PDA

View Full Version : Original System City fighting warbands Rulesystem

Ninjaman
2014-05-28, 08:52 AM
So i have been working on some rules for a homebrewed game system and thought i could use some input.
The setting is an almost abandoned city where the players control different warbands who fight for control over the city.

The rules (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GO_ZgCivlNBpxU_PYkzAWP5JtdaWaF2Rjy2LVPebOuI/edit)

I need help with:
The sight rules. I have a picture in there for how it works but i find it hard to explain in words.
The facing rules could probably be explained better.
Magic resistance could be worded better.
What other things need to be explained better?
What rules are lacking/ what rules shouldn't be there?
What rules should be changed?

The warband types (could use suggestions for more)
Inquisitors
Cultists
Dungeon
Treasure hunters
Undead
Elves
Dwarves
Barbarians
Greenskins

r2d2go
2014-09-13, 06:31 PM
So i have been working on some rules for a homebrewed game system and thought i could use some input.
The setting is an almost abandoned city where the players control different warbands who fight for control over the city.

The rules (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GO_ZgCivlNBpxU_PYkzAWP5JtdaWaF2Rjy2LVPebOuI/edit)

I need help with:
The sight rules. I have a picture in there for how it works but i find it hard to explain in words.
The facing rules could probably be explained better.
Magic resistance could be worded better.
What other things need to be explained better?
What rules are lacking/ what rules shouldn't be there?
What rules should be changed?

The warband types (could use suggestions for more)
Inquisitors
Cultists
Dungeon
Treasure hunters
Undead
Elves
Dwarves
Barbarians
Greenskins

Not sure if this is too late, but, read over the rules. They seem interesting, for sure.

The damage rules seem to allow extremely fast death, but since it seems more of a strategy game (people die but the army/warband survives) that's probably fine.

Sight rules are pretty easy, I think. "If at least one unblocked line can be drawn from a corner of your hex to the opponent's hex, you have obscured sight. If two unblocked, parallel lines can be drawn from adjacent corners of your hex to your opponent's hex, you have full sight."

For magic resistance, just say something like: "Whenever a spell would affect you, the caster rolls one less die. This skill stacks, reducing the caster's dice by one more each time." The colored die part is more of something a DM should figure out, and less something that should be in RAW.

Otherwise, most things are explained pretty well I think. I read over quickly so there are probably things I missed, but all in all very nice!

Some warband types you might consider:
Exalted/Angels (is this Inquisitors?)
Gnomes/Halflings/both
Raptorans :smallbiggrin:
Giants/Goliaths

Ninjaman
2014-09-14, 06:50 AM
Not sure if this is too late, but, read over the rules. They seem interesting, for sure.

The damage rules seem to allow extremely fast death, but since it seems more of a strategy game (people die but the army/warband survives) that's probably fine.

Yes that was on purpose.

Sight rules are pretty easy, I think. "If at least one unblocked line can be drawn from a corner of your hex to the opponent's hex, you have obscured sight. If two unblocked, parallel lines can be drawn from adjacent corners of your hex to your opponent's hex, you have full sight."

Thank you,, that's great.

For magic resistance, just say something like: "Whenever a spell would affect you, the caster rolls one less die. This skill stacks, reducing the caster's dice by one more each time." The colored die part is more of something a DM should figure out, and less something that should be in RAW.

I don't think that would work. It wouldn't be clear what happened if characters with different magic resistance was targeted.

Otherwise, most things are explained pretty well I think. I read over quickly so there are probably things I missed, but all in all very nice!

Thank you.

Some warband types you might consider:
Exalted/Angels (is this Inquisitors?)
Gnomes/Halflings/both
Raptorans :smallbiggrin:
Giants/Goliaths

The setting was supposed to be pretty dark, so angels wouldn't work.
I like the idea of gnomes and halflings, they could definately be added.
With raptorans I suppose you mean lizardmen. Not sure how well they fit in a city fighting setting.
Since it is city fighting nothing can be bigger than an ogre or minotaur, but I could make an ogre faction.

Thank you very much for the input.