PDA

View Full Version : A more flexible Stat rolling idea?

RMS Oceanic
2007-02-18, 08:26 AM
To get six stats, One usually rolls six sets of four dice. In each set, they ignore the lowest score and add the other three together e.g.

Strength - [roll0]
Constitution - [roll1]
Dexterity - [roll2]
Intellect - [roll3]
Wisdom - [roll4]
Charisma - [roll5]

I propose an alternate, more flexible system. We take all the die rolls and role them as one big set i.e. roll 24 dice and ignore the lowest six.

[roll6]

This gives us a bunch of stat points that we can divide as we choose, for a maximum of 18 and a mimimum of 3, before class/race/level modifiers. if the total is 54 or less, you can reroll.

I felt this allows more flexibility in the creation of characters, and reduces the risk that you won't have the stat needed to give your character that feat you wanted. What do you think?

Matthew
2007-02-18, 08:29 AM
That's one option. There are many, many variations on generating Attribute Scores available. This seems as reasonable as any other.

Ashes
2007-02-18, 08:50 AM
Well, if you're doing it that way, why not just use point buy and save the trouble of rolling?

Ikkitosen
2007-02-18, 08:53 AM
4d6 is already considered pretty good, but this is point buy with a randomly large number of points and no extra cost for high scores. It would lead to, on average, powerful characters.

Matthew
2007-02-18, 09:23 AM
I think that is the intention, though.

Ikkitosen
2007-02-18, 09:51 AM
Then that's fine :) It would encourage a high/low combo, as opposed to the more average distribution often seen when using standard point buy.

EDIT: I made a cleric using a similar 1:1 system using 82 points (I think). I took 18/10/16/10/18/10 :)

Neek
2007-02-18, 04:47 PM
A more flexible variant is roll 24d6, drop the lowest six and apply 3 dice per attribute. This could create a more reasonable set-up than otherwise.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-02-18, 04:51 PM
I had a DM that had us do 6d6, drop lowest three once. I was the only one that opposed doing it that way, as I hate rolling because I truly do have the worst luck in the world. The DM said that was total nonsense and that even my "bad luck" couldn't screw this up.

One of my stats ended up a 5 and I was at least a net gain of 15 under the next lowest player before the DM decided to let me point buy. He has never questioned my insane bad luck with dice ever again.