PDA

View Full Version : Acid Damage + Sunder

CAHaugen
2014-05-31, 05:57 AM
Simple question: There is a weapon enchantment called "Corrosive" that deals 1d6 acid damage upon a successful hit.

If you had a weapon that had this enchantment, and you attempted to sunder something with it, does the acid damage apply to the sundered item?

For instance, let's say I put it on a Bec de Corbin. Say I'm against Zork the Barbarian and he has ... screw it, he has a scythe because that's just obnoxiously awesome, and I go to sunder his scythe, do I deal 1d10 sunder damage from the BdC, as well as the 1d6 acid damage?

Follow up: Would the same idea apply to fire damage, cold damage, electric damage?

We've come to the conclusion that no, it would not, since generally speaking this won't really change the physical characteristics of the scythe, however the acid would arguably react with the metal / wood, which is why we are wondering if it is in fact applied?

CAHaugen
2014-05-31, 06:04 AM
I do know of the enchantment Rusting, which on each successful hit the armor takes a -1 penalty to it's armor bonus. But shields must be struck first (Generally). So if a knight has a shield with +3 AC and is wearing armor that has +7 AC, after three hits their shield crumbles and is no longer able to be used, and after another seven hits the armor crumbles and they are exposed.

I do like the idea, but I feel it takes a long time to really use. By that time the opponent should probably already be defeated, or close to it, I'd assume. While it's a great thought, we felt that the acid would do it quicker, but we weren't sure.

Inevitability
2014-05-31, 07:48 AM
Why is this in the homebrew forums? Shouldn't it be in the 3.5/pathfinder forums, or even just in the 'ask a simple question' thread?

Glimbur
2014-05-31, 11:05 AM
Check out the section of the SRD on hardness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/exploration.htm#hardness). Then you get into the debate about whether
Whenever an object takes damage, subtract its hardness from the damage or
Acid and sonic attacks deal damage to most objects just as they do to creatures; roll damage and apply it normally after a successful hit. rules; meaning whether or not you subtract the hardness value from the acid damage. A hafted weapon has 5 hardness and an all-metal weapon has 10 hardness, so if you do subtract the hardness from acid damage then the weapon enchantment is basically useless as a sunder aid.

From the hardness section, any weapon enchantment but acid or sonic is definitely useless for destroying weapons because other energy damage types are divided by 2 (or more) and then reduced by the hardness value.

CAHaugen
2014-05-31, 05:47 PM
Why is this in the homebrew forums? Shouldn't it be in the 3.5/pathfinder forums, or even just in the 'ask a simple question' thread?

Sorry, I actually thought I clicked the right icon. It's been extremely stressful at my house and my mind's been in a haze for a few days now, trying to adjust to the new problems.

Thank God for D&D. It's literally the only thing I can zone out on.

CAHaugen
2014-05-31, 05:49 PM
From the hardness section, any weapon enchantment but acid or sonic is definitely useless for destroying weapons because other energy damage types are divided by 2 (or more) and then reduced by the hardness value.

Right, that makes sense. I see now that while Acid and Sonic would cause damage, if you must subtract say a value of 10 from a 1d6 roll, mathematically speaking you'd cause no damage. It'd have to be a combination of Corrosive and Corrosive Burst for a total of 3d6 (Assuming you landed a Critical), with hopefully high enough rolls to get over 10, so that when you subtract the Hardness, you actually have a positive value to deduct.

Thanks for the link. Really cleared things up.