PDA

View Full Version : As in Days of Yore (IC)

'Neath the Moon
2014-05-31, 03:50 PM
The town of Aspendale, in the kingdom of Essway, is a comfortable place. Perhaps two-hundred people live within the town itself, and about the same number reside on farmsteads within a few miles of it. It is situated in a wide, shallow valley, where the plains begin to give way to hills. Greenstone Creek, a large stream, curves around it from the east as it flows north toward the sea. It is early autumn, and dusk will fall within the hour.

Yorick, the jester, sits at a table in Whitemill Inn. He's heard a tale of a treasure guarded by the fey, somewhere nearby. Specifically, the story goes that those who seek them out are invited into their court. They offer a challenge (the details of which vary from telling to telling) for a prize: a small silver orb which floats and rolls at the behest of its owner and produces a ringing music as it moves.
Behind the bar is a stout, matronly woman in a dress and apron with caramel-toned skin, dark hair flecked with grey, and glinting dark eyes. There are four patrons drinking at the bar; probably locals given their light apparel and camaraderie with the innkeeper. A balding man with an auburn beard and a young girl with hair of the same color sit at another table, dressed in grey-browns and blacks, their bags on the floor beside them; presumably travelers.

Branid is not quite lost. The mines outside of town have given way to natural cavern, with occasional returns to rough-hewn stone where a vein of iron ore had been found. The map supplied by an old miner turned out to be very basic, just a rough impression of the main tunnels. What Branid seeks is said to be in the deeper regions. He carries on, following the little channel cut into the rock by trickling water, just like the old sorceress told him to. There is a glimmering in the darkness ahead, a dozen or more little points of light, shining like stars. Those must be the crystals, like the one on the sorceress's pendant, glowing with their own light.

Here is what Branid sees.

http://th02.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2014/151/f/a/crystals_in_the_next_cavern_by_repaer_mirg-d7ki43u.png
Google Docs links HERE (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzR4ZRlBMoSMMWE4eUtoRExCeHM/edit)

Dynadin stalks through the forest, bow drawn. The dire boar is wounded, it can only go so far. These trees are thick, though, more so than they were a half-mile back. A crashing sound comes from his left, as the great beast leaps through the underbrush. Its hide is a ruddy brown, stained deep maroon in three spots where the broken shafts of arrows stick out. Red-orange bristles catch the light of the low sun, and its amber eyes are narrowed with rage between cruel black-ivory tusks.
I rolled for initiative for you both, since I saw no need to waste several posts on that, and you won by a long shot.

Haluesen
2014-05-31, 08:07 PM
The hunter Dynadin looked at the wild boar with steady focus as he lifted his bow. I've got you now...Wodas, please aid me in bringing in my prey." he whispered as he let fly with a pair of arrows, the better to slow it down or perhaps finish it now.

Using Rapid Shot to attack the boar, assuming it is not already in melee range otherwise this is a bad idea.
Attack: [roll0]
Attack 2: [roll1]

Damage: [roll2]
Damage 2: [roll3]

Add +1 to each of the attacks and damages if the boar is within 30 ft.

'Neath the Moon
2014-05-31, 09:11 PM
Both arrows strike the boar, which roars in pain. It turns, and stares directly at the ranger.

http://th02.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2014/151/a/4/dire_boar_in_the_forest_by_repaer_mirg-d7kj98j.png
Or go HERE (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzR4ZRlBMoSMXzdHUkthZmxEVTg/edit)

Suddenly, the boar charges forth to strike at Dynadin! Tramping through the thin underbrush, it lashes out with its tusks at the hunter.

The boar is charging you, which gives it a +2 on the attack:
[roll0]
Damage roll:
[roll1]

EDIT: Oh, and Point-Blank Shot did apply.

Haluesen
2014-05-31, 10:00 PM
Dynadin reeled from the strong hit, a long gash torn along his side from the sharp tusk. With a low grunt of pain he cast aside his bow, certain it wouldn't come in handy at this point. But the pain didn't break his focus from him, and he drew his unwieldy blade with the same look of driven purpose. With a roar he lashed recklessly at the boar in a hopefully crushing downward strike.

Striking with his sword after discarding his bow to free his hands quicker, and striking with a Power Attack.
Damage: [roll1]

Crit Confirmation if Needed: [roll2]
Extra Damage: [roll3]

'Neath the Moon
2014-05-31, 10:11 PM
The sturdy blade strikes the boar just before it can dodge. The dire beast is unfazed, despite the grim wound, and its tusks scythe towards the ranger yet again.

Haluesen
2014-05-31, 10:38 PM
By now Dynadin was heavily injured. He was bleeding from 2 large wounds and having a hard time keeping his focus at all. Either he could push onward and hope to kill the fearsome boar before it killed him, or attempt to flee. He hated the idea of a wasted effort but he figured he had to try to end this. With another yell of effort he hefted his sword for another long strike.

Possible Crit Confirm: [roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll3]

Breitheamh
2014-06-01, 09:49 AM
Branid takes another look at the map and conjures up the memory of the crystal pendant. He focuses on it, studying it for a moment to the exclusion of all else. Then he takes out a piece of parchment and his quillpen, quickly jotting down a few notes to help him remember this location. He takes stock of his landmarks, and then heads down the tunnel toward the light. His excitement is overflowing behind his eyes, and he devotes all his energy to keeping himself calm and collected.

Calm yourself, Branid. You cannot let this go to your head. This could be another dead end. Just stay calm. You are a scholar, not the little boy you were when you began this journey... He continues his inner monologue, trying to convince himself to remain astute.

As he enters the cavern full of crystals, and the light pulses all around him, he gasps. He cannot hold in the joy anymore. Suddenly he is just a young boy again, feeling the warmth of the sun, delighted by the beauty of the light.

'Neath the Moon
2014-06-01, 02:00 PM
The ranger sidesteps the boar. Swing his sword down and around, he strikes the beast in the throat, and the blade sinks deeply in. It tumbles to the ground with a heavy thud and a choking gurgle.

Suddenly, from behind him, Dynadin hears a voice say, Need any help with that? An elf, clad in a simple buckskin tunic and a heavy green cloak, approaches from the woods nearby. Her hair is dark, her eyes of an indeterminate greenish hue, and a large and grisly burn scar marks the bottom half of her right cheek. She holds up a large skinning knife, still in its sheath.
M'name's Ambarnor.

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2014/152/4/8/ambarnor_by_repaer_mirg-d7kkg7o.png
GD Link (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzR4ZRlBMoSMakR5NnNYZGtUME0/edit?usp=sharing)

The lights of the crystals glimmers in the dark, and as Branid enters, the light he carries is reflected and amplified, making each crystal shine with white light. The chamber contains a small pool at the end of the little gully with small shining pebbles beneath its surface. Even the normal stone seems to catch bits of light and send it forth in a dim sparkle. There appear to be two tunnels on the other side of the pool.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/152/4/3/cave_of_gems_by_repaer_mirg-d7kmec7.png
GD Link (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzR4ZRlBMoSMa2VGRWU3YmlyeEE/edit)

http://th09.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2014/152/6/6/shiny_magic_pebble_by_repaer_mirg-d7kmjwl.png
GD Link (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzR4ZRlBMoSMOTJSMWR1NUE2M28/edit)

In the event that he uses his artificer's monocle on any of the stones, Branid will find the following:
The stones make all spells with the light descriptor effectively two levels higher for the purposes of counteracting magical darkness. They take up no body slot, and only function for the person who removes them from the cave. Mostly they are a curiosity, but they have some potential use, circumstantially.

Breitheamh
2014-06-01, 09:09 PM
Branid barely has the presence of mind to cast a cantrip to determine if the crystals are magical, but he manages to channel the arcane energy, and, feeling the presence of the magic in the light crystals, he giddily dashes over to the pool, plunging his hand into the cool water and scooping up several pebbles. He adjusts the lens on his face, closing his right eye and allowing the monocle to translate the raw arcane presence into specific properties.

Once he feels that he understands the power of the crystals, Branid takes out his notes again and quickly writes down a description of the stones and his findings on their abilities. Grasping the glass ball at his side, he sends it a quick mental command to get brighter. The light illuminates the tunnels at the back of the cavern, and Branid pulls out a coin, flips it, takes a deep breath, and begins to walk down the tunnel on his right.

He takes a few steps, then, thinking for a moment, calculating the timing of the beginning of his journey to his arrival at the crystals, and remembering the time of day. He sighs, give one last longing look at the tunnels, and turns to head back to the little town. He'll get some rest, prepare himself for his journey, and give it a real go first thing tomorrow.

