PDA

View Full Version : Wand shooter

Renen
2014-05-31, 10:03 AM
How many times can one shoot wands per round? So far im up to 4 with an artificer.
any way to get more shots?
(Dualwielding wands feat to shoot with eachhand)
(Feat to shoot as swift action)
(Artificer using metamagic (and eatich up 4 charges) to cast as free)

nedz
2014-05-31, 02:14 PM
This is all about action economy abuse.
With the aid of a Druid/Planar Shepherd with the Time dilation Planar Bubble your Artificer above could do 40 per round.
Combined with 10 castings of Timestop then this can be bumped considerable higher: 10x(3+(d4+1)) = 40+10d4

Renen
2014-05-31, 04:51 PM
I want to know per round usage.
And not "my time" round.
In other words time stopping shenanigans arent hard or obscure, so I know how to do them.

andromax
2014-05-31, 05:12 PM
A feat in Magic of Eberron called Prophecy's Artifex lets you use a a wand you created as a swift action (as long as it's originally no longer than a standard action) with some prereqs.

EDIT; I guess you already got something along that line.

Renen
2014-05-31, 05:17 PM
Acrually that feat is exactly what I got. :D
Thanks though

Agincourt
2014-05-31, 06:02 PM
A Rod of Many Wands (CM) lets you load up to 3 wands and activate them simultaneously. You could probably put one in each hand.

nedz
2014-05-31, 06:30 PM
I want to know per round usage.
And not "my time" round.
They are per round — I'm not sure I understand your point here ?

In other words time stopping shenanigans aren't hard or obscure, so I know how to do them.

You didn't list them in your OP; so how are we to know what you already know ?
Maybe we should just assume that you know every other possible method already — in which case we are done here.

sideswipe
2014-06-01, 07:30 PM
They are per round — I'm not sure I understand your point here

i think he knows how to multiply the rounds actions with time stop and the like. so he wants to know the maximum before abusing time.
so how many times can you cast in a round. then multiply by time manipulation.
for example, squeeze 6-8 castings out of a round before using time shenanigans.

Ikeren
2014-06-01, 07:51 PM
http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3641156
http://dictummortuum.blogspot.ca/2012/01/handbook-to-wand-users-and-crafters.html

Artificer Metamagic Spell Trigger ability at level 7 (check the errata).
Use Twin, Quicken, Repeat spell.
Cannith Wand Adept 2 has Dual Wand Use - use 2 wands at once. (Also, a feat from Complete Arcane)
Rod of Many Wands --- 3 wands at once. Metamagic spell trigger quicken and twin for 12 shots per round.

Add in standard "ruin the action economy" options and go to town.

GutterFace
2014-06-01, 08:11 PM
Factotum: Cunning Surge and dual wand wielder (or rod of many wands).

if you have enough Inspiration, make it rain

Glodart
2014-06-01, 09:12 PM
Actually, IIRC, Wand Metamagic cannot be applied to the Rod of Many Wands, because Wand Metamagic applies to spell trigger items, while the Rod changes it to Command Word

andromax
2014-06-04, 12:00 AM
A Rod of Many Wands (CM) lets you load up to 3 wands and activate them simultaneously. You could probably put one in each hand.

You totally could, but you'd need a belt of battle or a 'white-raven-tactics-bidch' to use them both in one round. Which would be the tops.

WinWin
2014-06-04, 12:36 AM
I'm not sure you could dual wield Rods of Many Wands as you can with Double Wand Wielder, because they are technically Rods.

One thing you could do is use the Weapon Trap rules in DMG 2 to give your wand a trap that activates upon use. The traps would have independant targeting, but that should not be much of an issue, depending on the effect.

Flickerdart
2014-06-04, 12:48 AM
I'm not sure you could dual wield Rods of Many Wands as you can with Double Wand Wielder, because they are technically Rods.
There's nothing "technically" about them. They're rods, completely different from wands in every respect. They have wands attached to them, but taping a dagger to my morningstar doesn't mean I can use Weapon Finesse with it.

WinWin
2014-06-04, 02:17 AM
There's nothing "technically" about them. They're rods, completely different from wands in every respect. They have wands attached to them, but taping a dagger to my morningstar doesn't mean I can use Weapon Finesse with it.

Have you looked at the hidden blades in Complete Scoundrel and Complete Adventurer? The Adaptive weapon enhancement can help you with Morningstar finessing too, dagger attached or no.

The technicality is that magical item effects can be extrapolated into other forms. The OP is playing an Artificer. Not to mention the crap that can be pulled with gear like wand chambers, which would allow you to the dual wield rods and the attached wands simultaneously. That wont help you take more than your normal number of actions in a round, at least not without a feat like Multitasking.

Flickerdart
2014-06-04, 11:34 AM
The technicality is that magical item effects can be extrapolated into other forms.
Sure, we call that homebrew.

Renen
2014-06-04, 11:56 AM
Well, I did forget twinned, so thats something :D

WinWin
2014-06-05, 03:21 AM
Sure, we call that homebrew.

Nope. It's called Rules of the Game (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050111a). It's a seven part series, by Skip Williams. You may have heard of him. Take some time, read it.

RedMage125
2014-06-05, 04:31 AM

Glad someone pointed this out, because as I started reading the thread I was about to.

WinWin is absolutely correct, a rod of Many Wands CANNOT (by RAW) be used in conjunction with the Cannith Wand Adepts Dual Wand use ability, nor with the Dual Wand Wielder feat from the Complete Arcane, because both of those abilties specify a wand in each hand, and a rod is not ever a wand.

How many times can one shoot wands per round? So far im up to 4 with an artificer.
any way to get more shots?
(Dualwielding wands feat to shoot with eachhand)
(Feat to shoot as swift action)
(Artificer using metamagic (and eatich up 4 charges) to cast as free)
I'm a little curious how you came by 4, and not 3?

Using Metamagic Spell Trigger to Quicken a spell from a wand is a swift action, not a free action, and you only get one swift action per round. Not one swift action per wand.

So, using those feats...1 activation with Main hand Wand, 1 with Off-Hand Wand, and 1 with one of them as a Swift Action using Metamagic Spell Trigger.

Now, using Twin Spell is a good idea, because if you Twin all of those uses, you bump it up to 6.

Even a liberal DM ruling regarding the Rod of Many Wands (i.e. allowing Dual Wand Wielding with 2 of these items), and using Twin and Quicken would yield a net result of 18 wand uses.

But using that combo drains 7 charges from each wand in each rod, for a total of 21 charges used in each round.

And you still don't get multiple Swift Actions in a round.

Renen
2014-06-05, 11:01 AM
Applying quicken and casting it is a swift action? Why? What did I miss?

RedMage125
2014-06-05, 02:13 PM
Applying quicken and casting it is a swift action? Why? What did I miss?

You were claiming it was a free action, were you not?

Quicken Spell is a Swift Action. In one of the few times the Core Rules were updated in later books like Complete Arcane and such, Swift and Immediate actions were added. It was something they didn't think of when they first did the 3.0-3.5 revision. Those books explicitly update and override the PHB saying "free action".

Furthermore, the d20 SRD says Swift Action now for Quicken Spell:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#quickenSpell

Renen
2014-06-05, 02:16 PM
Huh. A certain website I use often that cannot be mentioned because of OGL has betrayed me :-(

Thanks though.