PDA

View Full Version : Whats the purpose of 'Frantic Rage'?

Dominuce2112
2014-05-30, 09:25 AM
The feat known as 'Frantic Rage' from Faiths in Eberron lets a barbarian change the str bonus given by his rage, into Dex. I am making a very tribal/animalistic archer and this would fit perfectly.

However, this feat has a requirement in which I see zero benefit of. It requires access to the clerics Madness domain.

Why would anyone ever go Cleric/Barbarian and need dex? Am I missing some sort class or ability combo? Is there some strange item or feat that simply grants access to the madness domain? Why is this a requirement!?!?

Any info would be helpful. I know there are other rage alternate options (whirling, ferocity, even Implacable from DM #330 but this one fits exactly what I am looking for. A cool roleplay hook with a rage, some survivability and a boost to my primary stat (along with full bab and hp)

Rebel7284
2014-05-30, 09:31 AM
Planar Touchstone feat would give you access to the domain. Looks like the flavor is that madness helps you be more unpredictable and thus harder to land a blow on (more dex).

Dominuce2112
2014-05-30, 09:34 AM
I guess im more questioning the reasoning requirement of the madness domain.

I just read the planar touchstone feat. I am completely lost. It doesnt mention anything about domains. Can anyone explain to me how that feat works?

nedz
2014-05-30, 09:34 AM
A 1 level Cleric Dip would be a useful option for nay mundane character.

Cleric based Archers work well — so that's another option.

Arcane casters could pick this up with Arcane Disciple — and there are many Rogue/Mage type builds possible here.

Rebel7284
2014-05-30, 09:39 AM
I guess im more questioning the reasoning requirement of the madness domain.

I just read the planar touchstone feat. I am completely lost. It doesnt mention anything about domains. Can anyone explain to me how that feat works?

The feat allows you to bond to one of several extraplanar locations given in the Planar Handbook.
Just taking the feat automatically gives you a minor benefit.
If you actually visit the site, you can get other benefits.

The location Catalogs of Enlightenment has a minor benefit of granting you the domain granted power of a domain. Actually visiting the location allows you to cast the spells from this domain (with some limitations between visits as I recall.)

Pretty sure there is a handbook on this feat you can find via google due to the number of awesome benefits you can get from it.

Edit: There is also a handbook on dipping cleric for one level. You can get several SUPER useful abilities from domain powers, and some 1st level spells remain useful for a martial character.

Dominuce2112
2014-05-30, 09:39 AM
A 1 level Cleric Dip would be a useful option for nay mundane character.

Cleric based Archers work well — so that's another option.

Arcane casters could pick this up with Arcane Disciple — and there are many Rogue/Mage type builds possible here.

I wanted to keep this archer martial if possible. As of now hes ranger/fighter and being a very simple lizardfolk hunter IDK if caster would fit with whats trying to go on. I just dont see how having that domain as a requirement is beneficial to any barbarian.

Dominuce2112
2014-05-30, 09:41 AM
The feat allows you to bond to one of several extraplanar locations given in the Planar Handbook.
Just taking the feat automatically gives you a minor benefit.
If you actually visit the site, you can get other benefits.

The location Catalogs of Enlightenment has a minor benefit of granting you the domain granted power of a domain. Actually visiting the location allows you to cast the spells from this domain (with some limitations between visits as I recall.)

Pretty sure there is a handbook on this feat you can find via google due to the number of awesome benefits you can get from it.

thanks a lot. it might be a reach plot wise... but ill see what I can do. Gotta figure out if its worth 2 feats or if I should just go ferocity/implacable.

D4rkh0rus
2014-05-30, 10:04 AM
thanks a lot. it might be a reach plot wise... but ill see what I can do. Gotta figure out if its worth 2 feats or if I should just go ferocity/implacable.

If the only thing its doing is changing your str bonus from rage to dex, you're better off going ferocity, you trade off Con (which as an archer you shouldn't be needing THAT much) for Dex. For an archer, that is much more beneficial than the normal rage.

with those 3 feats you could get stuff like extra rages, or longer rages, or inmediate action rages or rage this or rage that. Or you know, other feats... like woodland sniper and so on.

Moral of the story. 8 ish Con IS NOT worth 3 feats. Take ferocity. you won't regret it

The Insanity
2014-05-30, 10:37 AM
I just dont see how having that domain as a requirement is beneficial to any barbarian.
It's not. It's a fluff requirement.

Dominuce2112
2014-05-30, 12:27 PM
If the only thing its doing is changing your str bonus from rage to dex, you're better off going ferocity, you trade off Con (which as an archer you shouldn't be needing THAT much) for Dex. For an archer, that is much more beneficial than the normal rage.

with those 3 feats you could get stuff like extra rages, or longer rages, or inmediate action rages or rage this or rage that. Or you know, other feats... like woodland sniper and so on.

Moral of the story. 8 ish Con IS NOT worth 3 feats. Take ferocity. you won't regret it

Ferocity can actually be used as an immediate action, so I would probably go for extra rages. I just wanted the con because as of this point in time, I am pretty sure I am the bulkiest of the group (i dont know much about planar shepherds tho)

And the strength would (most of the time) go to waste since I am not going to carry around a 2nd bow thats higher rated. My main bow is an ancestral relic. Ill think of something tho, fighting shadows, the str boost might be nice.

John Longarrow
2014-05-30, 12:36 PM
Dominuce2112

I've learned that many features in the game are based off of some designers preconcieved notion of who would want to have that ability without paying attention to who else could want to abuse it.