campaign world).

God of Armour
Portfolio: Armour, Protection magic, Brave Warriors, Mage-killing character builds, Suffocating Wizards
Alignment: LN
Domains: Law, Protection, War, Destruction
Favored weapon: Spiked guantlet/Shield/armor

....So, would you use this in your campaign?

Artemician
2007-02-17, 10:50 AM
Wow. That's an insanely good and fluffy argument as to why wearing armour incurs ASF. Bravo!

*Yoink*

Thoughtbot360
2007-02-17, 11:49 AM
Wow. That's an insanely good and fluffy argument as to why wearing armour incurs ASF. Bravo!

*Yoink*

Yay! Someone finally responded to my thread!:smallbiggrin:

Actually, its kinda replacing the ASF rule with causing the mage to simply die. However, this ignores that in the model as it stands, a mage CAN get by with wearing very low end armor (Halfling wizard/sorc with 20 dex and leather armor/ studded if he feels lucky) whereas with this system, he simply dies. But you reduce this to just commonically inflate the armor so as not to suffocate him, but to muck him up to an amount approiate to the ASF% of the armor.

Also, "fluffy?" :smallconfused:

Earthstar_Fungus
2007-02-17, 12:37 PM
Fluff/Fluffy is a term used for backstory, descriptions, and things in that nature that are not actual numbers and but are for roleplay value.

Zincorium
2007-02-17, 05:16 PM
Yay! Someone finally responded to my thread!:smallbiggrin:

Actually, its kinda replacing the ASF rule with causing the mage to simply die. However, this ignores that in the model as it stands, a mage CAN get by with wearing very low end armor (Halfling wizard/sorc with 20 dex and leather armor/ studded if he feels lucky) whereas with this system, he simply dies. But you reduce this to just commonically inflate the armor so as not to suffocate him, but to muck him up to an amount approiate to the ASF% of the armor.

Also, "fluffy?" :smallconfused:

Really, a mage in full plate mail and a heavy steel shield has a 50-50 chance of getting off a spell, that's really not all that bad when you think about it. You can get up to 90% by wielding a tower shield while burdened by half plate, but that's the max you can get in the core rules without somehow wearing more than one suit of armor or shield.

Hopeless
2007-02-17, 05:27 PM
Weird@55 idea #2
*Plays Jackass the Movie music*

Once upon a time, Arcane magic ruled the world. In the temple of the God of Armour, an armored Archmage (headmaster of the Magocratic empire's primier magic school, which itself had ) mocked Divine Magic everywhere, as well as the gods that provided it. Normally devoted to the protection of brave mortals everywhere, the God of Armour was angered deeply by the archmage. And he invoked a terrible curse upon all mages. The Archmage died the most spectacularly, having his full plate compress and squeeze the life out of the archmage, their in the temple. Several other armored mages suffered a similar fate, but the armor went started for the chest, not crushing every ligament slowly into fine powder, prolonging the sense of agony. The other mages that happened to be armored at the time also did not burst into fire upon death. Druids at the time said "See, we told you so! Those metal armors are the devil!" Sadly, even mages in padded armor died like kobolds (http://www.koboldsatemybaby.com/KAMBpages.pdf) as the armor found new and creative ways to crush and/or suffocate them (padded armor inflated into a giant mage-envoloping marshmellow.)

As a result, anytime a mage dons armor, it squeezes the life out of him. To further send the message across the God of armor imposed on all mages a curse that prevented them from recieving the benefits of defense-enhancing cleric magic. Bards apparently did not incur the god's wrath (although they tend to be careful to give extra-proper respect to the God of Armour) Very few wizards and sorcerers survived until word got around that it was THE armor that killed them. Mages are looked now upon as jinxes that are dangerous to be in the same room with (possibly scapegoated for various problems, leading to persucution at some point in the history your campaign world).

God of Armour
Portfolio: Armour, Protection magic, Brave Warriors, Mage-killing character builds, Suffocating Wizards
Alignment: LN
Domains: Law, Protection, War, Destruction
Favored weapon: Spiked guantlet/Shield/armor

....So, would you use this in your campaign?

So a bestow curse with either Reduce or Enlarge effect... I did something similar with a circlet the idea was it radiated magic and when put on the wearer made a fortitude save or start taking damage as it shrank, of course the only time I got to test it the wearer managed to get it off the first time but the idea about padded armour enlarging is a new one on me!

Like the idea, but will never use the patron deity, of course that doesn't mean someone isn't going around spreading this rumour so mages don't wear armour...
Personally I got the idea from Red Dwarf but THAT involved a traditional form of underclothing and thats as far as I'm going to say!

Thoughtbot360
2007-02-17, 07:16 PM
but the idea about padded armour enlarging is a new one on me!

Actually it was kind of an after thought

Like the idea, but will never use the patron deity, of course that doesn't mean someone isn't going around spreading this rumour so mages don't wear armour...

Well, the deity is kind of a joke... but in a Bucket O' Gods world, where there is a god for basically everything, hey, maybe all the mage's problems really do stem from pissing off the heavenly embodiment of all armors. Its okay to just leave it as a rumour, but sooner or later, somebody is going to call BS on the superstition and try to wear armor himself. And as a GM, you'll have to consider what happens.

Vance_Nevada
2007-02-18, 05:23 PM
So the best way to kill a mage is to throw a suit of leather armour over his head?

Artemician
2007-02-18, 07:59 PM
Fluff/Fluffy is a term used for backstory, descriptions, and things in that nature that are not actual numbers and but are for roleplay value.

You misunderstand me... I've always found the concept of ASF to be creaky at best (I mean comeon... you can hold a dire flail with not ASF but not a buckler) so this idea provides me with a reason why it occurs (mythology-wise).