PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Covering up weak will save - with efficiency

Spore
2014-05-27, 01:52 PM
Greeting playground,

I play an Tiefling Alchemist who wants to get the full benefit of Master Chymist. So far, my calculations have brought me to the conclusion that I will never reach 20th level because I will get killed by a Death effect targetting a will save beforehand (and ressurrection is dangerous in our homebrew setting).

So far I will have a +7 save with Alchemist 10/Master Chymist 10 and Wis 12. That's still a measily +12 with a +5 Cloak of Resistance. My questions:

Should I take Iron Will and Improved Iron Will? Two feats are hefty and do NOT guarantee me to save. Guides recommend it but I am really not sure.
Any idea on any Discovery to take against that? (Parasitic Twin is both expensive and doesn't fit my character very well)

Any other ideas to cover my will save (or lessen the hit a failed save does to me?)

NightbringerGGZ
2014-05-27, 02:14 PM
There's a few traits that will add a +1 to your Will Save, so that's worth considering. Iron Will & Improved Iron Will at higher levels is actually an ok idea as you'll probably run out of damage boosting feats by the mid levels. A Cloak of Free Will nets you another +1 at a slightly higher cost than that Cloak of Resistance. Also, pick up a Wayfinder and toss either a Pink & Green ioun stone or a Scarlet and Blue one in there and you'll get an untyped +1 to Will Saves.

You could also look for bonuses against specific effects (Illusion, Enchantment) that aren't Resistance bonuses. Those would stack with your cloak.

Yanisa
2014-05-27, 02:20 PM
Not that I am impressed with Save Feats (although the improved ones are cool), but two points

Like you noticed, a weak save is a killer, if the choice is a feat less or dead character you cannot play, which would you choice?
Also +2 save is a increase of ~15 percent, in relative terms the extra bonus is huge. Rerolling and odds are also huge boosts, but harder to calculate.

Personally I never considered the feats though, they lack appeal and many of my DMs aren't really the save or die types, so I don't have to fear that either.

Besides that, how is your money? Headbands and Books can also increase wisdom, and thus saves. Or if you don't have the money, any party member that can help you with casting the spell Owl's Wisdom? That +2 will save without needing a feat or spend money.

LTwerewolf
2014-05-27, 02:30 PM
Is 3.5 material allowed?

avr
2014-05-27, 02:43 PM
If it's death effects in particular you're worried about, then some day when you have 38K burning a hole in your pocket you can buy a scarab of protection.

Of course there's a lot more than death effects targeting Will and some of them will be lethal directly or indirectly. A standard wayfinder with a clear spindle ioun stone covers many of them as per protection from evil.

Of course it would help a lot to have a friend who could cast mind blank at higher levels. Any chance of that?