PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on classes

Seharvepernfan
2014-05-29, 08:57 AM
We all know about the imbalance of classes, the quadratic-casters/linear-warriors, the tiers, and blah blah blah. Tier 1's and 2's ought to be powered down a bit; have their options limited, and lower-tier classes need a power boost and more options. I'm not here to talk about how to bring the high-tier classes down (though limiting access to swathes of spells seems like a good start), but I did have some thoughts on how to easily bring the lower-tier classes up.

It seems like spells are the answer to me (or spell-like options, like ToB classes have). I'm going to ignore ToB in this thread, because I'm interested in making weaker classes work with spells rather than going with a whole new "system" like ToB.

The Rogue, for instance. It's often considered a pretty weak class; it's fragile, it's skills are unreliable and are often completely outclassed by spells, and it's main way of dealing with enemies (sneak attack) is plain outright useless against whole types of enemies (and anyone with heavy fortification armor). Splatbooks have offered spells that let rogues sneak attack some of the regularly immune enemies, and other spells let them sneak attack at range, but rogues don't get spells. Enemies with blindsense/sight and various other types of detection (like tremorsense, scent, and so on) are another big problem with rogues, as they often require stealth to deal with problems. Darkstalker fixes most of that, however.

So, I had an idea; why not give rogues spells? I was thinking of giving them the assassin's spell list, with paladin/ranger progression, using Int as the casting stat, no arcane spell failure in light armor, and preparing them (rather than spontaneous). I'd add "Hide in Plain Sight"; a 1st-level spell that mimics that ability, lasts 10 minutes per level, and does not "expend" with an attack or anything. I'd add Darkvision as a 2nd level spell, and remove Magic Circle vs. Good. They still have UMD and retain all their other abilities. Along with Darkstalker and splatbook spells, I think it would solve many of the problems they face. Sure, a wizard gets the same spells and earlier, but doesn't have the other abilities of a rogue, and they have to sacrifice their spell slots to do it.

As for fighters and barbarians, I was considering giving them access to the war and str domains as clerics. This lets them enhance their own weapons and armor, buff and defend themselves, and attack from range with some capability (flame strike, power word, bigby's hand). I considered upping their will saves, giving them a few extra skill points, adding spellcraft and concentration to their lists, giving them access to cure spells, and a few other such things, but I haven't thought this out much.

It's easy, it doesn't require much work, and it fixes many problems. Just some thoughts.

JeminiZero
2014-05-29, 09:18 AM
Pyromancer had a similiar idea (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?249624) on tacking on other stuff to the lower tier base classes to boost them up. Similiarly, the base class in my Sig (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?234951) can used to assemble a custom fix of low tier base class + something else that fits the character. In particular the Ninja Wizard Rogue with Spells at the bottom of this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=12830679&postcount=17) may interest you.

PersonMan
2014-05-29, 09:19 AM
This only works if everyone wants to play a spellcaster, though.

LTwerewolf
2014-05-29, 09:24 AM

Indeed. If people wanted to play a rogue with spells, they'd pick spellthief or factotum. They picked rogue for a reason.

sideswipe
2014-05-29, 09:29 AM
spell casting is not for everyone. other options i have thought of is that weaker classes have a type of "negative level adjustment"

to explain, if you are a wizard you play normally. if you take for example a tier 4 or less class you may have a +1 LA race (or 1 racial hit die) for free and tier 5 you get +2 LA and lowest of the low get free +3 LA.

so a teifling rogue has no level adjust and you could be a level 1 teifling rogue. the same teifling taking wizard would keep the level adjust

thoughts?

Seharvepernfan
2014-05-29, 09:38 AM

Indeed. If people wanted to play a rogue with spells, they'd pick spellthief or factotum. They picked rogue for a reason.

D&D is really not a game for people who don't use some kind of magic. You're going to have magic items that replicate spells; why not cast them yourself? If you didn't lose any class abilities, what's the problem? If you want to play a magic-less character, play E6 or use ToB (though plenty of that is magical and often very spell-like). Otherwise you're going to fall behind or have to play a lower-powered game. That's just the facts.

LTwerewolf
2014-05-29, 11:34 AM
D&D is really not a game for people who don't use some kind of magic. You're going to have magic items that replicate spells; why not cast them yourself? If you didn't lose any class abilities, what's the problem? If you want to play a magic-less character, play E6 or use ToB (though plenty of that is magical and often very spell-like). Otherwise you're going to fall behind or have to play a lower-powered game. That's just the facts.

Here's the thing though: if you have a group of low op people that don't know better, you already should have a lower powered campaign. If you have a group of high op people that do know the tier list and why each class is there, then they know the drawbacks of picking one of those mundane classes, and do so anyhow. Either way, it's not really a huge issue. The benefit for a lot of the mundane classes (read: all of them) is that if you want the feel of that class, there's always another one that's similar.

OldTrees1
2014-05-29, 05:39 PM

Not everyone likes their magic in Vancian or Mana flavors. Some prefer At-Will or even Passive magic. People that choose the Passive classes (Rogue, Fighter, ...) over Vancian or Psionics are probably not interested in you removing what they like about the classes they chose.