PDA

View Full Version : Need an Elite Caster Group

Nicrosil
2014-05-27, 03:26 PM
Hello Playground, it's me again. For a campaign I'm doing, I need a group of elite NPC casters, focused on destroying the land, but then remaking it. Let me explain.

The party is a division of the government, a theocracy focused on Pelor. The party is in charge of investigating the weird, inexplicable, and blasphemous. Think the Fringe division meets the Avengers meets Crusaders. There is another, secret branch of the government, called the Red Hand (creative name, I know.) They're in charge of cleanup and cover up. If something dangerous gets unearthed in an investigation, or a towns person knows too much, they're sent in. They erase the site completely and totally, burning everything around it, scattering the locals throughout the continent, regrowing the land to make it look like wilderness, censuring unwanted information completely and totally.

Mechanics wise, I'm not sure what to do. Would a bunch of high level wizards or clerics do the trick? Or do I need a more complex build? The party won't be directly fighting the Red Hand for a while, so challenge rating shouldn't matter. Or should I not even give them stat blocks? I really don't know what to do as I'm not very familiar with higher level rules.

Thanks again, Playground!

Werephilosopher
2014-05-27, 04:03 PM
Seems like you'd need some powerful enchanters to ensure the scattered civilians don't remember or protest what happened, as well as to deal with officials of other nations wondering why a new village of foreigners who don't know why they're there suddenly sprung up in their territory; conjurers to spread the civies out geographically, and also to aid in making their new towns/recreating their old towns as wilderness; druids to further help remaking the land into wilderness; illusionists to drive away curious onlookers who approach the clean-up operations while they happen; clerics, to exorcise demons and undead who might be involved with the problem in the first place; and evokers to blast the area to bits in the first place, because even though conjurers are better blasters they'll be too busy with their other duties. :smalltongue: You'll also want some adepts and experts, maybe wizard/loremasters, trained in disinformation and record-alteration.

I don't think the builds themselves need to be complex, just as long as you have lots of different builds that each specialize in a different facet of what the Red Hand does. Just make sure you don't have TOO many different people involved, or there will be a stronger chance of the lid on their operations being blown.

Also, as a suggestion, it might be worth it just to have the clerics to drive out the evil forces, then mind-wipe the towns folk with enchanters, and not completely burninate the countryside. That seems kind of heavy-handed for a black ops group.