PDA

View Full Version : Favored Soul of Bahamut variant?

Khellen
2014-05-30, 04:49 PM
Ok, so I am working with one on an idea for a variant of the Favored Soul of Bahamut from the Dragon Magic book. I was thinking of giving wings earlier, no earlier than 7th and no later than 10th was what I was thinking.

I was also considering given access to domains, probably only 1, possibly a second at later levels. The character would still have to take the domain spells at level ups, not free.

In exchange, I was going to remove energy resistance andd reduce at least one saving throw, though advice on which would be appreciated.

Anyone have opinions on if that is too powerful, still balanced, and thoughts or opinions?

Also if a character gains Glory domains but doesn't have turn undead would this grant turning?

Agincourt
2014-05-30, 05:25 PM
It really depends on what you want to balance the Favored Soul against. If you are trying to raise the Favored Soul up the the level of a cleric, you could give it wings earlier and give access to domain spells, remove nothing, and still have it be less powerful than the Cleric.

On the other hand, if you're trying to keep the Favored Soul at the same tier, then you may be giving them an ever so slight bump in power, but they will still be tier 2. The addition of the ability to fly earlier means the FS does not have to use a precious spell known to gain flight, but that's offset by the occasional damage he will take from energy. Having a slightly bigger spell list via domain spells is a little bit better than having one of the saves reduced.

TheTeaMustFlow
2014-05-30, 05:29 PM
If you're going to reduce a saving throw, reflex would be the logical choice - dragons are known for many things, but agility is not among them.

Khellen
2014-06-04, 03:03 PM
Thank you both for the advice. I really appreciate it.