Casting Detect Magic and using Artificer's Monocle to determine crystal properties.

Haluesen
2014-06-02, 02:05 PM
He nodded a bit and pulled his blade from the large beast, panting a bit from the exertion of the hunt. "It's good to meet you. I'm Dynadin. And yes, perhaps I could use some assistance." He sat on the ground near the boar and took some simple bandages from his pack, working on binding the wounds on his side and stomach. "So Ambarnor, how long have you been around here? Did you see the conclusion of that?" he spoke while he worked on himself. After being sure that his injuries were taken care of, he worked his arrows out of the dire boar carefully; they'd already taken enough out of the meat. He calmly waited for an answer from Ambarnor.

Nettlekid
2014-06-02, 04:10 PM
Yorick tilted back on the hind two legs of his chair, the bell on his hat jingling slightly as he stopped himself from going too far as he hooked the table with his foot. Letting the tip of his cap hang in his view, he absentmindedly bobbed the bauble back and forth as he thought to himself. He had just finished a decently hearty supper, made all the more bearable by a healthy dose of that spice Prestidigitation that he had cast a half-hour ago, and was looking forward to a dinner he hoped soon to come. However, as he mulled over his mug of mead, he regretfully admitted to himself that his coin purse had far too little shine in it since his last large performance perhaps a month prior. Truthfully, he would prefer not to be in a town like this. It's charming enough, quaint one might call it, but that's rather the problem with it. A low-key trading hub village is a center for commerce but it would take Dallah Thaun's own luck to run into anyone of note. That is to say, it's great if you already know people and are building a base, but not so much if you're trying to meet anyone new and starting from scratch.

Now, Yorick wouldn't normally be wasting his time here if he had other places to be. But, well, he didn't really have anywhere else to be. More's the pity. But he had heard tale of Fey folk in the nearby area, offering games and prizes for those who seek them out. The prize was interesting enough, and Yorick could think of dozens of ways a magical ball could be used in his shows, outshining his Unseen Servant and maybe even Prestidigitation's more meager uses. But the real prize in Yorick's mind was to familiarize himself with the Fey folk. What kind of Fey are there in the world? Beautiful women that melt into the water or grow into the trees, right? Tireless spirits that feast and throw festivals for days? Ancient minds who never forget a favor or a debt? THOSE are the kinds of creatures that he wants to meet.

Meeting them would be a challenge in and of itself, though. How do you contact Fey? Just walk into the forest and keep going until you're lost? Find a ring of mushrooms and dance naked inside it? Yorick hadn't the first clue. So, what better to do than pick the brains of people who might be a little more illuminated than he. His first thought was to look at the bartender and the local yokels jabbering. But no, that's too forward, too direct, too obvious. But, he mused, the two outsiders might be another story. He didn't know where they were from, but by their baggage it wasn't nearby. They likely wouldn't know the rumor that had brought him here. But if perchance anyone who did know was privy, they'd tip their hand when not asked directly.

Time to make the magic happen, Yorick smiled. His Prestidigitation spell was still active, and it always served him well in the past. He gave himself a small push with his foot under the table to jostle him backward only slightly.
"WHOA!"
With a contrived yelp, the Tallfellow Halfling let the chair rock forward from the backswing. He fell out of it, rolled right under the table to the sound of clattering pots and shattering dishes (of which there were none, it was only his Prestidigitation accompaniment), and sprang to his feet on the other side. Ideally, he'd be in front of the pair of supposed travelers by the end of it, and if all went well have the eye and ear of anyone who'd care to pay attention. Hopefully the bartender would be keen-eyed enough to notice nothing actually broken.

"My word, Keepers Three preserve me! I do beg pardon for the interruption good sir, dear ma'am. Please believe I am not such a clumsy fool; indeed, I would say I am a surefooted and steady fool! My mind was merely muddled. For you see, dear hearts, are you from these parts? Oh what a silly question to ask, your baggage suggests that you are, as I, a wanderer. The dark folds of your cloaks are not like that which I have seen in a long time since. From whence do you hail, if I may be so bold as to ask? I ask this only because I wonder if you, as I, have heard the tales and the legends they say come from this very town."
At this he waved his fingers, evoking a faint glissando and letting a thin line of sparkling dust drop from his fingertips and float through the air. In the dust suspended in midair he began to draw trees, and figures of what he imagined Fey looked like. His drawings were fairly simple, a bit like hieroglyphics.
"They say there are spirit folk who walk in these woods. Beings of mercy and malice, contempt and conviviality, they walk the land and sea and sky as immortal and timeless. I have heard legends of these folk. They are lighthearted with minds unlike ours, and they often hold great powers beyond our understanding. I have heard of some such whose beauty is so fierce as fire that one scornful gaze in the eyes of man not pure of heart will burn him out and blind him forever! So imagine my surprise when I saw a young woman, beautiful beyond compare, sitting just across the room from me, and how fearful I was when I saw a light, bright as the sun itself, eclipse every image in my vision. I thought 'This is it! The legends are true, and this beautiful spirit is the last thing I will ever see!' But my fears were without substance, for the light in my eye? It was my hat!"
At this, Yorick waved one hand to disperse the drawing dust, and caused his bauble to bounce with a jingle and flash with the reflected light of the afternoon sun. He also magicked into existence a small paper flower, which he extended to the young woman with the auburn hair.
"Perhaps you are not a Nymph, or perhaps you are a merciful one! I wonder if the legends are true at all. Entertain a fool, what sights have you beheld on your path?"

Perform: Comedy check in general, to ease whoever is listening and to boost the moods of these two in particular: [roll0]
And I'll expend one use of my Jester's Performance to attempt to Fascinate the old man with the auburn beard, and the innkeeper (in the hopes that if the innkeeper is interested in me, it'll make the patrons talking with her interested in me as well.) That's a DC 15 Will save, mind-affecting yadda yadda.

'Neath the Moon
2014-06-03, 01:01 AM
Branid begins his journey back through the caverns. It is not particularly difficult. Mostly he just has to follow the small stream back to the mine, and then follow the map. It takes a while, though.

Make a listen check.

---

Ambarnor sets to skinning the boar with swift, deft cuts. As she works, she says, 'Depends what you mean by "here." These woods... Longer than most of the trees. If you're asking how much of your fight I saw; just the end of it. And I don't interfere in a hunt. A friend came to me with word of a wounded dire boar, headed my way. I came to keep it from the fine folks to the south.' She turns from her work to look at Dynadin, 'You with the Guild? They're usually who gets called on to deal with one of these lot in civilized areas. Good people, generally.'

---

All eyes are drawn to Yorick. The innkeeper's eyes fixate on him with an intensity beyond those of the others, but the balding man is no more affected than anyone else. He tenses slightly, and glances protectively at his ward. The girl giggles with a somewhat childlike glee, blushing slightly at the complement, and pushes her hair out of her face on one side, revealing an ear that comes to a point. Close up, you can see other elvish features as well: cheekbones much higher than those of the man, and eyes green as spring leaves, whereas the man's are a dark grey-blue. They are clearly related however. Both have the same downturned nose and dimpled cheeks. It's hard to tell just how old she is, because of her elf blood, but in human terms she looks to be about seventeen.

She smiles, accepting the flower, and replies with the sort of lilt many of the kindlier nobles employ when speaking with a jester in performance. 'You are too kind,' she says, 'My father and I are returning home; more whither, whence, and wherefore would bore you. I recall a tale of these parts, yes. The Nixies of Greenstone Creek. I saw one once, you know, when we passed this way before, on our way to-'
The bearded man interjects, 'Isobella.' He says it softly, but clearly in warning. He looks at you with mistrust.

Make a Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) check. You can already tell that the girl, at least, has spent some time at court.

