PDA

View Full Version : assasin's party

zinycor
2014-05-27, 09:39 PM
Hello to all :smallbiggrin:

Am new on the forum and recently my and some friends are going to play a game of d&d3.5/pathfinderwhere i am the DM. We talked and we agreed that the party would be part of a big organization of assasins (like the dark brotherhood on skyrim) and they would start as lvl 1 characters. We start next weekend and i wanted to know if you can think of some cool low level assassinations that the party could attempt to try.

thanks in advance :smallwink:

(sorry about my bad english btw, working to improve it)

Cikomyr
2014-05-27, 09:41 PM
Merchants are usually a good starting target. Before going for the big nobility, military, wizardry, or royalty.

zinycor
2014-05-27, 09:50 PM
Merchants are usually a good starting target. Before going for the big nobility, military, wizardry, or royalty.

Nice, merchants should be esy enough so they could kill them and have some sort of defense so it could be entertaining for them :smallbiggrin:, thanks for that

Cikomyr
2014-05-27, 09:55 PM
Nice, merchants should be esy enough so they could kill them and have some sort of defense so it could be entertaining for them :smallbiggrin:, thanks for that

Make it interesting. Just telling your players that "X should be killed" is fine once in a while, sure. You can even start with that.

But eventually, maybe make it varying?

- Has to look like an accident
- Has to die during his speech before the King
- Has to die with convulsions in bed, as to totally freak his wife
- Has to die in a way that really makes him appear as a coward

etc.. etc... Bunch of assassins can very well act horribly evil (Assassinate a few children at the orphanage as to discredit the local cult), or pull fantasticly heroic stuff (kill/humiliate the Warboss of an incoming Orc invasion)

zinycor
2014-05-27, 10:04 PM
Make it interesting. Just telling your players that "X should be killed" is fine once in a while, sure. You can even start with that.

But eventually, maybe make it varying?

- Has to look like an accident
- Has to die during his speech before the King
- Has to die with convulsions in bed, as to totally freak his wife
- Has to die in a way that really makes him appear as a coward

etc.. etc... Bunch of assassins can very well act horribly evil (Assassinate a few children at the orphanage as to discredit the local cult), or pull fantasticly heroic stuff (kill/humiliate the Warboss of an incoming Orc invasion)

totally agree, i was thinking that the first missions should be very simple, like go and find this guy, then the guy has some guards, but he also has a very predictable routine on his day and then they may exploit it.

later on as they advance in the guild they would get more important jobs with some conditions like those that you just listed :smallsmile:

Cikomyr
2014-05-27, 10:09 PM
If you want me to give you some advices...

It's a good idea to create some idea for a "lingo" used by Assassins. Just like in The Masquerade, you talk about "the Kin", "Vitae", and all these fancywords, it's not a bad idea to follow Terry Pratchet's lead and have your guild call their.. "jobs" an.. inhumation, let's say.

Helps create immersion. Will also help the players have a "us and them" mentality regarding non-assassins. Also try to have one or two idiosyncratic rule for the Assassin's Guild.

zinycor
2014-05-27, 10:18 PM
I was thinking they should have some kind of oath they should speak on official meetings and some sort of "code of assasins". Some sort of slang would be nice too. Also the guild would be very influenced by some evil churchs, so the clerics would be very important in the party.

Cikomyr
2014-05-27, 10:22 PM
I was thinking they should have some kind of oath they should speak on official meetings and some sort of "code of assasins". Some sort of slang would be nice too. Also the guild would be very influenced by some evil churchs, so the clerics would be very important in the party.

Whatever rocks your boat. Ceremony is certainly fun.

Hell. Here's an idea:

A sanctified rule of the Assassin's Guild is never to shed blood (literally or metaphorically) during a meeting. However, as a meeting only starts during the "opening oath", and that oath may or may not be lenghtly...

So it's a somewhat semi-tradition that if you have to.. inhume a fellow member, you do it during his Oath. So an assassin saying his oath is always filled with tension, as everybody knows that it's the time that a strike might happen.

zinycor
2014-05-27, 10:35 PM
Whatever rocks your boat. Ceremony is certainly fun.

Hell. Here's an idea:

A sanctified rule of the Assassin's Guild is never to shed blood (literally or metaphorically) during a meeting. However, as a meeting only starts during the "opening oath", and that oath may or may not be lenghtly...

So it's a somewhat semi-tradition that if you have to.. inhume a fellow member, you do it during his Oath. So an assassin saying his oath is always filled with tension, as everybody knows that it's the time that a strike might happen.

i was thinking more on the lines that the oath would give him some sort of diplomatic inmunity, that way if you had to get rid of a fellow assassin you would do it before he even started his oath. But the general idea of the oath being very important is certainly there :D

Cikomyr
2014-05-27, 10:42 PM
i was thinking more on the lines that the oath would give him some sort of diplomatic inmunity, that way if you had to get rid of a fellow assassin you would do it before he even started his oath. But the general idea of the oath being very important is certainly there :D

We had the exact same idea. the Oath protects you.. for the meeting.

It's just that I think there's something absolutely fantastic, I think, with the players actually feeling the tension rise up as they say the oath, because they know they they are at their most vulnerable..

Oh. Probably make the Oath to be said on a pedestal, where you are exposed to all. Whereas BEFORE taking the oath, you are allowed to hide/protect yourself.