PDA

View Full Version : Holy Warrior

torrasque666
2014-05-27, 07:47 PM
Which is better for a divine warrior type, Favored Soul or Cleric? Because I'm still on the fence with my cleric about whether or not it'd be better to swap his cleric levels out for favored soul.

Glimbur
2014-05-27, 07:59 PM
Thematically, I find that Paladin or Crusader is best for a 'holy warrior'.

Favored Soul grows wings.

In terms of raw power the Cleric is best, and they are also actually able to heal problems the next day. A Favored Soul is in a lot of trouble if he doesn't learn Restoration and the party meets some unfriendly Shadows.

You're probably better off with Cleric, but I don't know much about your character or your group.

Darkweave31
2014-05-27, 08:02 PM
In terms of optimization favored soul can't hold a candle to a well built cleric. A cleric (especially with divine metamagic quicken or persist for buffing) makes an excellent warrior of the faith.

That said, in a lower optimization situation favored soul can still make a good holy warrior.

Personally I'd always stick with cleric over favored soul. If you like the spontaneous casting mechanism of the favored soul you could take a look at the Spontaneous Divine Casters Variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm). I find it interesting because domain choices have a much greater impact on different clerics' capabilities. It also tones down the power level of the cleric a bit if that's an issue.

Gildedragon
2014-05-27, 08:03 PM
Cleric: Domain access + Earlier spell access (thus earlier PRC access) + Turn Undead pool which can be cannibalized for a number of things.

The Dragon 311 Crusader variant cleric is also pretty good (smite + fighter feats + odd turning (which might be more useful)+ MWP) or the Rage cleric (same issue) which gets barbarianesque raging

Dont forget that from any of these you can hop into Prestige Paladin.