Nettlekid
2014-06-04, 12:34 AM
"Ah! Such grace! Such charm! A greater pleasure I have not known than to make your acquaintance, Miss...Isobella, was it? Hah, no word issued from those fair lips could ever bore a humble soul as myself."
Yorick gave a slight glance to the young woman's guardian, be he her father or uncle or what-have-you. His brow furrowed. The name 'Isobella' rang a bell. They were related, and he was certainly guarded and cautious. Cautious toward him specifically, or of the harms of the world that might befall his ward? Overprotective type, likely, though to be fair Yorick acknowledged he knew nothing of their travels.
"I mean no disrespect, good sir, nor cause for alarm. I am only an entertainer, a little more than a vagrant and a little less than a vagabond. The tales of travelers are music to my ears and, if the stories of adventurers prove daring and thrilling enough, silver in my pocket when recounted at a lord's court. I say...speaking of nobles...The name Isobella echoes in my mind, and hearsay drives my mind to a distinguished figure of wisdom and strength, a Duke...no, no, Lord, Lord Roderick, was it? His sons are paragons, so it is said, and his granddaughter beautiful beyond compare. I believe you share her name, m'dear, as well as her stunning visage."
Yeah, they fit the description. It was pretty unlikely to run into a pair of nobles, but stranger things have happened. Yorick tried to remember as best as he could about the family line, but not a lot came to mind. Something about a fallen guard, and family tragedy. This man ought to be Corwin Roderick, if he had his names matched to the right faces. A human, charmed by the beauty of the elves no doubt. How strange it would have been for him to age and wither so soon before his wife, if she had been around to see him. Perhaps better not to go into it.

Wait, what had she just said?
"Pardon me...Did you just say that you caught a glimpse of the Fey folk?"
Dammit, what's a Nixie? Is that like a Pixie? Nymph+Pixie=Nixie? One's bigger than the other, I think...I wish I knew this.
"I've been dying to know of them, but I suppose they only show themselves to creatures that walk the line between divinity and mortality, the angelic kind that they can relate to. What hope does a fool like myself have compared to a being like you? Tell me more of your encounter. Did you speak to them? Did they leave anything for you as a jest or a token? I am utterly enraptured."

'Neath the Moon
2014-06-04, 01:30 PM
The man tenses up, and glances about worriedly when you begin speaking about the Rodericks, relaxing somewhat when you change the subject without going further into it. Isobella, looking somewhat concerned herself, says, 'Well... I only saw them for a minute or two. I think they're more likely to show themselves to foreigners. They watch over the locals, and want to make sure any potential threats know about them. He never talked to me, but the one I saw dropped,' she pauses, and pulls at a silver chain on her neckline, revealing a faintly glowing stone set in silver and shimmering with colors from beneath the dark travel cloak, 'this.'

---

Branid, meawhile, is still going through the caves. He hears the tiniest of splashes, and a quiet drip. Probably just a stone falling in the stream, and the cave is full of dripping sounds; it's a cave, after all. He continues, with a vague feeling of something behind him.

The roll wasn't enough to hear anything, but it seemed like a natural 20 deserved some recognition.

Breitheamh
2014-06-04, 04:26 PM
Feeling that quiet chill run down his back, Branid quickly whips around, thrusting his Glowing Orb above his head and mentally commading it to get brighter, all in one motion.

Nettlekid
2014-06-04, 08:26 PM
Yorick was absolutely dazzled by the multicolored gemstone. Of course he also played up the wonder for the sake of his dear audience, but a great deal of his interest was genuine. It was an absolutely stunning piece of jewelry, and even in the light of the afternoon sun through the windows he could make out a faint glow. What would it look like at night? And, more importantly, what was making it glow? Magic?
"How downright enchanting. Truly a piece fit for otherworldly creatures. How strange that it is only outsiders and potential threats who see the people of the forest. I know not whether to be flattered or embarrassed that they must have seen me as so little of a threat that I did not encounter one myself. Now, about this gemstone...You say the Nixie dropped it, you mean by accident or as a gift? Were it an accident, I wonder if it is right for mortal creatures as we to have it. Though, if I may be so bold to say, your forest eyes and sunlight skin paint you as a shade less mortal than the rest of us. Perhaps that is why you are fit to have it. What causes that supernatural shine? If I may, I am if only a little trained in the humblest of arcane arts, but..."
Yorick took a step back so as not to startle the pair, and waved his hands mystically. Anyone with the slightest magical training would see that he was casting Detect Magic. It meant dropping his Fascinate, but that hadn't seemed to be making a great difference.
By the way, what are the locals at the bar doing? I was being fairly loud, and the bartender had been Fascinated, so did the locals react in any way? Once she mentions that the Fey protect the village, I'm going to be more interested in what the locals may know about these half-legend/half-well-known spirits.

Also, I don't have an Artificer's Monocle, so I'm just doing the plain three rounds of Detect Magic to look at all magical auras, starting with the stone but also at anything else that happens to be magic. My Spellcraft modifier is a mere +4, so I probably won't recognize the spell school of much.

'Neath the Moon
2014-06-06, 11:22 AM
As Branid's eyes adjust to the sudden change in light, he sees a short, slim shadowy form, just on the very edge of the circle of light, dart away quickly. There is a larger splash than before, and a few ripples appear in the stream, their edges glistening in the magical light.

---

With the innkeeper released, you are no longer the sole focus of the inn, though you are still getting a lot strange looks.

Smiling widely now at the complements, Isobella tells you, 'We used to live in Aldamar, Aspendale's sister-town to the West. When the mines around here were still open, a lot of the elves who now live there worked on them. The way they tell the story, Aspendale has been guarded by the fey ever since a dispute about the mine was cleared up. The Nixies gave stones like these' she says, gesturing again at her pendant, as a sign of goodwill. I don't know if this one was a gift, or if he just dropped it by mistake. I was a child at the time. It seemed like a gift.

In the first round, you detect the presence of magic. In the second, you notice six auras, the strongest of which is a strong aura. In the third, you see that the stone, and the travelers' cloaks and boots all have faint auras, while a hidden aura, inside one of their packs, is the strong one. You can make a spellcraft check for the stone, another for the cloaks, and maybe one for the boots if you back up (you need line of sight to do so) to determine school of magic, if you wish.

Breitheamh
2014-06-06, 11:56 AM
Branid squints beyond the edge of the light, trying to get a better glimpse of the shadowy figure. His eyes dart all around the tunnel, trying to take in each detail. "Hello?!" he calls, hoping the blur he barely saw isn't dangerous. After a few seconds of waiting for a response of some kind, he turns back again and continues walking, consciously trying to listen for footsteps.

[roll0]
and a spot for good measure [roll1]

Nettlekid
2014-06-06, 05:19 PM
Spellcraft for the stone and whatever powerful aura is coming from their bag. I'm not too interested in the cloaks and boots; travelers have items that make travelling easier, after all.
For stone: [roll0]
For mystery item: [roll1]

"How fascinating. So mysterious." Yorick mulled. He considered sitting down, but decided that it would be too personal too soon to join them. Stay lower than the people you're sucking up to, if only for the better vantage point.
"I must admit my ignorance as to the history of the area. When there's so much on tomorrow's horizon, it's difficult to find time to look at all the yesterdays. I wonder why the Fey claim this land and its people as under their protection. But it seems that you find yourself with formidable guardians indeed."
This didn't seem to be going anywhere fast. Yorick had been surprised when something much stronger than what he assumed would be a powerfully magical stone showed up on his magical radar, and it was drawing his curiosity, though he didn't want to drop the matter of the Fey.
"I'm sorry, I'm surely boring you by prattling on, and you've answered more of an impudent fool's questions than I deserve. If I may ask but a single one more. You, though from far off, appear to know this locale far better than I. You make mention of mines that the Fey have an interest in. Might I ask where I can find these mines? I wouldn't dream of asking you to take me there yourself, that would be far too impudent. After all, if you were to meet the Fey again, I'm sure you would want it to be on your own terms to speak with them and thank them for their gift and whatever boon they have so subtly bestowed upon you. No, I would be quite alright on my own, and I'm sure I would be safe even without their blessing and guidance as you have."
Bluff check to try to do like...Not like the whole Epic Bluff Suggestion thing, but just sort of like make her want to offer her help by saying that I don't need it, but perhaps sounding slightly unsure. That kind of Bluff.
[roll2]

Haluesen
2014-06-07, 02:10 PM
Dynadin listened to her for awhile while sitting against a tree and shook his head quickly. "No I'm not, though I could imagine how I would seem that way. I was a hunter for my village growing up, but then events in my life took me to other paths. Though I never really stopped trying to be a man of the wilderness. Hunting comes more naturally to me than anything else." He looked through his pack for a bit then back up at Ambarnor quizzically. "I take you are not overly fond of the people to the south."

'Neath the Moon
2014-06-09, 12:07 PM
So far as Branid can tell, he is not being followed further. He is able, without any particular difficulty, to find his way back through the mines.

Normally, an intelligence, Survival or knowledge (Dungeoneering) check would be required to figure your way through, but Branid has a map.

