PDA

View Full Version : Tech Help Droid upgrades



pendell
2014-05-28, 08:21 AM
Well, I have learned a valuable lesson about updating my droid. The upgrade broke my corporate email. Exchange on android seems to be particularly sensitive to upgrades in the operating system.

I eventually fixed it, But hereís the thing: What if this hadnít worked, and I had to fall back the upgrade?

What Iíve learned is: you canít do that on a droid. The only thing way to get rid of an upgrade is to do a factory reset, then reapply the upgrades. This will nuke all the data on the device.

So we need to be aware that, if weíre going to upgrade the droid operating system, there is an excellent chance weíre going to lose all the data on the device. If 99 applications work correctly with the update and only one fails, and that one is critical to our business needs, the entire phone/tablet will have to be wiped to get rid of the upgrade.

So the answer is: If you must upgrade the droid, first grab an SD card and put all your critical data on it first. That way, if you nuke your tablet, you haven't lost all your work!

Does anyone else have any thoughts/tips/suggestions on this issue?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Whoracle
2014-05-28, 01:36 PM
In regards to your original issue: Exchange is pretty sensitive to updates for its clients, on all platforms. That being said: I've never had issues with android updates and configured activesync accounts. What exactly went wrong? And what device are we talking about?

Overall I'd recommend deleting the ActiveSync-account on any device before upgrading, and reapplying the account afterwards. Since it's all stored serverside anyways, you're not losing anything anyways.

Oh, and backing up all your data before any OS upgrade is always a good idea. There's ROM backup tools that back up the entire device, so you can basically "factory reset" to the state it was before, but you'll need a rooted android device for those to work, sadly. Look around for Nandroid Backup for those cases.

pendell
2014-05-28, 02:19 PM
In regards to your original issue: Exchange is pretty sensitive to updates for its clients, on all platforms. That being said: I've never had issues with android updates and configured activesync accounts. What exactly went wrong? And what device are we talking about?


I don't think it was active sync. What happened was that after the update I could not synchronize with the exchange server. I first noticed that I wasn't receiving emails on my phone any more. Then I sent some test messages. I saw them from my PC but they never made it to my phone, nor did mail sent on my phone get over to the server.

Tried to refresh, and got the message "Cannot connect to server." No more information.

Double-checked the server ip, the email domain and username. They were all exactly what I was using on my PC, and that worked, so I knew something was wrong directly on the droid.

Did some net surfing, decided to try removing the account and then readded it. This pulled down an initial load of emails from the account, but it still would not send or resync. Finally rebooted, and this time it operated normally.
[/quote]



Overall I'd recommend deleting the ActiveSync-account on any device before upgrading, and reapplying the account afterwards. Since it's all stored serverside anyways, you're not losing anything anyways.

Oh, and backing up all your data before any OS upgrade is always a good idea. There's ROM backup tools that back up the entire device, so you can basically "factory reset" to the state it was before, but you'll need a rooted android device for those to work, sadly. Look around for Nandroid Backup for those cases.

Noted. Thank you.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Whoracle
2014-05-28, 03:00 PM
I don't think it was active sync. What happened was that after the update I could not synchronize with the exchange server. I first noticed that I wasn't receiving emails on my phone any more. Then I sent some test messages. I saw them from my PC but they never made it to my phone, nor did mail sent on my phone get over to the server.

Tried to refresh, and got the message "Cannot connect to server." No more information.

Double-checked the server ip, the email domain and username. They were all exactly what I was using on my PC, and that worked, so I knew something was wrong directly on the droid.

Did some net surfing, decided to try removing the account and then readded it. This pulled down an initial load of emails from the account, but it still would not send or resync. Finally rebooted, and this time it operated normally.

Well, Androids "Corporate Email" is using ActiveSync as the protocol. When you're talking to Exchange, you're talking via ActiveSync. But yeah, we had that problem on one of our devices, too. Was a bug in that version of Android, actually. We just flashed another ROM with a slightly different version and everything was good to go. We couldn't even get it running by readding the account...