PDA

View Full Version : Question concerning Wildshape and advancing the monster I can shape into.

SaibenLocke
2014-05-27, 08:03 PM
I was playing around with a build Druid 5, Warshaper 5, Master of Many Forms 10. I was wondering can I advance the creature to the max HD. Example: Girallon. It can go up to 8-10 HD (Large); 11-21 HD (Huge). So would I be able to advance it to it's highest HD that I could shift into. Which would be 20HD. Or is it limited to just what is listed in the book?

Scrapheap
2014-05-27, 08:46 PM
Sadly you have to use the base forms that you wildshape into, no HD advancement, no templates.

eggynack
2014-05-27, 08:50 PM
I don't think it's a thing with a clear and unambiguous answer. I'd just advise going with the standard, unadvanced statblock, because doing otherwise has odd ramifications.

Crake
2014-05-27, 09:43 PM
While the alternate form rules specifically say no templates, they don't actually say anything about no advanced forms. Though as per the wildshape rules, you need to be familiar with the form you're shaping into, so you'd've needed to "become familiar" with an advanced girallon, whatever your DM interprets that to mean.

Bronk
2014-05-28, 07:09 AM
The stat block for the girallon maxes out at 21HD, so you should be good to go.

Urpriest
2014-05-28, 12:42 PM
This has been hashed out before. If advanced forms are legal, then so are forms with class levels if the creature can advance by class levels. Basically, there's no way to allow advanced forms without breaking things wide open.