PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Dread Pirate Build help (3.5e)

RedMage125
2014-05-31, 02:12 AM
A buddy of mine is going to be running a 3.5e game soon, and while he lives too far away for me to commute to join the game regularly, I'll be there for the first session. So in lieu of making my own character, he's having me make one of the more prominent NPCs.

Basically he told me to make a pirate captain that's going to be an ally of the PCs. 14th level.

I took a look at the Dread Pirate PrC, and I liked what I saw. I kind of liked the idea of making a dishonorable one, who crafted a fearsome reuptation, but was not truly evil (kind of like the Dread Pirate Roberts, or, more aptly, Captain Shakespeare in the movie Stardust), but I think I like the honorable one's class abilities too much.

To that end, I'm thinking about a Bard 4/Fighter 1/Dread Pirate 9

The Dread Pirate's Rally the Crew explicitly stacks with Bard's Inspire Courage (and the wording of it makes me believe that the RtC ability bonuses get added when he uses his bard ability as well).

I'm thinking either human or half-elf. Half-elf would namely be for flavor, but the racial bonus to Diplomacy never hurt. This is going to be a largely charismatic character. I get to equip him like a 14th level PC, too.

The DM was suggesting Marshall instead of Bard, which would be an interesting concept, but Marshalls suck, IMHO.

Was wondering if there was any build advice? Especially feats, aside from Quick Draw and Weapon Finesse, which he is going to need. Not too focused on spellcasting, largely a social character with melee combat and ally-boosting. I know this DM allows spells from the Spell Compendium, as well.

Oh, and it's largely for giggles, because I imagine him as a very "Jack Sparrow" kind of personality, but I'm thinking of making his Bardic Perfomance skill Perform (Comedy), that or (Oratory). Basically, he cracks witty jokes and repartee that bolster the morale of his crew.

Either Chaotic Good or Chaotic Neutral in alignment (if that matters, doubt it will). And he's using rolled stats. I've got some dice that roll well, and this DM's got some very lenient rules regarding re-rolling, so I expect this character could even stand some MAD requirements.

Mainly looking for help with feats and spells known. I know his skills will need the minimum in Appraise, he'll probably continue ranks in Swim and Profession (sailor), as that is used to steer a ship. Maybe continued ranks in Use Rope, but more likely focused on ranks in Diplomacy, UMD, Tumble, and maybe a few ranks in Jump, and Balance. This character will, after all, be built for fighting on a ship at sea.

I've got a PDF of Stormwrack, but never really perused it thoroughly. Will it help?

Juntao112
2014-05-31, 04:29 AM
How's this? (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?327699-Shiver-Me-Timbers-It-s-Black-Jack-Wellesley!)

Sian
2014-05-31, 04:57 AM
IMO Scarlet Corsair in Stormwreck is a (somewhat) stronger pick than Dread Pirate, and fits many/all of the same themes ... prehaps some Swashbuckler as base for free Weapon Finesse and Int to Damage?

Amphetryon
2014-05-31, 05:29 AM
Dread Pirate was featured in an Iron Chef round (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?190607-Iron-Chef-Optimization-Challenge-in-the-Playground-XIX/page4).

pilvento
2014-05-31, 09:23 AM
If you want to take a full combat aproach then make him Scarlet Corsair. If you want him to buff then stay as a honorable Dread Pirate, I like the second idea more if he is goign to remain as an ally and a captain.

Read the build Juntao posted, or at least use the most common tricks like song of the heart and the badge of valor.

If you must stick to a lvl 14 build, then Bard4/Marshal1/DreadPirate9 is your best call. Fight to the death kicks ass.

RedMage125
2014-05-31, 10:39 AM
If you want to take a full combat aproach then make him Scarlet Corsair. If you want him to buff then stay as a honorable Dread Pirate, I like the second idea more if he is goign to remain as an ally and a captain.

Read the build Juntao posted, or at least use the most common tricks like song of the heart and the badge of valor.

If you must stick to a lvl 14 build, then Bard4/Marshal1/DreadPirate9 is your best call. Fight to the death kicks ass.

