PDA

View Full Version : Superhero M&M 3E (building oracle, with a remote controlled droid)

JohnStone
2014-05-29, 11:19 AM
hello all, I am very new to the M&M system and have no idea what i am doing. For my first concept i wanted to build a highly intelligent Oracle type hero. with things like computer mastery, knowledge checks, and other support role mechanics. The difficult part is the concept of the main "Hero" or "Body"... I want to interact with the world/PCs through a remote controlled droid, Equipped with sensors,defenses (forcefield), Tools (possibly medical), and weapons.
I have been looking through the pages i can find for Constructs,Mechas, and Minions but can't really find a way to pull this off. The simplest solutions are preffered as both myself and the GM are new to the system. Thankyou

Grod_The_Giant
2014-05-29, 04:15 PM
So, your character has two states, yes? "Droid" or "In Person?" But you want to be able to do both? The big problem is going to be avoiding the "armchair psychic" archetype, who avoids all risk by never actually being present.

Exact-but-Complex method
The best way to represent such concepts is usually the ol' Morph 1, Continuous, Metamorph 1. You build two separate characters, both with that power, and switch between them as a free action. Now, that's pretty good, but it's not quite right-- you're not turning into a droid. There will be something left behind. Something catatonic, really. A lump of flesh or metal. Hmm... that sounds like some sort of Create, Linked to the Morph. We'll need about 2 ranks to get something human-sized (according to my hasty googling). Now, for the extras... well, it's a real thing, so we'll make the Create power Continuous, Subtle 1, and Innate. It's also you, so we'll need some Feedback for when it gets hit. But only on the one that is you-- the droid wouldn't have that, I shouldn't think. And we can probably do a Limited (Predetermined shape) flaw, a Limited (Only one object at a time), as well as Reduced Range, so that it only appears when it's right next to you. And now that we've got a lump appearing whenever we transform, we'll go back and add a Limited (Only when adjacent to Created object) to the Morph effect.

So, putting it all together, the power looks something like this:

Human to Drone (8 2/3 points)-- Morph 1 (Droid), Continuous, Metamorph 1, Limited (Only when adjacent to Created Object); Linked to Create 2, Continuous, Subtle 1, Innate, Feedback, Reduced Range, Limited (Predetermined shape), Limited (Only one Object at a Time)

Drone to Human (9 points)-- Morph 1 (Droid), Continuous, Metamorph 1, Limited (Only when adjacent to Created Object); Linked to Create 2, Continuous, Subtle 1, Innate, Feedback, Reduced Range, Limited (Predetermined shape), Limited (Only one Object at a Time)

Now, it looks really complicated written down, but it should do exactly what you're describing in play-- you're projecting your consciousness into another body, while the abandoned one just kind of lies around inertly. If it's the human body lying around, damaging it can hurt and kill you. Keep the mental abilities, skills, and advantages the same in both forms, as it's the same mind controlling both bodies.

Simpler Method A

Make the droid your main hero. Have a Complication about needing to be in communication with your master at all times.
Spend some points on the Sidekick advantage to build the "real" character.
Make sure both have Senses 1 (Communications Link)
Leave your "sidekick" back at your headquarters most of the time.

This is obviously a lot simpler, but it doesn't fit the request quite so well, since you can have both drone and human on the field at the same time. The drone is the primary character since it sounds like he'd be the one in danger most of the time; GMs would (rightly) be leery about allowing things to work the other way around, as it allows you to adventure with no real risk.

Simpler Method B
Do the same Morph 1, Continuous, Metamorph 1, with a new Limited (Only while in lab) modifier. This'll do what you want in, of, 80% of all cases, but there are a lot of weird bits about why the drone has to come home before you can jack out, what happens to your body/the drone when you're in the other "form," and stuff like that.

Simplest Method
Build the drone as your character and represent the "actually controlled by a human" thing as a Complication. Role-play accordingly. This gives you maximum simplicity, but no real mechanical way for your human form to do stuff.

In All Cases
Consider buying some degree of Immortality for the drone, since if it's destroyed the human master can just build a new one. For the first (complex) option, you might add Limited (Killing human body is permanent death).

smuchmuch
2014-06-04, 04:41 AM
The big problem is going to be avoiding the "armchair psychic" archetype, who avoids all risk by never actually being present.

Frankly in that case, I think that might be quite justified here and unavoidable

The drone is the primary character since it sounds like he'd be the one in danger most of the time; GMs would (rightly) be leery about allowing things to work the other way around, as it allows you to adventure with no real risk.

Fits the concept.
Besides a the difference of your average bathroom mentalist, here the character can be neutralized. If the drone is destroyed she looses all influence on the battlefield; Gm sjut ha to (rightfully) declare that no, you cna't have another one until at the very least next session and that's the character mostly out of the game anyway (even if not directly)

I have been looking through the pages i can find for Constructs,Mechas, and Minions but can't really find a way to pull this off. The simplest solutions are preffered as both myself and the GM are new to the system. Thankyou

Just buy the drone as a sidekick or a minion. (or as grodd pointed out, the body as the sidekick)
Minion puts you vulnérable to mnin rules, so sidekick would be the bst, a very expensive sidekick. And a continuous mental and perception link limited to your sidekick