---

Isobella, addressing her father, says, 'Let's go with. It'll be fun!'
He argues against it, briefly, before giving in, 'You're too much like your mother. I don't want to lose you too. Very well; since I can't convince you otherwise, I'm coming with.'
The two travelers stand, revealing well-made and finely decorated longswords belted under their cloaks. Corwin pays the innkeeper (for you as well.) The girl then says, Alright. So. Where are the mines? Corwin shrugs.

They're not actually from this town, remember. They come from (and are now returning to) a town about twenty miles to the west, along the same road. They know some of the local legends better than you might, but they aren't locals, and don't know everything about it.

---

Ambarnor grins at Dynadin's query, 'Ah, on the contrary, they are like my family. I watch over the little town as best I can. I bless their fields, and keep the wild things from their homes. In return, they do not cut these woods, and they let me live in peace. Perhaps I am sometimes dismissive of them, and they of me. We're still like kin, and they would come to my aid just as readily as I would to theirs...'

She approaches the wounded ranger, and says, 'On the subject of aid, you look in bad shape, though you're handling the pain well. I have great respect for one who can endure pain. Let me heal the worst of it.

Ambarnor's hand twitches a few times, making odd shapes, and she mutters something in an archaic dialect of Elven.

You could refuse it, for some reason, but I'll assume you don't. It feels like a small burn, on each open wound, and then they are well again.

Hitpoints healed: [roll0]

Haluesen
2014-06-09, 12:37 PM
The knight nodded after Ambarnor spoke and gave a light smile. He grunted as he felt the light burning of the healing but took it much as the same as his previous injuries. "Thank you kindly Ambarnor. That boar was a tough one, but I could not give up the hunt when it felt as close as it was to finished." He stretched a few times and felt the injury on his side, which was not fully removed but at least now a much shallower cut and not bleeding profusely. "Pain is a bother naturally, and as many others I am not above it. The energy and rush of combat though helps my mind to be able to handle such things, for a time. I am honored to have your respect."

With that he stood up and looked over the downed boar. "So then fellow hunter, I ask what happens from this point. Mostly with the remaining meat from the boar, and whether you will be staying here in your home or would follow me to town. I must return soon enough, though I suppose I'm not in any large hurry." Dynadin, now of clearer mind after the healing, went to business to get it concluded.

Breitheamh
2014-06-11, 05:16 PM
As Branid comes out of the mines, he lets his orb darken, and he drinks in the fading sunlight. He closes his eyes and takes several deep breaths. Then, with a hand in his pocket resting on his new discovery and one last longing look at the caves, he heads down the road back to the little town.

"Tomorrow," he whispers to himself as he smiles and walks cheerfully down the road. The brief feeling of someone following him had gone away, and he was feeling the thrill of excitement and discovery bubbling from within and spilling over from tomorrow.

Nettlekid
2014-06-11, 10:57 PM
"Oh! I would be honored and humbled to have your assistance dear lady, good sir. Now...I am afraid I am quite a stranger to these parts, and you told me these stories of long ago, but I do not expect you to know the locale too concretely. I know not of these mines, nor wherever the Fey frequent. Perhaps we might enlist the aid of the locals, to whom the legends ring with truth?"
Yorick turns with a jingle and waves to the patrons of the bar, who until recently had been eyeing him as his routine had captivated the bartender. He pauses for a moment, eyeing them for a few seconds. With a small cartwheel he tumbled over, leaning against the bar that's a little too tall for him. He gave a little pratfall, putting his weight on one foot and "slipping" backward, knocking his head on the bar and lying on the ground. With a loud voice he called out, pointing one hand in the air.
"Innkeeper! I'd like to buy a round of drinks for the patrons here, but with that round I offer a proposition. I am a foreigner to this land, drawn by the allure of the legend of spirits of the land. My friends here have advised me that the Fey folk first appeared to this village in defense of a stone quarry or a mine of some kind, and it may be that the mine in question is key to the folk. So I ask you this, friends. If you are of this town and know the legends and yearn to find truth in what you've heard, truth that is out there but elusive, please come along! A local eye can see what weary travelers overlook.
Are there any among you who wish to learn of the Fey?
Are there any among you that will lead the way?
Are there any who thirst but don't want to pay?
Then I'm the best friend you'll meet today!"
He tosses a few silver coins in the air, enough to pay for a drink for each of the four patrons. He is still lying on the floor.

When he eyed the other patrons, he's using his continuing Detect Magic to scope the four patrons and the bartender out. If any have surprisingly high auras he'll use another Jester's Performance to Fascinate (which will end Detect Magic), targeting the one with a high aura and the person that one was talking to most. If none have a weirdly high aura, he'll target two random locals.

'Neath the Moon
2014-06-13, 01:44 AM
Ambarnor whistles loudly, and a large brown bear appears shortly thereafter. Its left flank is marked by a large blaze of white fur. The druid mutters a word, holding up her hand, and the bear increases massively in size. 'We'll at least be able to get the meat to my home. I've got a cart you can borrow. Butcher should be willing to make a deal, or the Forester's Guild if you can convince 'em to buy from you without joining up. Worse to worst, you'll have to give it away or deal with literal ton of rotting meat.'

---

The woods by the path seem a little more alive than when Branid passed this way before. Then again, it's getting dark now, and things come out when the sun goes down. A rustle in the underbrush, an eerie call from a tree.
Whispers from the stream.
The voices are hard to make out. Between the trickle of water and the language they speak (it's Sylvan, but an odd, burbling trickling hissing dialect) you can only make out so much. If you didn't know Sylvan already, it wouldn't even sound like speech, just the chattering chirps of frogs and the flowing water.
'...seen...cave of lights...not any further...'
'If it goes not...visit...'
'...the wing-kin... mud...'
The second voice stifles a giggle, '...its covering...yes...'

The voices cease, following two soft blubs, and Branid hears nothing more along the way.

---

The innkeeper says, 'Quentin, didn't you lead some newcomer down to the mines just earlier today?'

One of the patrons, a sturdily-built old man who is almost certainly Quentin, says to you, 'Aye, some wizard, always talking 'bout lights and colors, came by looking for the shiny rocks. He's not returned my map as yet. I know the layout of those tunnels well enough, but I'd rather not go in there so late in the day. If you've got to go tonight, you can find a way into those mines anywhere two hundred paces either way along the stream to the east. Can't miss 'em; they're big square holes. Now, how's about them drinks?'

You notice they didn't mention anything about the fey.

Quentin has an item with a faint aura around his neck, under his shirt. The innkeeper has something with a moderate aura underneath the bar, as well as a small row of about six faint auras.

Breitheamh
2014-06-13, 01:43 PM
Finally, Branid reenters the little town, cheerfully smiling at the children playing and the people starting to close up shop for the day. He heads down the street to the inn, where he can smell the evening meal, giving his stomach a reason to growl.

He enters the inn and quietly sits down at the bar, humming a light tune and waiting for the innkeeper to serve him. He spots the man who loaned the map of the mines and heads over to him.

"Excuse me, sir. I just wanted to thank you for lending me your map of the mines. I found what I was looking for, but if you're agreeable, I'd like at least another day with your map. I think there is something hidden deeper in there that can reveal some of the answers I seek." He tries to give the man a serious, business-like look, but his eyes shine with childlike wonder at the thought of the secrets in the caverns beyond the mines.

