PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class [3.5 PrC] The Spellchain Mage (please PEACH)

Southern Cross
2014-05-31, 04:41 AM
Introduction: I've seen prestige classes built around a metamagic feat before. I thought it would be a good idea to build a prestige class around the Chain Spell feat. So here is the spellchain mage!
Hit die
d4.

Requirements
To qualify to become a spellchain mage, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.

Skills
Knowledge (arcana) 13, Spellcraft 13.

Feats
Chain Spell and at least two other metamagic feats.

Spellcasting
Ability to cast 5th-level arcane spells.

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special
Spells

1st
+0

+0
+0

+2
Spontaneous Chaining, Stronger Chains (I)
+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd
+1

+0
+0

+3Modified Chains (I)

3rd
+1

+1
+1

+3Stronger Chains (II)

4th
+2

+1
+1

+Modified Chains (II)

5th
+2

+1
+1

+4Stronger Chains (III)

Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level): Bluff, Concentration, Decipher Script, Intimidate, Knowledge (all skills, taken individually), Profession, Search, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Spot

Class Features
All of the following are Class Features of the spellchain mage prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Spellchain mages gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor. Some spellchain mages are proficient with chain weapons, but this is not necessary, as the name refers to their mastery of the Chain Spell metamagic feat, not to any sort of chain weapon.

Spellcasting
At every level, a spellchain mage gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in whatever spellcasting class to which she belonged before she added the prestige class level. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If she had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a spellchain mage, she must decide to which class she adds each level for the purpose of determining spells per day and spells known.

Spontaneous Chaining (Ex)
A spellchain mage can channel stored spell energy into Chain spells that the spellchain mage did not prepare ahead of time. For game purposes Chain spells are spells with the Chain Spell metamagic feat applied to them, or spells that were designed to attack multiple targets in sequence using the same mechanic as the above feat (most notably the Chain Lightning spell). The spellchain mage can “lose” any prepared spell that is not a domain spell in order to cast any Chain spell of the same spell level or lower that is in his/her spellbook, on his/her list of spells known, or with which he/she is familiar through Spell Mastery. Spellcasters that already cast spontaneously can apply the Chain Spell feat to their spells without increasing casting time. This ability may only be used once per day per class level.

Stronger Chains (Ex)
Starting at 1st level, a spellchain mage adds +1 level to the effective level of a spell with the Chain spell feat applied ( but not Chain Lightning and similar spells), as if the spell had one level of Heighten Spell applied to it, but without the level modifier. The chain mage gains another +1 to the effective level at 3rd level, and the total bonus rises to +3 at 5th level.

Modified Chains (Ex)
Starting at 2nd level, a spellchain mage may reduce the level modifier from a particular metamagic feat (excluding Chain Spell) by one level (to a minimum of a +0 modifier). At 4th level, the spellchain mage may apply a further -1 level, either to the same metamagic feat (if the original modifier was +2 levels or higher), or to a separate metamagic feat. This ability only applies to spells that are affected by the Chain Spell metamagic feat.

JeminiZero
2014-05-31, 07:48 AM
And I am reminded of the Chain Magic Jar trick.

Well, at first glance, this typo stands out.

Some chain mages are proficeint with chain weapons

As well as this mistaken capitalization.

AT 4th level, the chain mage may apply a further -1 level

Spontaneous Chaining (Ex)
A chain mage can channel stored spell energy into Chain spells that the chain mage did not prepare ahead of time. For game purposes Chain spells are spells such as Chain Lightning, as well as any spell with the Chain Spell metamagic feat applied to it.
You might want to clarify what exactly counts as a Chain spell for this ability. Presumably Chain Missile [SpC] would count. But how about the following:
-Chain of Eyes [SpC]
-Wall of Chains [BoVD]
-Howling Chain [SpC]
-Using Summon Monster 6 to summon a Chain Devil

The chain mage can “lose” any prepared spell that is not a domain spell in order to cast any Chain spell of the same spell level that is in his/her spellbook, memorized with Spell Mastery, or list of spells known.
I would say "same spell level or lower that is...".

