PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Decent PF Sorcerer guide?

Talya
2014-05-30, 01:49 PM
Neither of the PF sorcerer guides I've found will even discuss paragon surge. (One mentions that she bans the spell in every game she's in, so there's no point talking about it.)

Seems to me, it's a cornerstone of a lot of PF sorcerer builds, but I can't find any guides that actually talk about it.

Yanisa
2014-05-30, 02:08 PM
Paragon Surge is so powerful, it gets its own guide (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2ox7t?The-Mini-Guide-to-Paragon-Surge). :smalltongue:

But no, seemingly none of the Sorcerer guides I know/quickly can find mention the spell. I guess most people assume it gets instant banned when used.

aleucard
2014-05-30, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Yanisa has the right of it. There are several feats available that would be of major benefit if taken but the player doesn't have room for, and some that have massively increased benefit due to the nature of this particular spell allowing the user to change their selection basically at will. It's the 'Floating Feat' class feature of Chameleon in spell form. If your DM allows the 3.5 version of Persist Spell, then you have the class feature exactly, although some uses are better without that. Most DM's aren't prepared to allow that level of cheese at the user's discretion, so it's a good assumption that you'll only be allowed to cast it once, if that.

Raven777
2014-05-30, 10:15 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Yanisa has the right of it. There are several feats available that would be of major benefit if taken but the player doesn't have room for, and some that have massively increased benefit due to the nature of this particular spell allowing the user to change their selection basically at will. It's the 'Floating Feat' class feature of Chameleon in spell form. If your DM allows the 3.5 version of Persist Spell, then you have the class feature exactly, although some uses are better without that. Most DM's aren't prepared to allow that level of cheese at the user's discretion, so it's a good assumption that you'll only be allowed to cast it once, if that.

It's not just that. It's that Extended Arcana (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/expanded-arcana) is a feat. Which means that with Paragon Surge, your Sorcerer suddenly "knows" every arcane spell in the game.

Killer Angel
2014-05-31, 02:22 AM
Neither of the PF sorcerer guides I've found will even discuss paragon surge. (One mentions that she bans the spell in every game she's in, so there's no point talking about it.)

Dazaras' Quick Guide to Sorcerer Spell Selection, isn't it? :smallwink:
Sadly, my DM was of the same advice, so I'm starting to believe that to ban Paragon Surge, is not an uncommon thing...

Spore
2014-05-31, 04:19 AM
If you are allowed Paragon Surge, the guide goes quickly. Everything you need quickly or on a regular basis, you put on your list. Everything you need once in a while or out of combat, you access via Paragon Surge.

TerrickTerran
2014-05-31, 07:03 AM
Paragon Surge basically removes the need for a guide doesn't it?

GoodbyeSoberDay
2014-05-31, 01:09 PM
It's in the Paragon Surge guide, but it's worth mentioning that Oracle gets both lists. Eldritch Heritage (Arcane) means Paragon Surge can get you any Sor/Wiz spell known on demand by taking Improved Eldritch Heritage and nabbing the New Arcana feature.

As mentioned, grab combat spells as spells known. IME at low levels Pyrotechnics + Bullseye Lantern has replaced Glitterdust as the go-to attack, but it's harder to spam. Create Pit is another good one. In addition you can use a Mnemonic Vestment + Scrolls for niche spells you might need to use in a hurry but might not want as a spell known (PF glitterdust, command undead, etc).

At later levels there's the Dazing Geyser trick. Take Spell Focus Conjuration, Greater Spell Focus Conjuration, Elemental Focus Fire, Greater Elemental Focus Fire, all combined with Persistent Spell, Dazing Spell, and Spell Perfection: Geyser. Enemies have to roll two reflex saves with a DC in the high 30s, take the lower save, or take some damage and be dazed for 5 rounds. Then every round they remain in a large area, they have to keep rolling the save or continue to be dazed for 5 rounds. It works with lots of spells, but Geyser has no SR and deals falling damage on the first blow. You probably only need 5 rounds anyway.

Edit: Oh, and if you missed immediate action "No" to attacks from 3.5, remember to take Emergency Force Sphere (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/e/emergency-force-sphere) as a spell known. It's higher level and less convenient than Wings of Cover, but potentially more robust.