I think I'll stick with the Dread Pirate.

And the build links helped a lot, guys, thanks.

Btw, I can't do Bard 4/Marshall 1/Dread Pirate 9, because Marshalls have the same BAB progression as a bard, so that won't give me the +4 I need for the PrC, which was initially the only reason for Fighter, lol. I may switch it to Swashbuckler, though. Was gonna spend the feat on Weapon Finesse, anyway, and Swashbuckler has a better skill list, and more skill points.

Edit: Although...using fractional BAB progression, I can do Bard 3/Marshal 1/Swashbuckler 1/Dread Pirate 9. That way I get the Marshal's abilty to add CHA modifier to allies DEX checks. And Skill Focus: Diplomacy for free. All I lose is 2nd level Bard spells, and spellcasting wasn't a big priority anyway.

RedMage125
2014-05-31, 03:34 PM
Ok, here's what I've got:

Like I said, DM is ridiculously leient when it comes to rolling stats (4d6 drop lowest, but re-roll 1s; and then re-roll your lowest stat after rolling all 6). I ended up with 17, 16, 16, 15, 15, 14

STR 14
DEX 16 (20 after gloves)
CON 15
INT 16
WIS 15
CHA 17 (24 after level bonuses and cloak)

Captain "Mako" Taven; Bard 3/Marshal 1/Swashbuckler 1/Dread Pirate 9

AC: 25, touch: 17, ff: 20

Initiative: +14

Speed: 40 ft.

HP: 113

Attack:
+2 Keen Rapier - +20/+15/+5, 1d6+4 (15-20/x2); if he moves more than 10 ft before he attacks he gets +22, 1d6+9 (15-20/x2)

When 2-weapon Fighting - +18/+13/+8 and off hand +16, 1d4+1 (18-20/x2)

Offhand weapon is a +2 Defending Kukri, with +2 always added to his defense.

Saves:
Fort: +10
Reflex: +14
Will: +10

Skills: (ranks), total modifier. Skills with a *, he can take 10 on at all times
Appraise: (8) 11
Balance: (16) 37*
Bluff: (8) 18
Climb: (0) 11*
Concentration: (0) 2 - He can use Perform to cast defensively
Diplomacy: (17) 45
Disguise: (0) 12
Escape Artist: (5) 17
Gather Information: (0) 10
Intimidate: (8) 20
Jump: (5) 7*
Listen: (2) 5
Perform (Comedy): (17) 32
Perform (Dance): (5) 20
Profession (Sailor): (14) 25
Sense Motive: (5) 7
Spellcraft: (4) 7
Spot: (2) 5
Swim: (8) 10
Tumble: (10) 27*
UMD: (8) 18
Use Rope: (5) 19

Feats:
Melodic Casting (use Perform instead of Concentration)
B-Skill Focus:Perform
Quick Draw
B-Weapon Finesse
Song of the Heart (add +1 to bonuses from Bard abilities)
B-Two Weapon Fighting
Lingering Song (Effects of bard song end 1 minute after he stops "playing")
Combat Panache (tactical feat, from PHB2), may change this to Leadership, and have combat-oriented (or caster) cohort.

Minor Aura: Motivate Dexterity

Bard Spells Known:
0-level 3/day
Minor Disguise
Know Direction (handy when you're at sea)
Mage Hand
Mending
Prestidigitation
Detect Magic
1st level - 3/day
Inspirational Boost (Swift, add +1 to bardic music ability used this round)
Improvisation (Standard, get 6 "luck points, can be added to any check in the next 3 rounds)
Swift Invisibility (useful "oh crap" button)

Equipment: (source)
Celestial Armor (DMG)
+2 Keen Rapier (DMG)
+2 Defending Kukri (DMG)
Slippers of Battle Dancing (DMG2)
Vest of Legends (DMG2)
Badge of Valor (MIC)
Cloak of Charisma +4 (DMG)
Gloves of Dexterity +4 (DMG)
Circlet of Persuasion (DMG)
Corsair's Eyepatch (MIC)

Gold remaining: 328 gp