PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about Uncanny Blow

Exile
2007-02-17, 12:57 PM
Ok so I understand the first half of this Exotic Weapon Stunt for the Exotic Weapon Master. What I can't make sense of is the portion begining "If he has the Power Attack feat..." and ending with closed source information that I'm fairly sure I can't print.

This is my question. Power Attack already states:

"If you attack with a two-handed weapon, or with a one-handed weapon wielded in two hands, instead add twice the number subtracted from your attack rolls."

So what exactly is the description in Uncanny Blow adding? Is it saying I can apply my strength bonus x2 on Power Attacks when I wield the weapon in one hand? Or does this mean if my exotic weapon of mastery happens to be a light weapon then I can consider it a two-handed weapon when wielding it in two hands and therefore get a bonus? Or am I way off and its something else I haven't thought of?

Thanks,
Exile

Douglas
2007-02-17, 01:16 PM
The person who wrote that ability probably didn't actually look up Power Attack and thought that one-handed weapons normally get only +1 damage per point of penalty regardless of how many hands are used to wield them. So, that part of the Uncanny Blow ability has no effect because the benefit it gives is exactly the same as what you would normally get.

Roderick_BR
2007-02-17, 03:39 PM
Stack them, and make it give 4 times the penalty? If that's too much, maybe 3 times.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-17, 04:15 PM
Edit: Removed ill-considered comments of no relevance to the subject matter due to a misunderstanding on my part.

Thank you Ikkitosen.

Ikkitosen
2007-02-17, 04:17 PM
Yes, the last sentence is irrelevant. Perhaps the author thought that you could wield a 1h weapon in 2h for 1.5xstr to damage but still only 1x power attack. This isn't the case of course.

EDIT: He does mean penalty; he means you get 4xthe penalty you take to your attack rolls as bonus damage.

Zincorium
2007-02-17, 04:52 PM
Uncanny blow is still probably one of the better 'tricks' available from the class for certain characters.

Ikkitosen
2007-02-17, 06:07 PM
Absolutely.