Nettlekid
2014-06-14, 11:04 PM
At first Yorick grimaces inwardly at the arrival of a new patron, especially when he was getting somewhere. He had spent such a while priming the audience that it would be troublesome to get this newcomer caught up with what was going on here and what he hoped to gain, on the off chance that this guy could actually be of aid. But that inward grimace vanished when the newcomer quite quickly proved that he would be. He gave a little shift of his weight, and hopped up from his flat-on-his-back position to look Branid in the eye.
Sense Motive on Branid: [roll0]
I want to see if this is low, in case Yorick thoroughly misjudges Branid's type.
"My word, my word, my good word indeed! The rays of today's sun flicker out below the horizon but luck smiles upon me brighter than all the stars in the sky. First to meet such an esteemed pair, and now I take it by your address that you are the very wizard my friend Quentin was just speaking to me about! Lights and colors and shining stones, he said, and found what you were looking for, you said! Well, that just piques my curiosity, I said, I said. For you see, I've developed quite a curiosity about those mines you've traveled, for tell of the vivacious and gregarious creatures said to live within. It is far too late in the day now to explore, but fortunately you seem to have gotten the jump on us already! Please, sit a spell, and regale us with your exploits. I have a few questions. First of all, though, a promise is a promise and I am a man of my word, and of many others'! Innkeeper, a round for all, if you would be so kind!"
Just let me know how much to take off; I expect about 2 silver for five mugs of mead (one for Branid too, but not for Corwin and Isobella (too refined, you know, can't have them drinking the local stuff) but let me know if that's off. Also, you said before that Corwin paid for me as well, was that for dinner or for a room? If it was just dinner, I'd like to add
"And I shall require a room, so that we may set off at early light after a good rest. Dear Sir, good Miss, I do not know if you have already found accommodations but it would be my honor to pay for your stay here at this establishment. It's the least I can do for what you have already done and what I do hope you may do for me."
"Now, Sir Wizard, those questions of mine. First of all, do you know the tales of the mines? They say that Fey folk came to defend the town regarding them, and those Fey are the current guardians of the land. Correct me if I speak a lie, gentlemen! I am quite interested in meeting creatures of such spiritual repute, and those mines seem like the best place to begin. My second question is that dear Quentin here made mention of your interest in shining stones, and you said you found what you were looking for. It is much to ask, but did you perchance bring a sample of the stone from the mines with you? Because curiously it may not be the first I have seen today, and much would be gained from seeing if your type and the one I or any exquisitely beautiful creatures in attendance this evening may have laid eyes on are one in the same."

Breitheamh
2014-06-15, 09:10 PM
A smile gradually forms on Branid's face as the halfling rants in his mock courtly speech. By the time Yorick is finished, the green-eyed wizard is practically laughing.

"My, my, good sir!" Branid begins, attempting his own version of the jester's courtly manner, "You are quick of tongue, and quicker of wit, to have discovered me so quickly. Quickly! Lean closer..." he says conspiratorially as he hunches over, his hand going to his pocket, his eyes shifting around the room, the smile still bright on his lips. Then suddenly, he whips his hand out of his pocket, holding aloft one of the crystals from the cave.

"Behold! This is the crystal I've sought and got with naught but a..." Branid purses his lips for a moment, trying to think of something to keep his rhyme going, then holds up a finger excitedly.

Aha! Ahem. For many years the world I've trot..." his face falls, and he finishes resignedly, "-ted. My goodness, that's much harder than you make it seem." He gives an impressed shake of his head. "Anyway, here is the stone I found in the caves, but you said something before that, about Fey?" Branid's eyes widen as realization hits him.

His grin suddenly widens, and his eyes brighten as he nods his head vigorously. "Yes!" he exclaims. "That must have been it! I believe, sir, we may be able to be very helpful to one another. You see, as I was navigating the tunnels, I caught a glimpse of movement which seemed to be some shadowy figure dancing just outside the reach of my light. Then, passing a brook on the road back to town, I heard a snippet of conversation in some difficult dialect of Sylvan. I paid it little heed, as my head was still giddy from the thrill of discovery, but now..." he trails off, thinking on the little piece that he heard. "I think they may have been talking about me!" He throws his hands high in the air and dances a little celebratory jig, having abandoned all attempts at playing the austere wizard.

Nettlekid
2014-06-21, 03:04 PM
I may be the jester, but I don't think I'm the fool in this room. I suppose not all who devote themselves to the arcane arts are the disciplined folks they are suggested to be.
Yorick's face did not give away his mild annoyance at Branid's attempt to be humorous, but he was curious about the crystal Branid was holding.
"How uncanny. May I?" Yorick asked, and without waiting for a reply delicately grabbed the stone from Branid's hand. He held it to the lamplight, then cupped it inside his hands to see the change in illumination. It was certainly glowing, and bore strong resemblance to the stone Isobella had shown him a short while ago. Although it was beautiful, his interest in it was decreasing as it proved itself not to be the one-of-a-kind rarity he had initially suspected Isobella's gem to be. A gift of the Fey, borne of spirit magic made manifest, that would be something indeed. A shiny stone tripped over by a foolish Wizard? Not quite the stuff of legend. But at least it was a trail to follow.

"There is more to this than meets the eye, dear friends. It may be a simple enough stone, but there is magic which infuses it. Truly, it is unlike anything I have laid eyes on before, save perhaps for one. But tell me all of you gathered here, dear innkeeper and good Sir Quentin et al, you seem far less enthused than I to bear witness to the mage's findings. Am I truly so readily entertained? Or perhaps it is that I am not of these parts, and mystic stones infused with magic of the spirit world is so commonplace as to render you downright blasé to yet another of these. I should inspect each lantern I come across thoroughly that they do not hide gems like these or better. Tell me, is this what the mines are for? Do you seek out stones like these? For it's a wonder then that our arcane companion here was able to unearth one so readily. Unless...Well, one of two similar scenarios unfolds itself in my mind. The former is that this is a low-grade common stone, and there are those of much higher quality deep within the earth. The latter is that this isn't in fact the aim of the excavations at all, though perhaps it is tangentially related or is a byproduct, and the real treasure has yet to be seen. Please, be so good as to educate me. Exactly what is it that is being dug for in the mines, and what is it that the Fey folk of this region want you to find to the point of protecting the mines for your sake?"
Sense Motive [roll0] to see people's reactions, either if they've never really thought about this before or if there's some secret they're trying to keep or if they're just so totally bored by it that they don't care.

'Neath the Moon
2014-06-21, 11:25 PM
Quentin, with a look suggesting he's told this tale before, explains, 'Folks come through here every so often, asking after these stones,' he reaches into his shirt and pulls out a a leather cord with a stone similar in appearance and light to the other two, though larger and crystalline, while the others are rounded by water. Branid recognizes it as one of the crystals that grow on the cavern walls, 'or sometimes after the Good Folk in the crick. Some's honest, just looking for a mystery. Others are seeking treasure, and who can blame 'em? Not a one found any, though, 'cept these gems. Lots of the mine families have a few, and sometimes they wash into the stream. They're nothing special. Pretty, don't get me wrong; lots of colours, and good if you're lost in the dark. Not bright enough for lamps, though, son.' The old man tucks the gem away, and continues, 'The mines were for just plain old iron. 'Course, they haven't been open for near on fifty years. I'm sixty-eight, and the last human alive who worked in those tunnels. My father was the one who dug out my gem; he was one of the workers who first met our watery neighbours. I've only seen the Nixies a few times, but the way Pa told it his crew dug their way into the caverns, ended up in the court of some Faerie lord and lady. I guess that offended them, and they challenged the miners to some sort of game. Pa couldn't really describe what the game was, but he knows he lost, and so did the rest of the crew. After that, the mine flooded, and the fey started playing pranks on us. Then one day the druid said she'd deal with it. Turned into a fish, went into the mines, and when she came back the pranks stopped. The mines drained, and people got back to work. You want to know more, maybe you can try asking her. Her name's Ambarnor, and she lives near here. Just follow the fence east until you get to Brownbear Gate. Her house is all that's on the road that way; she had the gate built special when we put up the fence. Don't be surprised if she turns you away, though. She does for most.'

Nettlekid
2014-06-23, 09:08 AM
"How curious. So the dispute about the mine was not that the Fey were protecting the mine, but causing trouble within it. I misunderstood, and I must say that seems to be much more in keeping with the mischievous behavior the stories relate of the Fey."
Yorick tossed the stone back to Branid.
"Still, what a pity, I was hoping these might be more valuable than you're telling me they are. I wouldn't underestimate the potential of naturally occurring magical effects. The Darkberries and Fog Rocks of the Forgotten Realms are much the same, natural objects but valuable for extraordinary effects. But, I am rather taken with the idea of a Faerie Lord and Lady. That is a legend worth investigation. If your father stumbled upon them then presumably the paths and caverns are still there to take us to their hidden home, if the Fey do not obscure our path. And it sounds like the Druid you speak of is just the one to tell us more. I thank you for your patience with a curious fool, Sir.
Yorick turned to look at his new friends, or at least acquaintances. They had stood and seemed excited to go, but now would not be the time for it.
"What an anti-climax to hold for now, but if it is the Druid we should speak to then I think a well-rested Druid at first light would be a better companion than a Druid who has been burst in on in the middle of an evening tea. Innkeeper, may I be so bold as to rent a room for the night? I look forward to what may come tomorrow, and there is no faster thing to make tomorrow today than a soft bed."

Breitheamh
2014-06-23, 11:57 AM
Branid gives a smug smile as Yorick tosses him back the crystal. "I would not write them off so easily as that." He pockets the crystal again, then continues, "Still, there is definitely far more to be found in those mines, and if you don't mind another companion, I may find myself following you in your travels tomorrow." He flashes a vaguely inquisitive, polite smile at the jester.

