PDA

View Full Version : Optimization What is this fetish called and do you have it? (poll included)

Balor01
2014-05-29, 05:27 AM
The fetish of liking weakest possible classes and make them work? Like just the opposite of tier-one-all-day-erry-day.

Also Poll (http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=53870b27e4b0685c44d7b7f5).

Vaz
2014-05-29, 05:32 AM
Um...

Yeah, Iron Chef is all i have to say about this.

Waddacku
2014-05-29, 06:02 AM
That, uh, that's not a fetish. Usually, anyway.

Eldariel
2014-05-29, 06:49 AM
That poll seems to imagine there are no players who lack a certain preference or find joy on multiple layers. I love a good Tier 1 campaign with a skilled DM and no punches pulled; that's some of the most intense D&D possible. It does take a lot of work out of the DM tho, and not many have the system mastery to pull one off in any case. At the same time I'm playing a no-magic campaign myself and we're enjoying ourselves. It's squarely in the Tier 3 territory with everything being ToBbified and it's awesome. And at the same time, a Commoner-only campaign is one of my better memories.

On the side of building, optimizing any concept is fun and I certainly enjoy optimizing lower tier classes. While writing the archery handbook I've done a lot of tinkering with various non-caster archer builds for instance to see what they can accomplish. But cutting loose and going for high Tier 1 optimization is certainly fun too, and of course theoretical optimization has its place too.

Baron Malkar
2014-05-29, 06:54 AM
Hmm... Fetish (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wujVMIYzYXg).

Balor01
2014-05-29, 07:00 AM
a Commoner-only campaign is one of my better memories.
Mind = blown

sideswipe
2014-05-29, 08:37 AM
yeh i do this a lot.

truenamer
monk
fighter
scout
vanilla rogue
vanilla warlock
ogre (the monster class)

and if you want to include high tiers i have gimped to make weaker then

VOP cleric (exalted to the max taking all vows).

and probably a few more i cannot think of.

Darkweave31
2014-05-29, 08:53 AM
I play wizards not because they are tier 1, but because I love the roleplay of being the bookish arcane scholar and solving problems with creative application of magic. All the while delving deeper into arcane mysteries than any before me. It just suits me.

As for wanting to play the weakest possible classes... I have a friend that refuses to play factotums because it's too easy, instead they play experts. I don't quite understand why you'd forego a class that fits your concept perfectly in order to build a roundabout multiclass character to fit it, but hey... some people are :nale: (fighter/rogue/sorcerer), some are :elan: (Bard). Doesn't matter so long as everyone has fun.

lytokk
2014-05-29, 09:20 AM
maybe call it Underdogging, unless that's already a thing. And if you're good at making one of the lower tier classes rise above, you're more than likely a skilled optimizer who doesn't want to overshadow a group. At which point, I'd just call that being polite.

sideswipe
2014-05-29, 09:31 AM
maybe call it Underdogging, unless that's already a thing. And if you're good at making one of the lower tier classes rise above, you're more than likely a skilled optimizer who doesn't want to overshadow a group. At which point, I'd just call that being polite.

i took that as a compliment. thanks :smallsmile:

Spore
2014-05-29, 09:56 AM
The fetish of liking weakest possible classes and make them work? Like just the opposite of tier-one-all-day-erry-day.

I know what you mean. I think it's called "using the given potential". Playing a wizard is carefully maintaining power given versus not pissing of the DM. Playing a bad excuse for a class on 350% percent and basically driving around with wheels of cheddar while still being weaker than the group's cleric who basically can ask his god to kill you.

Eldariel
2014-05-29, 10:29 AM
I know what you mean. I think it's called "using the given potential". Playing a wizard is carefully maintaining power given versus not pissing of the DM. Playing a bad excuse for a class on 350% percent and basically driving around with wheels of cheddar while still being weaker than the group's cleric who basically can ask his god to kill you.

This is only assuming campaign difficulty is around published module level. A DM running a Tier 1 campaign can allow every T1 class to flex their full power (with very few restrictions) with no problem game-wise; indeed, that would be expected and Char Ops forums were rife with people playing that sorts of games. On the flipside, a campaign geared at 4 Commoners is going to probably have a somewhat lower difficulty or an entirely different focus.

torrasque666
2014-05-29, 10:38 AM

Err... being thematic? I mean, I'm aware that there are usually better options to be thematic with your character(with mundanes, its usually ToB. Which I should really look into.) but sometimes just because something does something BETTER doesn't mean its a very thematic way to do things. Then there are things like Monk. I considered one briefly for PF. Then I saw how MAD it was and noped right out of there.

Spore
2014-05-29, 11:25 AM
A DM running a Tier 1 campaign can allow every T1 class to flex their full power (with very few restrictions) with no problem game-wise.

That's the problem right there. I play in a high-powered evil campaign and my PC is considered a major threat to the civilized world. So I did the most natural thing. Created an orcish warlord. He was imprisoned by Drow and then removed from the story (I tried Int 5, Cha 5, my DM thought him to be a threat to big for his important NPCs, so he "freed" me). Then I created a Drow Ninja/Antipaladin to better get along with the story. He was killed in the first night by a Disintegrate (Fort +18, but rolled a 1, no ress because evil campaign).

Right now I play an Abyssal Sorceress currently confronting a Hellfire Devil. I will probably be severely disabled by Dictum. My only chance is to fake siding with the Devil and then backstabbing him (which will be hard because SR).

Eldariel
2014-05-29, 01:16 PM
That's the problem right there. I play in a high-powered evil campaign and my PC is considered a major threat to the civilized world. So I did the most natural thing. Created an orcish warlord. He was imprisoned by Drow and then removed from the story (I tried Int 5, Cha 5, my DM thought him to be a threat to big for his important NPCs, so he "freed" me). Then I created a Drow Ninja/Antipaladin to better get along with the story. He was killed in the first night by a Disintegrate (Fort +18, but rolled a 1, no ress because evil campaign).

Right now I play an Abyssal Sorceress currently confronting a Hellfire Devil. I will probably be severely disabled by Dictum. My only chance is to fake siding with the Devil and then backstabbing him (which will be hard because SR).

My point was that such a campaign can be run, but it has to be made clear to the players beforehand and the DM has to plan for it. As such, all players can pick appropriate classes and the DM can run the world as lethal as desired. Best of luck in your engagement with the Devil though. Social engineering can get you far with devils if you're evil anyways.

weckar
2014-05-29, 01:20 PM
I don't look at tiers when making characters to play. Where is that option on the poll?

Spore
2014-05-30, 01:29 PM
Best of luck in your engagement with the Devil though.

Tried to possess (Magic Jar) the Halfling Wizard acompanying him. Got killed in the process (by my sister, the group's cleric no less) and will be ressed via a Soulforge (Warforged body).