PDA

View Full Version : DM Help lightly optimising some pre-gen characters

sideswipe
2014-05-29, 01:23 PM
Hello playground
at my group i am going to be running a level 3 till about level 6-8 campaign with some pre-gen characters (as most of my group are noobs and the others are experienced role players but in no way are they optimisers). the campaign is low optimisation but i want everyone to feel they do their thing well.

i am trying to create a set of 12 characters to choose from, as i will have about 4-6 players, and i am trying to make a few archetypes and roles to play.
each should have a level of optimisation fit for a newer player and that brings it in line with the rest of the group in some respect.

the characters; classes, role and races are -
1. barbarian (brute strength) - Neanderthal
2. warblade (combat tricks) - human
3. war mage (ranged damage) - elf
4. rogue (melee build) - lesser tiefling
5. factotum (all round) - gray elf
6. good cleric (healing) - illumian
7. bard (buffing) - spellscale
8. wizard (utility) - Deep Imaskari
9. marshal (buffing and talking) - half elf
10.druid (druid things) - killoren
11.paladin (tank or melee dps) - lesser assimar (paladiny things)
12.monk/unarmed swordsage - ???? some sort of Bruce lee type? (completely undecided).

so far the barbarian (being a low tier) is whirling frenzy, lion totem with power attack, cleave and improved bull rush. as you can see its a damage build that could go shock trooper. but no crazy 1000 damage per hit. just a fair amount for low op.

the warblade is also built, has 2 stances and 5 manoeuvres. (martial study and stance). has adaptive style and weapon focus (so it can be changed for any weapon) the manoeuvres and stances allow for damage, some combat control and some buffing.

I'm currently building the warmage. i want it to be a ray user/evoker (I know its not optimised but that's the point) essentially the fire mage type but with more than just fire. i need a couple of nice feats to take to increase damage other than empowers or some other nice things they could have.

the rest i have ideas for. but I want to ask the playground about a couple of nice tricks and optimisation bits I can give the weaker classes to bring them up in line with the wizards, druids and clerics.

I'm not looking for cheese or game breaking, just things to give the other classes a chance to compete with the usefulness or power of a caster.

thank you in advance for your help.

Angelalex242
2014-05-29, 01:45 PM
For starters...since you start at level 3, you can use a full Aasimar and say he did LA buyoff and is down to ECL 3. Might help a little.

sideswipe
2014-06-04, 03:46 PM
any other ideas on things for the other classes?

Tvtyrant
2014-06-04, 03:54 PM
Anyway you could swing a Goliath Barbarian with Mountain Rage? At level 3 (buying off the single LA) those things are unbelievable. Turn large, hit with a massive bonus to strength.

sideswipe
2014-06-04, 03:59 PM
Anyway you could swing a Goliath Barbarian with Mountain Rage? At level 3 (buying off the single LA) those things are unbelievable. Turn large, hit with a massive bonus to strength.

where is mountain rage? i am unfamiliar.

Tvtyrant
2014-06-04, 04:06 PM
where is mountain rage? i am unfamiliar.

Chapter 6 of Races of Stone has a substitution level for Goliaths which allows them to switch Rage (+4 to strength, etc.) for Mountain Rage (+6 to strength and you turn large, otherwise rage as normal.) Basically it turns your Goliath (who already gets a +4 to strength) into an Ogre for a while and without losing levels in anything. Plus the Goliath still gets to wield a weapon a size larger then them, so huge Minotaur Greathammer of death!

WeaselGuy
2014-06-04, 04:14 PM
I'm seeing something like the following for a decent Rogue build...

Progression
1 Swashbuckler
2 Swashbuckler
3 Rogue
4 Rogue
5 Rogue
6 Rogue
7 Swashbuckler
8 Rogue

Feats
1C - Weapon Finesse
1 - Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Elvish Courtblade)
3 - Craven
6 - Daring Outlaw

ACFs
Rogue 3, Penetrating Strike instead of Trap Sense +1, allows you to Sneak Attack stuff immune to Sneak Attacks, for half damage

Speaking of which, you get +4d6 Sneak Attack damage, with a Finessed 1d10 18-20 x2 two hander. Get it Keen for 15-20 critical threat range.

Edit: You also add your Intelligence modifier to damage through Swashbuckler's level 3 Insightful Strike.