Haluesen
2014-06-24, 11:20 AM
Dynadin nodded and gave a low whistle. "Now I would say that is very impressive. And I thank you very much for your assistance." He bowed at Ambarnor and grabbed the boar to heft it to the bear, of course likely with Ambarnor's help. "If I must give some away then so be it, but it sounds like the butcher would be the first place to go. After going with you, naturally." Now with weapons packed and wounds at least mostly healed, he was ready and eager to continue on. Staying still never suited him well.

'Neath the Moon
2014-06-25, 11:42 PM
Dynadin, Ambarnor, and the bear manage to transport the boar through the woods with no great difficulty. You come to a small round hut constructed of a dull green flinty stone, its roof of slate. Moss covers the roof and vines climb up the side, wrapping around the small ceramic chimney pot. A disorderly garden of herbs and bright flowers, with here and there a shrub or tree, sprawls outwards from the house. A cobbled path connects with the forest trail you walk, and wraps around the house in either direction before passing under a gate to the nearby town. The sky is a grim blue, growing to a dirty orange to your right and a dark navy specked with a few stars on the left. The druid rushes off, around the side of the hut, and returns shortly with a large sturdy pushcart. The bear releases the carcass, and it falls into the cart with a meaty thump.

---

The innkeeper says, 'I've got three little rooms for five moon, and a big room for two sun left. The big room's got a pair of beds, and the mattress is a bit nicer.'

The currency of Essway (and most other countries in Eord, with some regional variants) are formally called Gold Marks, Silver Marks, and Pennies. There are a sun and a moon design on the gold and silver pieces, respectively, of every people in Eord except the Elves-who do not mint money, but barter or use foreign currencies-and the Dwarves and Gnomes, (their societies overlap and are highly interconnected, much like those of Humans and Halflings)-who use their own, much more complex system. For this reason, in colloquial speech GP are often called "sun" and SP are often called "moon." CP vary more in appearance from region to region, and are usually just called "pennies" or "pence."

---

In the small chapel on the road west, just past Greenstone Creek, a young man in the armoured habit of the clergy of Danna kneels silently, head bowed in respect, before the small altar. A stone statuette of the three Keepers rests atop it between two thick beeswax candles on short brass candlesticks. There are four rows of wooden chairs behind him, enough for twenty-four people.

As Yronnyn rises, someone in the doorway says, 'Yronnyn, you came. Good. We've much to discuss.'

Kalscierre Journe, or Kal, as he prefers, is a tall, bookish fellow of mixed elf and human ancestry. The human side mostly wins out: a strain from the mainland with sallow brown skin, hazel eyes, and frizzy dark hair. In Eord, where hair might wave but rarely curls tight, and the skin ranges from alabaster to tan, he stands out. He is a warlock, like Yronnyn, and helped the younger man to understand the nature of his powers. Recently Yronnyn received a message from him, saying that he had discovered something important, but telling very little of what.

'It's just here, follow me,' says Kal, fidgeting with his spectacles, and heads up a small staircase. He enters a room filled with books, and leans in close to one of the bookshelves, trailing his finger over each spine, stroking the little impressed letters of the titles and muttering to himself.

Haluesen
2014-06-26, 09:33 PM
Dynadin glanced around the hut while Ambarnor went to get the cart. "It blends in with the surrounding forest well. Like something from an old tale." he commented when the druid returned. He walked to the cart and tested the weight and strength of it, then turned to face Ambarnor again. "I thank you very much for your assistance, especially the healing. I wouldn't have had the strength to take more than half of this, if that even, without your help. I am indebted to you." The knight-in-training bowed his head in salute.

razorfloss
2014-06-26, 10:01 PM
Yronnyn smiles a big bright smile that makes his golden eyes shine and says Father Kal it is nice to see u again but then smiles sadly as his eyes seem to lose some of their glow to bad it seems you have bad news or if not that news that make me wish i was somewhere else

'Neath the Moon
2014-06-26, 11:35 PM
There is no debt, Hunter, Ambarnor says, the dire boar you slew was headed for Aspendale. If I hadn't reached him time, or if I couldn't persuade him otherwise, the havoc and ruin would have been awful. If anything, I am indebted to you.

---

'I'm not a priest any longer, my friend. Not long after you left the Great Temple, I went my own way as well. I run the magic shop in this delightful little town. No, this chapel is run by my old mentor Brother Peln, but he lets me use these books when I need to,' says Kal, finally finding the book he sought. He pulls it from the shelf, setting it on the nearby table, and opens it to a page marked with a bit of ribbon.

'Here we are,' he says, turning the book towards Yronnyn, 'This is what I called you here for. It's an old account, telling of a group of beings known as the Elder Coven. Like most of the dark covens, it has thirteen members. They were brought together by a demon called Tok, who served Hect. They betrayed it, though, and bound the demon to a book. The Paladins of Danna captured this book from the Coven, and kept it hidden in the Great Temple. When the High Priest at the time saw the book, he prophesied that a champion, the Teullon, descended from Tok's angelic sister Teul, would one day destroy the book and bond with the demon, and use his power to destroy the Elder Coven. From what you have told me of how you gained your power, I think this warrior, this Teullon, may be you.'

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/177/5/3/kalscierre_journe_by_repaer_mirg-d7o4jv2.png

Haluesen
2014-06-27, 04:33 PM
He raised his head and looked at Ambarnor with furrowed brow. "My intention was not in saving the town trouble though. I simply hunted. I can see how it ended up aiding, but that was not my goal so I do not know if you can owe me a debt for that." He shrugged and spoke on, "I suppose we can simply see ourselves as square. I aided the town that you care for, and you helped me with the carcass and with my wounds as repayment. That sounds fair, does it not?"

razorfloss
2014-06-27, 06:15 PM
Yronnyn looks at father kal in shock you are kidding right pls tell me you are kidding and this is just some joke!!!!!! as he says this his eyes start to glow a pale purple and his voice raises in volume I cant be this Teullon!!!! I can barley control my power and any control i do have goes out the window whenever i experience strong emotions!!!!! as he says this a cup in the room shatters and pieces go everywhere. Yronnyn looks at the cup and groans not again and sighs sorry father that was not on purpose and i'll pay for it. This is just alot to take in and boy was i right about news that make me wish i wasn't here

Nettlekid
2014-06-27, 06:44 PM
...Oh dear.

"I'm a humble sort, and it would be in a better world that I'd have a use for that second bed. A small room for a small man will suffice." Yorick smiles, putting five silver coins on the counter.
I'm running far too low. I really hope this venture bears fruit. Or I can manage to make money elsewhere... he mused to himself, surreptitiously glancing at the two highborns.

'Neath the Moon
2014-06-28, 12:43 AM
With the sort of mysterious expression every solitary magic-user seems to practice in the mirror until they get it just right,* Ambarnor nods to Dynadin and says, 'Aye, fair enough. Good e'en to you, then, and know that if ever you are in need, or even just fancy a cup of nettle tea, you may count upon my friendship.'

She begins to walk up the path to her cottage door. As she opens it, the elf turns back and says, Oh, by the way, I expect that wagon back tomorrow. And make sure you clean out the blood. It'll reek for a month if you don't get it off fast. She walks through the doorway, into the dimly lit hut, and closes the door.

Ambarnor told Dynadin the way to the butcher's shop, as well as to the local Foresters' Guild outpost. The bear, still towering with its magically increased bulk, accompanies him to the gate, where it sits (with a soft thud, and the sound of rotten wood snapping from an old bucket it sat down on) and takes up a solemn vigil, looking out at the darkling forest.

You know the one. They tilt their head just a bit, give a friendly -if somewhat distant- half-smile, and their eyes gleam with a mixture of appraisal, vague approval, a hint of pride, and a large helping of superior knowledge. I think Ian McKellen figured it out pretty well in his portrayal of Gandalf. I seem to recall that several Doctors have been good at it too, as was Alec Guinness as Obi-Wan Kenobi.

---

'It's alright, control will come with time, and practice. Even those born with the gift for warlockry take years to master it. You just had it thrust upon you,' Kal says, placing a hand on Yronnyn's shoulder, 'Don't worry yourself too much. From what I know of prophecy, it is rarely an unavoidable fate, simply a path that you may choose to walk. Even if the High Priest's prophecy is true, and even if I am correct in naming you Teullon, you can always turn away from it.'