Also "memorized with Spell Mastery" might be better phrased as "with which he/she is familiar through Spell Mastery". Memorized implies he must have the spell prepared (i.e. memorized).

So maybe something like this: The chain mage can “lose” any prepared spell that is not a domain spell in order to cast any Chain spell of the same spell level or lower that is in his/her spellbook, on his/her list of spells known, or with which he/she is familiar through Spell Mastery.

Spellcasters that already cast spontaneously can add the Chain Spell feat to their spells without increasing casting time.
I would rephrase it to "Spellcasters that already cast spontaneously can apply the Chain Spell feat to their spells".

Inevitability
2014-05-31, 11:03 AM
This isn't really PEACHing, but I just have to say it.

Did anyone else think of a wizard wielding a spiked chain when they saw the name of this class?

Southern Cross
2014-05-31, 10:59 PM
Thanks, JeminiZero for your help.
And Dire_Stirge, yes it does to me too, but I couldn't think of a better name for the prestige class.

andreichekov
2014-06-01, 12:59 PM
And Dire_Stirge, yes it does to me too, but I couldn't think of a better name for the prestige class.

How about Chain-spell Master/Mage

Apart from the few typos, and some things that aren't clear, and were already pointed out, this class is a solid simple design, that does exactly what it says it does.

Inevitability
2014-06-01, 02:35 PM
Spell-link mage? Or maybe spellchain mage?

Adam1949
2014-06-01, 03:39 PM
After a while Chain stops looking like a real word.

Zale
2014-06-01, 06:14 PM
So, they can spontaneously cast any spell so long as they have the Chain metamagic applied to it?

Qwertystop
2014-06-01, 06:20 PM
I'd define Chain spells as spells that have multiple targets affected in sequence.

Zale
2014-06-01, 06:35 PM
I'd define Chain spells as spells that have multiple targets affected in sequence.

Yeah, but the class feature says:

For game purposes Chain spells are spells with the Chain Spell metamagic feat applied to them, or spells that were designed to attack multiple targets using the same mechanic (most notably the Chain Lightning spell).

Qwertystop
2014-06-01, 06:45 PM
Yeah, but the class feature says:

For game purposes Chain spells are spells with the Chain Spell metamagic feat applied to them, or spells that were designed to attack multiple targets using the same mechanic (most notably the Chain Lightning spell).

Yes, and that's an odd definition, because it includes all AOE spells that attack (Fireball, Cone of Cold), as well as all spells with multiple simultaneous or separate targetings (Scorching Ray, Chill Touch).

My definition removes two of those, and I'm sure a bit of rewording to emphasize that each target's eligibility is based on the previous target can deal with number three.

Southern Cross
2014-06-02, 09:12 PM
Yes, and that's an odd definition, because it includes all AOE spells that attack (Fireball, Cone of Cold), as well as all spells with multiple simultaneous or separate targetings (Scorching Ray, Chill Touch).

My definition removes two of those, and I'm sure a bit of rewording to emphasize that each target's eligibility is based on the previous target can deal with number three.

Not so odd Qwertystop. The key phrase is the same mechanic (as the Chain Spell metamagic feat, natch). I've renamed the prestige class (to spellchain mage) and rewrote the class ability for clarification.

Qwertystop
2014-06-02, 10:22 PM
Not so odd Qwertystop. The key phrase is the same mechanic (as the Chain Spell metamagic feat, natch). I've renamed the prestige class (to spellchain mage) and rewrote the class ability for clarification.

Ah. Good point.

jiriku
2014-06-03, 02:14 AM
I'm a little nervous about spontaneous chaining coming at 1st level. For a one-level dip, a wizard can get a huge boost in flexibility with no lost power and only invests in three metamagic feats that he probably wanted to take anyhow. That is maybe too good for a one-level dip. OTOH the 2nd level ability is really good too, so moving spontaneous chaining back there might just tempt players to take 2 levels and run. Dunno.

Southern Cross
2014-06-11, 04:57 PM
Jiriku, I've altered the spontaneous chaining ability so the caster only gets one use per day of spontaneous chaining at 1st level, and gets an additional use at each class level. Does that help?