PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] My campaign timeskipped 2 years and I've earned a bunch of money, help me buy.

Porcelain Cow
2014-05-31, 09:09 AM
So, I'm playing a 3.5 campaign, all-evil characters in a war setting (as in, Heroes of Battle), with the war phase about to really get going.

My character is a NE, trending LE Binder/Knight of the Sacred Seal, with Balam as his patron vestige. Previously physically weak I've had to step in for all the beefy melee guys that have left us, having pretty much been thrown 2 pretty large, item-shaped bones by the DM to make up for my originally not-at-all suitable for tanking physical stats.

We are left with me, a Gnome Shadowcraft Mage, an Archivist/Malconvoker, an Assassin, my Chain Devil Cohort and the Assassin's Dragonfire Adept cohort.

My non-Binding related feats are Weapon Focus (Lance), Leadership and recently Power Attack.

Due to leadership I've come into a lot of money during this timeskip due to my followers working. I've also come to be the general commanding a rather large army with a variety of perks, such as two Erinyes serving as my left and right hands and a nice skeletal Warbeast to ride on.

I have 77k available to buy whatever I want right now, but I don't really know what to go for, so I need your help guys.

What I have so far:
Demon Armor (see SRD: Specific Armors), essentially a +4 full plate with built-in (but unupgradable) +1 claws that inflict contagion.
A Mask of Mastery (MIC 193). Previously having owned more set pieces they have been discarded in favor of newer items.
A Healing Belt
An Amulet of Health +2
A Cloak of Charisma +4 and Resistance +1 (as per MIC rules)
A Masterwork Longbow (meh)
A +1 Charging Lance
A Masterwork Rapier (for DEX vestiges)
A +1 Heavy Mithral Shield
A Banner of Evil (HoB) attached to the lance
A Lesser (not least!) Crystal of Return attached to the Lance (I drop it to use the claws when I engage in non-horseback combat)
A Skeletal Warbeast mount
and last but not least: The Iron Gauntlet of War (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/artifacts.htm#ironGauntletofWar)

My own thoughts on what to buy are:

Yes:
Upgrade to CON amulet
Belt of Battle
A Horn of Rallying (for the Army)
Ring of Deflection +x
Ring of Mind Shield (mainly out of circumstance)
Dodge AC Boots
More +saves on cloak

No:
Even more Charisma on cloak (for now)
A Heraldric crest (From Heroes of Battle): As a Knight of the Sacred Seal I am forced to take Balam's sign as my crest, and I asked the DM to rule what it is. He determined it is a Crest of Ferocity, which is fairly useless to me.

What I need help with specifically:

1. What should I further enchant the Lance with? I often bind Andras, which helps horseback, charging and smiting immensely.

2. I cannot enchant the Demon Armor's claws, should I bother to get a different melee weapon? If so, what kind? Or is it too much hassle to keep switching weapons?

3. What enchants should go on my shield? Animated is always tempting, but as I cannot enchant my Armor at all I need to cover crucial enchantments on the Shield. Soulfire was an idea, but all the nasty stuff that drains and uses negative energy works for ME. I'm facing Humanoids, Monstrous Humanoids, some guys with celestial backup and maybe dragons.

4. What's a good way to let me communicate efficiently across distances and with large amounts of people (i.e. with my troops on the battlefield) that I can purchase? So far the Erinyes (Flight, Telepathy & Greater Teleport at will) are the ones to handle battlefield comms.

5. What Crystals should I consider for Weapons, Armor and Shield? I generally like the easily retrievable Lance from the crystal, but the Armor, being equivalent to +4, can actually hold Greater Crystals.

6. Any amazing Wondrous items or the like I am forgetting.

7. Anything to help my mount. I'm sure there's some worthwhile horseshoes or bridles out there that could help even something like a Skeletal Warbeast.

8. Any odd bits of gear that might be great for a Chain Devil. I enjoy being generous to my Cohort, and even though he is a talented blacksmith he didn't earn nearly as much money. He has a Cloak of Resistance +2, a Healing Belt and a Ring of Deflection +1, aswell as ownership over a Cauldron of Zombie Spewing (BoVD) to create our zombie platoon.

I'm looking for opinion on most of all this stuff, aswell as if anyone has great advice about large-scale battle and war gameplay in general I'm always glad to hear it.

Thanks.