The tall warlock returns to the table, putting the large tome back on its shelf, and, with a friendly grin and a subject-changing, fake-gruff tone, says, 'And I told you, I'm not a priest anymore. Magic shop. I sell wands. Got a supplier over in Edhelmar, my second cousin.' He begins to look through the books again, on the next shelf over, clearly in search of another book on the subject.

---

The innkeeper accepts the coins (not even giving any test to their legitimacy, Yorick may note: either she trusts him, she'll check them later, or she's been in the business long enough to know real coins by their weight.) She puts them under the bar somewhere, to the sound of a click, a clink, and a clunk in rapid succession. She stands swiftly, and says, 'If you'd like, my boy'll show you to your room now,' she gestures to a lanky child with a thick mop of dark-brown hair and skin a shade or two paler than her own, wiping down some cups with a grey cloth. He's about ten, and perhaps an inch under Yorick in height. The matronly woman continues, 'Otherwise, just find him or me and we'll show you the way.' Then, she calls out to the boy over the increased noise (two more patrons have just walked in, and the four locals are greeting them somewhat loudly,) 'Gawen! The room with the round windows!' and points at Yorick with her elbow. She returns her attention to the halfling, 'Anything else? I'd not suggest strong drink, if you're serious about the mines. They're no place to go drunk, or hung-over.'

Breitheamh
2014-06-28, 03:49 PM
Branid counts out his five silver coins and places them on the table in view of the innkeeper.

"I believe a room for the night and some good rest is all I need right now," he says cheerfully, and then heads up the stairs behind Gawen.

Nettlekid
2014-06-28, 09:10 PM
"Aye, I've reached my limit as well. I wandered most of the day, but it's the excitement of the early evening that has worn me out already. I'll retire as well. Looking forward to the company of you fellows come morning! Sleep well, and be rested for the day ahead."
Yorick bowed, jingling his hat, and turned about to follow both Gawen and Branid up the stairs.

Spot check [roll0] and Sense Motive (gut feeling) [roll1] on the two other patrons who just came in. I'm assuming they're unremarkable, but I may be wrong.

Spot check [roll2] to notice location of keys and things carried by Gawen, if that's even necessary since I assume he'll take out keys to unlock the rooms. What kind of quality locks are these, if I observe them going in?

'Neath the Moon
2014-07-02, 12:41 PM
Branid and Yorick are both led to their rooms (Branid's is the corner room, and Yorick's is down the hall, with a single room between the two.

If either of them are going to do anything before they sleep, post soon, otherwise we'll skip to the morrow.

Haluesen
2014-07-02, 05:23 PM
Dynadin saluted Ambarnor as she left, and gave an equal nod of greeting to the bear before heading off into the forest, wagon in tow. I shall have to take her up on that offer for tea one of these days. the knight thought to himself with a pleasant smile. But right now the quicker into town the better. I can sell the majority of this boar, maybe keep some for myself or buy what little I need back from the butcher, and then continue on with my business. He wasn't certain if there would be any deeds needing doing for a knight (or a knight-in-training) in such a small town, but better to at least look before moving on to more populated areas. And so he pushed onward through the woods, following Ambarnor's directions.

'Neath the Moon
2014-07-08, 01:10 AM
Yorick has a lovely sleep, with pleasant dreams (pervaded, for whatever reason, by the presence of turnips) which he barely recalls the next morning.

---

Branid is not so lucky as Yorick, dreaming of a mosquito the size of a large frog chasing him hither and thither through the woods. He awakens to...

A room full of muck, every surface covered in mud, much of the mud covered in moss and swamp plants, and the moss and swamp plants covered in yet more mud. Between the larger piles of mud, thick murky water pools on the floor. The room smells of wet dirt and decomposing plant matter: not outright offensive, but not what most people want to awaken to.

Make a listen check, and any other skill checks you'd like to make.

---

Very shortly after passing the fence, Dynadin goes by the first buildings of the village. He finds the butcher's shop with no difficulty, recognizing it by the old red-painted wood sign emblazoned with the word BUTCHER in big black letters. Within, a lean man in a brown apron with mid-length dark grey hair tucked behind his ears, and a line of grey-and-brown whiskers along his jawline, stands behind the counter. He is curing hams, rubbing them with salt and spices then placing each in a large barrel of brine.

Breitheamh
2014-07-08, 04:10 PM
"AAAHH!!" Branid shouts as he is jolted into waking from his nightmare. His mind racing, he mentally commands the glowing orb at the side of his bed to illuminate the room as he sits bolt upright. He takes in the sight of his room covered in mud, and, panicking, twists his head around all over and strains his ears, trying to hear and see any creature that may have sneaked in during the night, say, maybe a giant mosquito.

razorfloss
2014-07-08, 05:35 PM
Yronnyn smiles sadly thanks for trying to cheer me up father i mean Kel. Danna forgive me that will take some getting used to he sighs if i don't do this it will gnaw at me until it eventually drives me insane. Sometimes i really despise the fact i have this urge to do good. it always pops up at inconvenient times. But ignoring that Father i mean Kel he cringes do you have any tips for helping me control my power if i'm to hunt this coven down i will have to have at least some control.

Haluesen
2014-07-09, 02:34 PM
Dynadin took the cart with the boar as close as he could and approached the counter, speaking up to announce his presence. "Greetings sir. I come to your shop this day looking to sell a surplus of meat that I have hunted." He motioned to the cart and looked to the man with a calm half-smile.

'Neath the Moon
2014-07-12, 12:28 AM
Branid's light brightens the room, changing it from the dim lighting of the indirect morning sun. He cannot see any creature, but the light does reveal a message, written in a pale yellow chalky clay on the wall: So rude. To come to my doorstep, take from my hall, and not even announce your presence? Leave this town now, or come to my halls if you will. You know the way. -Rhiannon

---

Kal finds the book he was looking for, and carefully flips through the pages as he answers Yronnyn, 'Control... Never an easy thing. The surest way is practice, but practice takes time. One technique is to create a sigil for each invocation, and envision that symbol each time you use it. A quicker method is assigning each a word. The symbol or word isn't actually needed, but it helps to focus the powers,' he reaches the page he seeks, and continues, 'Your warlockry is tied to your emotions, which is one of the most common varieties, particularly in those who didn't seek it out; the ones who were born with it, or acquired it unknowingly. It's the hardest to control, but the easiest to access without training. You just find the emotions that link to the powers, and try to bring those up when you need them. Keeping you emotions in control is another matter...'

Kal looks down, remembering the book, and turns it towards Yronnyn, saying, 'There's disappointingly little on the Elder Coven in my library at home and Brother Peln's collection here, but I did find a mention here...'

He points to a page in a small journal, listing three members of the Elder Coven.

Illustration for the journal coming soon. In the meantime, here's a picture of Yronnyn in the chainmaille-robe vestments of the Church of Danna:
http://th04.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2014/180/8/6/yronnyn__fixed_up_by_repaer_mirg-d7ok2as.png

Any changes you'd like? Clothing color scheme, facial features, whatever?

---

The butcher grunts at Dynadin, looks up about half a minute later (after finishing up the ham he was working on) and jumps in surprise, almost knocking into a shelf of jars.* He whistles, and says, 'Well. One big bloody boar. Not sure I've the means to sell it all. Maybe carve it up, salt what'll keep. I can't afford what it's probably worth, mind. Twenty-five gold for the meat's my offer. I don't need the hide or tusks, but I reckon the tanner next door might pay for those.*'

Random side note, they're large, ceramic, and stamped with words. They are: SALT, LYE, SALTPETRE, and VINEGAR

If you do go to the tanner, I think we can skip that part. The offer is 15 GP, and, optionally, for both (as well as any future small trades, with larger ones going up by tens or hundreds as appropriate) I'll abstract haggling with a diplomacy check: an extra 1GP for every 2 above 10 you get on your check. (Basically, like the ability score-ability modifier relationship. If you get a 20, the result is 5 GP more. If you get a 0, it's 5 GP less, a 9 is 1 GP less, and a 24 is an extra 7 GP)

Haluesen
2014-07-13, 12:39 PM
Dynadin looked at the large amount of boar, a sorta distant look in his eyes. Well it isn't ideal...but I don't honestly have much of a way with words and bartering. Hmm perhaps I should take some lessons... and with that he looked to the butcher and nodded, smiling kindly. "Very well then, 25 it is. It may not be what I as expecting, but bringing a good supply of meet to this town and stopping a possible threat as well are more than enough to me to make that worthwhile. And I shall take your advice sir, and bring the tusks and hide to tanner. You did mention it being next door, correct?"

