PDA

View Full Version : DM Trapped me...help?

Dalasio
2014-05-31, 01:52 AM
Soo. In our last game the DM had two of the players thrown in a jail with nigh indestructible cages and I'm looking for a way to break them. Absolutely nothing I have works, so I just gave up and accepted my fate of being executed on the next day. I know that he's going to put me into shackles that stop my magic and are impossible to get out of, since that's how he got me into the jail in the first place.

I'm currently a Fighter 4/ Healing Hymn Fey Bard 1

Any ideas playground?...

Bullet06320
2014-05-31, 01:58 AM
what spells are available to you?

what is your strength score? have you tried a strength check to bend the bars to allow escape?

open lock/disable device options?

are in a cell by your self or with others?

diplomacy/bluff the guards?

what about the rest of the party

I highly doubt the DM will have your character executed, im sure some opportunity will present itself

Sir Chuckles
2014-05-31, 01:59 AM
Escape Artist and Open Lock are the first two that come to mind.
You're going to have to be more descriptive than "cage".

If you can't break it, bend it. Handcuffs? You mean free garrote?

Epsilon Rose
2014-05-31, 02:00 AM
If you're part bard, can you diplomacy a guard?

Basically, if you can't get out of your situation yourself, use guile, graft, and greed to get someone else to do it for you. A favor from a level 5 character could go a long way for a normal guard.

aleucard
2014-05-31, 02:01 AM
Why in the name of Bea Arthur is he pulling this crap on you in the first place? Unless if this is some sort of setup for the campaign, executing someone at random without good reason (since you've given no background whatsoever, I'll assume that you're not Evil, nor have you committed an Evil act) is NOT something a good DM does. From what little you gave us, this looks more like an OOC problem to me. Ask him why he's killing off your toon at random. Don't bother trying to prevent it, you don't have the resources to do anything noticeable yet and if he's wanting to kill you, he can just have a Tarrasque sit on you or something.

Killer Angel
2014-05-31, 02:13 AM
If you're part bard, can you diplomacy a guard?

Basically, if you can't get out of your situation yourself, use guile, graft, and greed to get someone else to do it for you. A favor from a level 5 character could go a long way for a normal guard.

yep. Adventurers are RICH! Everybody knows it. To bribe the guard is a possible solution, but that said, aleucard's question about the possible OOC problem, is the first one to be solved.

Dalasio
2014-05-31, 02:33 AM
I don't think it's anything OOC...But I'm not sure. And as to why I'm here, my friend tried to steal from a noble and the guards tried to take her away, so I drew my weapons and all of a sudden more guards are on top of me. It was very odd.

I have no spells today because apparently I spent the entire night trying to break the dog kennel like cage (I'm a halfling so a larger one wouldn't work) And the guards are orcs, so diplomacy isn't working.

I also don't have thieving tools, so no lockpicking for me.

Bullet06320
2014-05-31, 02:41 AM
improvised lock picks -2 to open lock, if u can find sumthing to use, a piece of wire, or a nail, then hope to get very lucky

and just because the guards are orcs, doesn't mean diplomacy wont work, if your not allowed to try, its a mean DM

Sir Chuckles
2014-05-31, 02:44 AM
"Attempting an Open Lock check without a set of thieves’ tools imposes a -2 circumstance penalty on the check..."
No need for a set of tools, just take the -2.
As long a the Orcs can understand you, you can make the Diplomacy check. You could also make a Bluff check, combine with Sleight of Hand to pick pocket.
Better yet, sing to them. Annoyingly. Until they inevitably walk toward you and then you grab their stuff. Even if it's not the key, you can find something.

How open are the bars below you? How heavy is the cage? Is is locked down?
Because I just had the idea of a Halfling in a dog cage sticking his legs out the bottom and run away.

Bullet06320
2014-05-31, 02:48 AM
How open are the bars below you? How heavy is the cage? Is is locked down?
Because I just had the idea of a Halfling in a dog cage sticking his legs out the bottom and run away.

