PDA

View Full Version : Pick 1 spell for each spell level to be immune to

cosmonuts
2014-05-28, 01:27 PM
From the Magister's template features.

What would you say are the best spells to pick for immunity?

I'm guessing immunity to the dispel chain are great, as well as disjunction and AMF. Time stop is terrific as well.

What else?

atemu1234
2014-05-28, 01:39 PM
0: Prestidigitation. First one that came to mind.
1: Magic Missile. Classic 1st level spell, now useless.
2: Melf's Acid Arrow. Same as 1.
3: Fireball. Same.
4: I really honestly didn't think of 4-7.
8: Antimagic Field.
9: Disjunction. (I think it's 9th.)

Asteron
2014-05-28, 01:45 PM
Feeblemind. That one can be pretty scary...

Gildedragon
2014-05-28, 01:48 PM
0: detect magic
3: dispel magic

Xerlith
2014-05-28, 01:53 PM
0: Prestidigitation. First one that came to mind.
1: Magic Missile. Classic 1st level spell, now useless. Shield.
2: Melf's Acid Arrow. Same as 1. Blur, Mirror Image, Energy Resistance
3: Fireball. Same. Energy Resistance.
4: I really honestly didn't think of 4-7.
8: Antimagic Field.
9: Disjunction. (I think it's 9th.)

I'd go with those (if played 1-20).
1. Color Spray? Ray of Enfeeblement?
2. Glitterdust or Touch of Idiocy
3. Dispel Magic.

Alex12
2014-05-28, 01:57 PM
0:Acid Splash
1:Charm Person
2:Kelgore's Grave Mist
3:Shivering Touch
4:Evard's Black Tentacles
5:Dominate Person
6:Disintegrate
7:Prismatic Ray
8:Polymorph Any Object
9:Disjunction

Twilightwyrm
2014-05-28, 02:10 PM
0:Acid Splash
1:Charm Person
2:Kelgore's Grave Mist
3:Shivering Touch
4:Evard's Black Tentacles
5:Dominate Person
6:Disintegrate
7:Prismatic Ray
8:Polymorph Any Object
9:Disjunction

No point in immunity to Charm/Dominate Person, as they can be countered with Protection from Evil, and later Mind Blank, anyways. Kelgore's Grave Mist is annoying, but not the most crippling 2nd level spell by far. While I can see the logic behind immunity to disjunction, unless this is non-selective immunity, I would think Time Stop, or even Wish, might be more broadly applicable choices (unless your DM particularly likes being a jerk and throwing around Disjunctions).

Svata
2014-05-28, 02:23 PM
0. Daze
1. Color Spray
2. Ray of Stupidity
3. Shivering Touch
4. Black Tentacles
5. Cloudkill
6. Greater Dispel Magic
7. ???
8. PaO
9. Prismatic Sphere

Angelalex242
2014-05-28, 03:00 PM
The biggest choice, I think, is whether it's better to be immune to greater dispel magic, or better to be immune to antimagic field.

Quite a conundrum. Greater Dispel Magic is likely the better choice, but there's shenanigans to be pulled with the other.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-28, 03:47 PM
0: Sonic Snap, classic auto-hit-no-save Fell Drain material, but if you have Mettle pick Detect Magic.
1: Silent Image, automatically defeats every Shadowcraft Mage.
2: Kelgore's Grave Mist, more Fell Drain/Fell Frighten fuel.
3: Shivering Touch, no-save ability damage is bad, but if you have the cold subtype go with a Magic Circle against (your alignment).
4: Wings of Flurry, classic Sorcerer Arcane Thesis material, just about everything else at this level can be beaten with Freedom of Movement.
5: Greater Dispel Magic, from the Bard or Dread Necromancer spell list!
6: Greater Anticipate Teleportation, obvious reasons.
7: Blasphemy or equivalent, no-save effects are bad.
8: Antimagic Field, because the 6th level spot was taken.
9: Disjunction, obvious reasons.

The biggest choice, I think, is whether it's better to be immune to greater dispel magic, or better to be immune to antimagic field.

Quite a conundrum. Greater Dispel Magic is likely the better choice, but there's shenanigans to be pulled with the other.

Antimagic Field is a Cleric 8 spell, Greater Dispel Magic is a Bard 5, Dread Necromancer 5 spell.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-05-28, 03:49 PM

You can get immunity to GDM with the Spellblade weapon enhancement. Since Spellblade only works on targeted spells it's probably a better idea to select area spells to be immune to, especially things like AMF, Disjunction, Dimension Lock, Forbiddance, etc.

