PDA

View Full Version : Optimization RKV race, template, and build help

RhoTheWanderer
2014-05-31, 04:40 AM
So here's my situation: There's a guy in my group who manages to optimize his characters above and beyond what the other guys and myself can usually keep up with (He generally plays wizards to their full potential and may occasionally use some cheese combined w/ a bit of out of character knowledge). This time, he's really outdone himself, so I've decided to seek outside help in building my character. I recently read through ToB:Bo9S and liked some of what I saw; furthermore, I've heard Ruby Knight Vindicator is good, so I thought I'd try it out.
Here's the build I have so far: Clr4/Crusader1/Prestige Paladin1/Church Inquisitor1/RKV10 (perhaps staggered with 2 lvls of Contemplative[CDiv31], 2 lvls Divine Oracle[CDiv35], another lvl of CI[CDiv26], or something else.) I'll pick up Mounted combat at 1st,3rd, or from a flaw to meet prereq's for PrC Pal, and possibly Martial Study or something else to get hide as a class skill to qualify for RKV. I'll pick up Battle Blessing (CDiv55) at lvl6 to make most of the spells from the Pal list swift actions. Beyond that, I'm not sure; however, a spiked chain and thicket of blades are good possibilities, as well as a Healing Belt (MiC110).
Domains: Magic & Mind. I Will trade the Inquisition Domain from C.I. for Knowledge Devotion.
Here are the rules: All 3.5e WotC books allowed (3.0 is also allowed if an updated version doesn't exist). Free +2LA to spend on races and/or templates, and any extra LA can be bought off via the UA LA buy-off rules. Starting at 7500xp (4th lvl) with 5400gp. Flaws allowed (limited to a max of 2). All PCs MUST be of good-alignment The stats I rolled are: 15, 14, 14, 12, 10, 8.
Character Concept: LG servant of Wee Jas (Think Paladin, but with a fondness for magic in general, and, while he frowns on disturbing the dead, he's willing to tolerate mindless undead [so long as they're kept on a tight leash and don't require souls/flesh/blood/ect.]) I want to keep full spellcasting, but I want to be moderately tough and competent in melee so I have something to fall back on if I run low on spells (plus some lockdown/crackdown abilities might help me help the optimizer really bring the pain down upon our enemies). I especially need help with my race/template choices as I really have no idea what to go with and I know that RKV is a very MAD PrC.

Gildedragon
2014-05-31, 10:56 AM
Tough cookies man? Tried talking with your playmate?
Primordial half ogre half minotaur athasian human has an LA of 2, though wisdom is not stellar. Dynamic priest helps make you SADer on Charisma for casting.

Tossing in corpsecrafted Necropolitan could be handy... Flavorful at the least

RhoTheWanderer
2014-06-02, 04:47 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for your help. While I had heard of the Academic Priest feat, I had no idea that the Dynamic Priest feat even existed! (Between that and a few other things, I think I might be able to improve some of the party-buffing cleric concepts I've been contemplating lately:smallbiggrin:.) Regarding my group sitting down and having "the talk" with our buddy; we've talked about it from time to time, but we have yet to "man-up" and tell him how we feel. I suspect it'll occur within a month, and it should hopefully turn out fine. He's not a bad guy, he just had a few too many bad experiences with an antagonistic DM a number of years ago.