LOL, that's an awsume idea, or possibly causing the cage to tip on its side and "roll" away, one side flip at a time, if your lucky actually damaging the cage in the process to get out

Sian
2014-05-31, 02:50 AM
I don't think it's anything OOC...But I'm not sure. And as to why I'm here, my friend tried to steal from a noble and the guards tried to take her away, so I drew my weapons and all of a sudden more guards are on top of me.

The doings of those nobles' Guards :smallsigh: arresting innocent thiefs trying to steal from a noble, also arresting someone threatening them with weapons trying to spring someone, what have the world come to ...

Epsilon Rose
2014-05-31, 02:51 AM
I have no spells today because apparently I spent the entire night trying to break the dog kennel like cage.

Why would a character with magic forgo a nights rest in order to try and brute force their way out of a cage after the first 30min of it not working? That seems like a somewhat unreasonable judgement.

Sir Chuckles
2014-05-31, 02:57 AM
Why would a character with magic forgo a nights rest in order to try and brute force their way out of a cage after the first 30min of it not working? That seems like a somewhat unreasonable judgement.

I also don't like the fact that the DM told him what he does, a cardinal sin of DMing.
But, we also should work without parameters, and leave that alone.

Reminds me of the time I kept a Mystic Theurge from preparing by having his Yuan-Ti captors one man band every hour.

Erik Vale
2014-05-31, 03:05 AM
I don't think it's anything OOC...But I'm not sure. And as to why I'm here, my friend tried to steal from a noble and the guards tried to take her away, so I drew my weapons and all of a sudden more guards are on top of me. It was very odd.

*Adds to stupid deaths list*

What you do is pray, and bribe the DM for your character to live, somehow. Possibly under Gaes.

The Grue
2014-05-31, 03:33 AM
I have no spells today because apparently I spent the entire night trying to break the dog kennel like cage

Did you actually, or did the DM tell you that's what you did?

If the latter, my response would be "Actually no, I spent the night resting and please don't tell me what my character does."

To be frank this sounds like a terrible DM. You may want to consider employing the Rule of Feet.

Killer Angel
2014-05-31, 03:47 AM

I have no spells today because apparently I spent the entire night trying to break the dog kennel like cage (I'm a halfling so a larger one wouldn't work) And the guards are orcs, so diplomacy isn't working.

Then it is OOC.
All those things don't make sense (suddenly is full of guards! and lockpick and diplomacy work), and the DM telling you how your character spent the night, is just plainly terrible. Talk with him.

Inevitability
2014-05-31, 04:05 AM
If you are a fey bard, you should have an Animal Companion. Did that one get thrown into jail too?

qwertyu63
2014-05-31, 07:32 AM
Soo. In our last game the DM had two of the players thrown in a jail with nigh indestructible cages and I'm looking for a way to break them. Absolutely nothing I have works, so I just gave up and accepted my fate of being executed on the next day. I know that he's going to put me into shackles that stop my magic and are impossible to get out of, since that's how he got me into the jail in the first place.

I'm currently a Fighter 4/ Healing Hymn Fey Bard 1

Any ideas playground?...

It sounds like its time to invoke rule 0.1: The player always has the right to quit playing.

Blackhawk748
2014-05-31, 09:23 AM
If your animal companion isnt there, do the ritual to get it, its free IIRC it just takes time. Then your new animal buddy can gnaw on a few guards and get you out. And if that doesnt work, apply Rule of Feet

HalfQuart
2014-05-31, 10:31 AM
It sounds to me like your DM is just railroading you into an adventure, which of course is really annoying, and is generally indicative of either an inexperienced or lazy DM. So keep trying to do stuff to get out, but don't freak out until your character is actually executed... odds are you'll get railroaded into an escape plan before that.

Amphetryon
2014-05-31, 11:50 AM

Ask your DM, politely and without rancor, if it would be easier for everyone if you just rolled up a new Character. The input you've given so far indicates to me that the Character has been removed from the realm of 'protagonist' into the realm of 'DM's play toy.' Since your Character has apparently been taken away from you, ask if you may have another.