Spellblade is incredibly cheap and you can wield a surprising number of weapons at once so immunity to single target spells shouldn't ever be a problem unless you lose your equipment.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-05-28, 04:07 PM
On further analysis, only spells that allow SR are valid choices, per the wording of the ability:

Spell Immunities (Su): The Magister is immune to one spell each of levels 0 through 9 as if protected by a spell immunity spell. The spells are chosen when the Magister takes office and cannot be changed thereafter.

The warded creature effectively has unbeatable spell resistance regarding the specified spell or spells. Naturally, that immunity doesn’t protect a creature from spells for which spell resistance doesn’t apply.

Therefore, I'll revise my list to only include choices that it will actually be of benefit against, since this only works for SR: Yes spells:

0: Sonic Snap, classic auto-hit-no-save Fell Drain material.
2: Creeping Cold, more Fell Drain/Fell Frighten fuel.
3: Shivering Touch, no-save ability damage is bad, but if you have the cold subtype go with a Magic Circle against (your alignment).
4: Wings of Flurry, classic Sorcerer Arcane Thesis material, just about everything else at this level can be beaten with Freedom of Movement.
5: Baleful Polymorph, considering most of the others are SR: No or can be avoided via necessary item effects.
6: Disintegrate, obvious reasons.
8: Polymorph Any Object, again the lack of good SR: Yes options is troubling.
9: Implosion, a save-or-die that's not a [death] effect is dangerous.

Ruethgar
2014-05-28, 04:17 PM
I would become a Chosen of Mystra as well and take two per level so I don't have to pick between Wish and Disjunction.

cosmonuts
2014-05-28, 04:26 PM
On further analysis, only spells that allow SR are valid choices, per the wording of the ability:

Therefore, I'll revise my list to only include choices that it will actually be of benefit against, since this only works for SR: Yes spells:

0: Sonic Snap, classic auto-hit-no-save Fell Drain material.
2: Creeping Cold, more Fell Drain/Fell Frighten fuel.
5: Baleful Polymorph, considering most of the others are SR: No or can be avoided via necessary item effects.
6: Disintegrate, obvious reasons.
8: Polymorph Any Object, again the lack of good SR: Yes options is troubling.
9: Implosion, a save-or-die that's not a [death] effect is dangerous.

That's an important distinction. Thanks for pointing it out.

Melcar
2014-06-03, 04:24 PM
No point in immunity to Charm/Dominate Person, as they can be countered with Protection from Evil, and later Mind Blank, anyways. Kelgore's Grave Mist is annoying, but not the most crippling 2nd level spell by far. While I can see the logic behind immunity to disjunction, unless this is non-selective immunity, I would think Time Stop, or even Wish, might be more broadly applicable choices (unless your DM particularly likes being a jerk and throwing around Disjunctions).

Dont think its possible to be immune to timestop, since that is range personal. Nor disjunction... it affects magic... not you! IMO

It says under Elminster entry in both the epic level handbook and Forgotten realms campaign settings that: "Chosen Immunities: Elminster is completely unaffected by attacks that duplicate these effects [...]". This immunity is equal to the Magisters immunity. It also means that being immune to enervation grants immunity to energy drain. Thus my list is as follows.

1: Magic Missille
2: Ray of Stupidity
3: Shivering Touch
4: Eward's Black Tenticles
5: Enervation
6: Dissintegrate
7: Finger of Death
8: Maze
9: Imprisonment

It would depend on campaing, character and so forth, but the ones I have celected are rather nice i think.

Max Caysey
2014-06-04, 02:27 AM
Dont think its possible to be immune to timestop, since that is range personal. Nor disjunction... it affects magic... not you! IMO

It says under Elminster entry in both the epic level handbook and Forgotten realms campaign settings that: "Chosen Immunities: Elminster is completely unaffected by attacks that duplicate these effects [...]". This immunity is equal to the Magisters immunity. It also means that being immune to enervation grants immunity to energy drain. Thus my list is as follows.

1: Magic Missille
2: Ray of Stupidity
3: Shivering Touch
4: Eward's Black Tenticles
5: Enervation
6: Dissintegrate
7: Finger of Death
8: Maze
9: Imprisonment

It would depend on campaing, character and so forth, but the ones I have celected are rather nice i think.

Im sorry to tell you, but the "fluff" text at the writeup of the NPCs are wrong. It it only the specific spell. I looked it up in the 2ed "Seven Sisters" source book, and even there the immunity is stated as only being the single spell.

I will say though, that I would house rule, that when a spell, like Prismatic Sphere says, "like prismatic wall", one would be immune to both. Fireball and delayed blast fireball is another example. THis would make the immunity alot stronger than normal, but we are talking about high end NPCs, so I think it is only fitting.

Alleran
2014-06-04, 03:20 AM
I would become a Chosen of Mystra as well and take two per level so I don't have to pick between Wish and Disjunction.
Chosen are explicitly prohibited from being Magisters by order of Mystra.