PDA

View Full Version : Amusing observation about Shadow Evocation.

Aquillion
2014-05-28, 04:07 AM
You tap energy from the Plane of Shadow to cast a quasi-real, illusory version of a sorcerer or wizard evocation spell of 4th level or lower. (For a spell with more than one level, use the best one applicable to you.)
This is, to my knowledge, one of the few places the bolded text appears -- in fact, it may be the only one.

When using effects like these, players using spells with lower levels in partial casting classes (like Bard or Paladin) or with limited ones (like Healers) is a common exploit; yet the one place where they put in a line to keep you from doing it is in a spell that already specifies it can only be used for Wizard / Sorcerer spells.

I guess without that text someone could try to argue "hey this spell is a wizard-sorcerer spell but also has a Bard version, so I can use the bard version!", and there might be a tiny number of spells with different Wizard / Sorcerer levels (though I can't recall any), but it seems like such an unlikely interpretation that I find it amusing they put a specific clause against it here and yet not on any of the classes with broader spell access.

The line is even absent from Shadow Conjuration!