PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil question

m149307
2014-05-28, 09:29 PM
Ok, I have a question about the Violet Veil. It states "Violet Veil: At 7th level, an initiate masters the seventh and final veil: the violet veil. This barrier destroys all objects and effects that cross it, as if they were disintegrated. Living creatures passing a violet veil must succeed on a Will save or be shifted to a random place on a random plane (as the plane shift spell). A violet veil is destroyed by a successful dispel magic spell. A warding with this veil is the equivalent of an 8th-level spell." I want to know about this: if a creature wearing magic items will have the items instantly destroyed (as well as any mundane items).

nyjastul69
2014-05-28, 09:42 PM
Items and effects are destroyed as per the disintegrate spell. If the Item or effect can be affected by disintegrate they are destroyed. Magic and mundane items can potentially be affected by disintegrate so they are destroyed. Note this class ability states they are destroyed as through the disintegrate spell, not treated as affected by disintegrate.

Zweisteine
2014-05-28, 09:43 PM
There might be a general statement about teleportation taking along gear.

By strict RAW, a character with gloves might lose them when touching the purple veil.

By any good/not mean DM's ruling (in my opinion), the teleportation takes your gear along, unless you intentionally poke the veil with an item, and not your body.

Cruiser1
2014-05-28, 09:59 PM
Ok, I have a question about the Violet Veil. It states "Violet Veil: At 7th level, an initiate masters the seventh and final veil: the violet veil. This barrier destroys all objects and effects that cross it, as if they were disintegrated. Living creatures passing a violet veil must succeed on a Will save or be shifted to a random place on a random plane (as the plane shift spell). A violet veil is destroyed by a successful dispel magic spell. A warding with this veil is the equivalent of an 8th-level spell." I want to know about this: if a creature wearing magic items will have the items instantly destroyed (as well as any mundane items).
My impression is that if the creature makes its save, it (and its items) pass through the veil without hindrance. Items are assumed to survive magical attacks, and if needed save based on the creature holding them, so if the creature makes its save its items are safe.

However, if the creature fails its save, it (and by extension the items it's holding) are sent to a random plane. Note if the creature is affected by Dimensional Anchor (meaning the plane transference doesn't work), and it rolled a natural 1 on its save, then 4 items held by the creature are affected by the magical attack, and so are disintegrated by the violet veil:

Items Surviving after a Saving Throw
Unless the descriptive text for the spell specifies otherwise, all items carried or worn by a creature are assumed to survive a magical attack. If a creature rolls a natural 1 on its saving throw against the effect, however, an exposed item is harmed (if the attack can harm objects). Refer to Table: Items Affected by Magical Attacks. Determine which four objects carried or worn by the creature are most likely to be affected and roll randomly among them. The randomly determined item must make a saving throw against the attack form and take whatever damage the attack deal.

nyjastul69
2014-05-28, 11:08 PM
My impression is that if the creature makes its save, it (and its items) pass through the veil without hindrance. Items are assumed to survive magical attacks, and if needed save based on the creature holding them, so if the creature makes its save its items are safe.

However, if the creature fails its save, it (and by extension the items it's holding) are sent to a random plane. Note if the creature is affected by Dimensional Anchor (meaning the plane transference doesn't work), and it rolled a natural 1 on its save, then 4 items held by the creature are affected by the magical attack, and so are disintegrated by the violet veil:

While I agree that this is likely RAI. It doesn't seem to be RAW. I would, and have, ruled it as you do. I don't think RAW supports that. Items, withouth regard to attendance, are destroyed.

Darkweave31
2014-05-29, 07:57 AM
I think in general any item that a character is wearing or holding is considered attended and part of the creature for the purpose of magical effects. For example, a fireball does not harm the character's equipment unless they roll a 1 on their saving throw. Thus, you can extrapolate that unless the creature passing the violet veil rolls a 1 on their save, their equipment is not affected. If they do roll a 1 though... bzzt :smallamused: