PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Psychic Crusader (3.5; PEACH)

Ralcos
2014-05-30, 01:55 PM
Here's an interesting class idea that I had for a while, but had no idea what to do with it until today (when I got Complete Psionics 3.5).

I have to link it, since I can't make a table for the class at the moment.
Hopefully you'll enjoy it in it's original form and tell me how horrible/fantastic it is, and give advice/criticisms about fleshing it out a bit more.

So, without further ado...
The Psychic Crusader

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130625233713/fairytailfanon/images/4/41/Paladin_druid_knight_by_aphextal-d5ci9o8.jpg
All credit given to artist

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sRGlSvQY44XmpKDmZgn7dueJJih9y7WlR0nvRrTGor4/edit?usp=sharing

EDIT: Major changes were made.

Ralcos
2014-05-30, 01:56 PM
Level, BaB, Fortitude, Reflex, Will, Special

1, 1, 2, 0, 2, Aura, Detect Alignment, Smite, Assume Psionic Mantle

2, 2, 3, 0, 3, Divine Alacrity

3, 3, 3, 1, 3, Divine Health

4, 4, 4, 1, 4, Power of the Divines, Bonus Feat

5, 5, 4, 1, 4, Assume Psionic Mantle

6, 6 / 1, 5, 2, 5, Powerful Mind

7, 7 / 2, 5, 2, 5

8, 8 / 3, 6, 2, 6, Bonus Feat

9, 9 / 4, 6, 3, 6, Greater Smite

10, 10 / 5, 7, 3, 7, Assume Psionic Mantle

11, 11 / 6 / 1, 7, 3, 7

12, 12 / 7 / 2, 8, 4, 8, Faster Manifestations, Bonus Feat

13, 13 / 8 / 3, 8, 4, 8

14, 14 / 9 / 4, 9, 4, 9

15, 15 / 10 / 5, 9, 5, 9, Assume Psionic Mantle

16, 16 / 11 / 6 / 1, 10, 5, 10, Bonus Feat

17, 17 / 12 / 7 / 2, 10, 5, 10

18, 18 / 13 / 8 / 3, 11, 6, 11

19, 19 / 14 / 9 / 4, 11, 6, 11

20, 20 / 15 / 10 / 5, 12, 6, 12, Bonus Feat

Psionic Table coming soon!

Jormengand
2014-06-02, 06:59 AM
So... psychic paladin? Okay, but a few things (in no particular order):

Are "Mantles" like domains? I don't quite understand how they work.
You should totally let them be TN and then smite corner alignments.
Smite opposition deals damage based on your paladin levels; it should read psychic crusader levels. Similarly, the difficulty class is said to be for saving throws against psychic warrior powers.
Simplify the oppositions: if the psychic crusader is LE, make them choose whether to smite chaos or good. It would just make it sooo much simpler.
I'm cool with your psychic crusader being genderfluid, but for the purposes of explaining their class features you should probably stick with one gender.
You should really, really have more class features.

andreichekov
2014-06-02, 12:19 PM
I am going to tell you a secret. Paladins suck. They are awful. So, while this class is slightly better than a paladin, that isn't saying much.

Your psionics level is appropriate for a Gish, well done. We loves it. But you have it based on Wisdom, which is sad. Because it means that this class need Str, Con, Wis and Cha. And would like to have a Dex of 12. :S If you make the psionics Charisma, then you only need 3 stats. (Which is still a lot)

Smite is bad. Just make it smite anything
Smite (Su): A Psychic Crusader can strike creatures with the convictions of his belief. 3 + his Charisma bonus times each day, he may smite an enemy. He makes a melee attack that receives a sacred bonus to attack roll equal to his Charisma bonus, and a sacred bonus to his damage roll equal to his psychic crusader levels. He must declare that he is using smite before attempting an attack. While a psychic crusader can smite anyone, they are unlikely to smite someone they perceive as friendly to their ideals.
At levels 5, 10, and 15 this ability can be used once more each day.

Divine Alacrity is powerful, but not overly so.

Divine health is not powerful, but it is nice. Maybe add poisons as well.

Every dead level is a level that makes people want to multiclass, and I have a few suggestions
At 4th level add Cha to attack and damage rolls. This means that the class can skip on strength, and then it has an appropriate number of ability scores necessary.
At 6th level allow him to expend a use of smite to get bonus power points, and vice versa. Give up a smite use, get pp equal to level. pay pp equal to level, get smite use. Adds versatility and isn't op.
At 9th give greater smite. This deals 1d6 per two levels of psychic crusader instead of 1 per level.

At 11th make all of your manifestations faster. Anything that is a standard action becomes swift.

You can also add bonus feats, be sure to specify whether or not you must meet requirements. And you can always watch movies and read books for cool moves that someone might do.

toapat
2014-06-02, 02:18 PM
Problems:

1: Minimal Class Features. Smite Opposition isnt really improved over Smite Evil in any way
2: Attribute hell
3: Divine health is a weak class feature.
4: No mantles, No Manifestation list.

When compared to the Psychic Warrior: Useless

The idea with a class is to get enough Good class features to keep people in a class for all 20 levels but not enough to stop them from multiclassing. Chekov is wrong in that the Paladin sucks, but he is correct in that the Base, unmodified paladin sucks. This is because the class' class features were not correctly handled at the time. Battleblessing is considered God tier among feats if you are using the Paladin spell list. The horse is the 4th most powerful class feature in the entire game (when applied to something not nearly as crappy as a horse), behind only Wildshape, and full casting or full manifesting.

andreichekov
2014-06-02, 05:09 PM
Problems:
The idea with a class is to get enough Good class features to keep people in a class for all 20 levels but not enough to stop them from multiclassing.
Battleblessing is considered God tier among feats if you are using the Paladin spell list.

Yes.

And, no, Paladin spells suck.

toapat
2014-06-02, 11:43 PM
And, no, Paladin spells suck.

Core paladin spells suck, If you actually look at the list there is a ton of good stuff they added.

Ralcos
2014-06-03, 09:04 AM
I am going to tell you a secret. Paladins suck. They are awful. So, while this class is slightly better than a paladin, that isn't saying much.

Your psionics level is appropriate for a Gish, well done. We loves it. But you have it based on Wisdom, which is sad. Because it means that this class need Str, Con, Wis and Cha. And would like to have a Dex of 12. :S If you make the psionics Charisma, then you only need 3 stats. (Which is still a lot)

Smite is bad. Just make it smite anything
Smite (Su): A Psychic Crusader can strike creatures with the convictions of his belief. 3 + his Charisma bonus times each day, he may smite an enemy. He makes a melee attack that receives a sacred bonus to attack roll equal to his Charisma bonus, and a sacred bonus to his damage roll equal to his psychic crusader levels. He must declare that he is using smite before attempting an attack. While a psychic crusader can smite anyone, they are unlikely to smite someone they perceive as friendly to their ideals.
At levels 5, 10, and 15 this ability can be used once more each day.

Divine Alacrity is powerful, but not overly so.

Divine health is not powerful, but it is nice. Maybe add poisons as well.

Every dead level is a level that makes people want to multiclass, and I have a few suggestions
At 4th level add Cha to attack and damage rolls. This means that the class can skip on strength, and then it has an appropriate number of ability scores necessary.
At 6th level allow him to expend a use of smite to get bonus power points, and vice versa. Give up a smite use, get pp equal to level. pay pp equal to level, get smite use. Adds versatility and isn't op.
At 9th give greater smite. This deals 1d6 per two levels of psychic crusader instead of 1 per level.

At 11th make all of your manifestations faster. Anything that is a standard action becomes swift.

You can also add bonus feats, be sure to specify whether or not you must meet requirements. And you can always watch movies and read books for cool moves that someone might do.

These are actually pretty good suggestions! Thanks!
I'll apply them, as well as explain what mantles are available to the Psychic Crusader and make corrections to the document before posting the information and table.