PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Any to count as other Creature Type?

Necroticplague
2014-05-29, 08:25 AM
Simple question: is it possible to count as a creature of a type not your own to qualify for PRCs? Specific example is that I have a character who I would like to take some of the undead classes from libris mortis, but they're currently a Humanoid(human, augmented undead, incorporeal). Prefferably this would be a feat chain, but a few level dips are also acceptable.

Hecuba
2014-05-29, 09:53 AM
Simple question: is it possible to count as a creature of a type not your own to qualify for PRCs? Specific example is that I have a character who I would like to take some of the undead classes from libris mortis, but they're currently a Humanoid(human, augmented undead, incorporeal). Prefferably this would be a feat chain, but a few level dips are also acceptable.

Do you specifically need to retain the humanoid type? If not, you could go the Necropolitan route.

If you do need to retain the humanoid type and your table only requires you to meet PRC prerequisites upon entry, you could go Necropolitan and then use one of the major rituals in Savage Species to go back (or use a Major ritual in both directions).

Necroticplague
2014-05-29, 10:09 AM
Do you specifically need to retain the humanoid type? If not, you could go the Necropolitan route.

If you do need to retain the humanoid type and your table only requires you to meet PRC prerequisites upon entry, you could go Necropolitan and then use one of the major rituals in Savage Species to go back (or use a Major ritual in both directions).

I want to retain the humanoid type (so that I can't be turned or subject to anti-undead effects).

I don't necropolitan is really an option. The character is a ghost, made a humanoid through Human Heritage. So I don't think it's valid for them to become a necropolitan. And as above, it would defeat the purpose of taking human heritage in the first place.

ben-zayb
2014-05-29, 10:22 AM
A strict reading of PrC requirement suggests that you don't need to remain qualified after getting a non-CompleteWarrior/Arcane PrC, so you could be a ghost, get the class (ephemeral exemplar I guess), negative level tricks back to 1st level, then chaos shuffle Human Heritage.

Hecuba
2014-05-29, 10:23 AM
Ahh, that makes it easy (again, assuming that pre-recs are only enforced at entry).

Retrain out of human heritage.
Take a level in the PRC in question.
Retrain back into human heritage.

If you need to actually keep the creature type long-term, it becomes significantly more problematic.
Subtypes are easy, types are not: all the methods I know of would actually change the type, not merely simulate it.

ben-zayb
2014-05-29, 10:44 AM
Ahh, that makes it easy (again, assuming that pre-recs are only enforced at entry).

Retrain out of human heritage.
Take a level in the PRC in question.
Retrain back into human heritage.

If you need to actually keep the creature type long-term, it becomes significantly more problematic.
Subtypes are easy, types are not: all the methods I know of would actually change the type, not merely simulate it.Yeah, that's easier by RAW, but weird retraining something like heritage. RAW nonetheless.

Necroticplague
2014-05-29, 12:54 PM
(ephemeral exemplar I guess)

Actually, Lurking Terror to make Malevolence and Telekinesis harder to save against.