PDA

View Full Version : Merciful Martyr [Prestige Class]

Earthstar_Fungus
2007-02-17, 12:54 PM
Merciful Martyr

"I take in your sin, and make it my own."

Merciful Martyrs are people who take it upon themselves to absorb the disease and damage of others to save them. They are typically clerics.
Hit die: 1d10
{table=head]Level|Base Attack[br]Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Abjuration +1, Draw Poison|-

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|-|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+3|
+1|
+3|Abjuration +2, Draw Disease, Draw Addiction|-

4th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4|-|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
+2|
+4|
+2|
+4|Abjuration +3, Draw Possessor|-[/table]
Class Features
All of the following are features of the Merciful Martyr prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Merciful Martyrs gain proficiency in medium armor and with shields (except tower shields), but no weapon proficiencies.

Spells
At the 2nd and 4th levels, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in whatever spellcasting class in which he could cast spells before he added the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If a character had more than one arcane spellcasting class in which he could cast spells before he became an Merciful Martyr, he must decide to which class he adds each level of Merciful Martyr for the purpose of determining spells per day.

At the 1st level, the character adds 1 to the effective caster level of his abjuration spells. This bonus increases to 2 at the 3rd level and 3 at the 5th level.

Draw Poison(ex)
At 1st level, the Merciful Martyr can absorb the poison from another creature. The Merciful Martyr can not absorb the poison before the initial damage is done. The Merciful Martyr and the poisoned creature must be touching each other. The Merciful Martyr places his mouth on an oriface of the poisoned creature and draws out the poison. It takes a standard action to do this. After this action, the Merciful Martyr is poisoned but the creature is not. The Merciful Martyr gets a +4 bonus on saves to resist a poison acquired in this way. This ability can be used as many times as wanted.

Draw Disease(ex)
At 3rd level, the Merciful Martyr can absorb a disease or an addiction* from another creature. The Merciful Martyr can absorb the disease/addiction before any damage takes place, provided he knows it exists. The Merciful Martyr and the affected creature must be touching each other. The Merciful Martyr places his mouth on an orifice of the affected creature and absorbs the disease/addiction. It takes a full round action to do this. The Merciful Martyr is then treated as having the disease/addiction, including the same incubation/satiation period the creature had, while the creature is cured. The Merciful Martyr gets a +4 bonus on saves to resist a disease/addiction acquired in this way. Only one disease/addiction can be acquired at a time using this manner.

Draw Possessor(su)
At 5th level, the Merciful Martyr can attempt to draw a fiend possessing another creature in to himself. The possessed creature and the Merciful Martyr must be within 5 feet of each other. The Merciful Martyr makes eye contact with the possessed creature and the fiend and the Merciful Martyr make a will save. If the fiend has a lower roll, then it is forced to posses the Merciful Martyr. If the difference between the Merciful Martyr 's roll and the fiend's roll is 5 or greater, then act as if the spell Imprison Possessor was cast. If the difference is 10 or greater, then act as if both Imprison Possessor and Impotent Possessor was cast. If the Merciful Martyr rolls lower, then he is stunned for 1d4 turns.

*Found in the Book of Vile Darkness.

---

So, what do you think? From discussions on the forums, I've learned that spellcasting levels are very important and I don't think the benefits I gave the class quite make up for it. Are there any other things I could put up there that fit the flavor?

Legoman
2007-02-17, 12:57 PM
I think you're right - I'd lose one level at most, and even then, it's iffy.

Crack open the book of exalted deeds for inspiration, and then look at, say, the Archmage for the kind of power-level you're shooting for. You might also want to add some recurring penalties to the class - it's a martyr after all.

Earthstar_Fungus
2007-02-17, 05:19 PM
I wasn't too sure about the Martyr name. It was mostly the flavor phrase floating around in my head that prompted this. Guess I'll have to check out some more splatbooks.