Breitheamh
2014-07-15, 05:04 PM
The light helps to calm Branid, and allows him to analyze the message. As it dawns on him that this may be a summons to the court of the fey, his panic turns to worry, which turns to wonder, and finally to giddy excitement. Laughter bubbles from his throat as he puts on his monocle and writes down the message on his notes about the cave.

'Neath the Moon
2014-07-18, 11:57 AM
The butcher nods to Dynadin, saying, 'That's right, just out the door and to the left...' He counts out the gold, handing it to the ranger, and says, 'Sorry I can't afford to give you more. Tell you what, you can help yourself to the preserved meat. Keepers know, I'll have more than enough when this is smoked and dried.'

I'd rather skip this encounter, since it's much the same as the butcher one. Contrary to what I mentioned in your last spoiler, the tanner will offer 20 gold, not 15. I figure a hide as big as a Dire Boar's is probably highly sought after: such a huge quantity of (mostly) unbroken leather. If you'd like, you can chat with him, but otherwise I'd say to go ahead and look for lodging, or whatever else you'd like to do.

---

There's a loud knocking on the door to Branid's room. The innkeeper, by the sound of her voice, says at a volume just below a shout, 'Hey, Wizard! The ceiling under your room is dripping! You got an explanation for that?'

---

Yorick continues to snooze.

If you're able to post, and want to, you can make a listen check to hear the innkeeper a'knocking and wake up. (DC 15)

---

Sorry, page still coming shortly. I actually mean it, this time. It's mostly done.

Haluesen
2014-07-19, 01:35 PM
Dynadin nodded courteously to him and took the gold. "Very well then sir. I shall be back for some of it then later this evening, or perhaps tomorrow morning. Have a good day." He bowed to him as a noble knight would and left.

After heading to the tanners for a similar arrangement and leaving with a fair amount of coin, Dynadin figured the best course of action would be to find an inn to stay for the night, and then perhaps explore the small town for anything he could assist in. In a place out like this you never know.

'Neath the Moon
2014-07-20, 03:29 AM
Dynadin is able to find the inn without any problem, since the first local he asks points him towards the large, whitewashed windmill in the northwest corner of town, which marks its location. The inn still has one high quality room for two gold coins, and a single medium quality room for five silver left.

I'm guessing you're just going to sleep, for convenience in timing things?

---

The journal stands open the page on the left is writing, the page on the right is filled up with three sketches.

http://th09.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2014/201/8/b/journal_of_the_witchhunter_by_repaer_mirg-d7rgbrl.png

Nettlekid
2014-07-20, 06:19 AM
Yorick groggily returned to the world of the waking, his early sleep not detracting from his usual distaste for early awakening. He looked to the window and, after a moment of mental configuring, decided that the sun was saying it was morning, and not late morning either. How troublesome, this bed was comfortable enough and he would have liked to spend a sleepy morning in and get his money's worth. But now that he was awake, he'd have trouble getting back to sleep. For one, he really needed to pee. But more than that, there was a bit of a din coming from close by. The innkeeper hammering at a door that was thankfully not his, and a peculiar muffled laughing from the room within. Was that...yeah, that was the Wizard's room. Yorick began to second-guess his recent alliance with this Wizard, but ideally this wouldn't last too long. He'd just need to get to the Fey's court and he could take it solo from there, he supposed. But until that point, he reasoned, he'd probably have to-HOW LONG IS SHE GOING TO KNOCK?

Yorick rolled over from his bed, and although he was still in his nightclothes he didn't forget to put on his jingly hat. Commitment to a bit, you know. He sleepily headed over to his own door, and peeked outside.

"Hoo-hoo, good morning everyone! Bright and early, isn't it! I say, forgive me but I couldn't help overhearing...well, something going on over here. Is all well?"

Breitheamh
2014-07-22, 04:08 PM
The wizard throws open his door, still half dressed in his nightclothes, and says, "I've been summoned to the court of the fey. Anybody want to come?"

Then he closes his door again with a giggle and says, "Just give me an hour! I hope this will cover the mess!" as he slides 30 sun under the door.

razorfloss
2014-07-22, 05:58 PM
Yronnyn grimaces Well i at least know what one emotion does as for the rest "wont that be fun to find out" he sighs i'm really starting to despise this power of mine and destiny for forcing it on me. Well no matter lets get off unpleasant for right now i need some time to process this tell me abut your magic shop and can i get a discount next time i'm in town

'Neath the Moon
2014-07-22, 11:48 PM
The innkeeper, who went silent when the door opened and she saw inside, stands outside the door for several minutes. Finally, she picks up the gold and shuffles away, still saying nothing.

---

Kal says, 'Wild power can be tamed, and no destiny is unavoidable. Don't forget that.'

He gestures for Yronnyn to follow him, and heads out of the chapel, saying, 'I keep my shop mostly so that I can support my library. I've managed to get it recognized by the Mages' Guild as a local offshoot, so I get some funding in exchange for lodging the occasional traveling guild member. You can stay the night, and I've got the papers back home if you'd like to join the Mages' Guild. That would also make you eligible for the Guild discount. But even if you don't join, I'll apply it.'

Nettlekid
2014-07-25, 09:59 PM
Yorick stood wide-eyed, teeth slightly gritted.
"W...Would you care to elaborate? Invited to the court of the fey? What about our plans to find the Druid woman, and to...What?"

Breitheamh
2014-07-27, 09:31 PM
"SHHHH!" comes Branid's reply from behind his door. Then, following a long pause, he continues, a confused tone in his voice, "Druid woman? What Druid--oh, right! Yes, she can come too. Now, SHHHHHH!"

Branid turns back to his spellbook, letting a small bit of arcane power slip from his mind to be replaced by spells more suited to his task. Despite his undisciplined behavior of the night before...and the first few moments of morning, Branid's meditation is focused, clear, and distinct, one of very few things that can hold his attention.

Haluesen
2014-07-28, 03:02 PM
Dynadin walked straight into the inn, looking around for a moment to take in whoever might be around to speak to later. With that done, he approached the innkeeper and bowed his head in greeting. "Salutations, I would like take your fair-quality room please." He offered the 5 silver coins for it.

'Neath the Moon
2014-07-28, 04:40 PM
Dynadin is given the final available small room, and has an uninterupted night of sleep. His room is immediately next to Branid's, so the knocking and shouting almost certainly awaken him the next morning.

Haluesen
2014-07-28, 05:28 PM
Dynadin groaned and sat up in bed, groggily trying to sort out the source of his awakening. "What...whose shouting...and laughing?" He rose from bed in just simple nightclothes still and opened his door just a bit to peak out into the hall in the direction of the commotion.

'Neath the Moon
2014-08-12, 12:37 AM
Kalscierre and Yronnyn head to Kal's home, above the shop and adjoining the small Guild House. They spend some time catching up, drinking a mulled cider Kal had set aside. Yronnyn, tired from his travels, retires to one of the three small stalls set aside for traveling mages, furnished with a chair, desk, drawer, and bed.

Some time later, well past midnight and perhaps a half-hour from dawn, there is a soft knock on the outside door to Kal's chambers. Kalscierre, a light sleeper by virtue of his elvish blood, is already awake. He opens the door to find Brother Peln, the presiding clergyman from the small chapel just east of town. He wears the chainmaille-and-robe vestments of Danna's priesthood, of black and deep blue fabric with linked rings of silvery-white mithril. Peln is a human of medium height, with a lean, solid frame and a casual air of strength. His face is lined, with a harsh jawline. His dark grey hair is cut above shoulder-length, and swept behind his ears. His eyes are a peculiar golden hue, growing lighter near the pupil, and almost shining in the dim predawn murk.

He asks if Yronnyn had accepted his part in the prophecy. Kal informs the priest of the young man's strong hesitance. They converse. Then they argue. Finally, saying that the wrong person was chosen, and that that can be changed, Brother Peln holds up a gloved hand. The holy symbol of Danna traced in gold leaf, impressed deep into the leather on the glove's palm. He makes a gesture, and intones a swift, sharp set of syllables. Kal freezes in place, perfectly still, and the priest walks past him into the next room, drawing a sword inlaid with gold.

Yronnyn can make a listen check (DC 12) to be awake in time to react. Even a result of 8 will be enough to be awake, and thereby avoid potential Coups-de-Grace, but a 12 will be needed to not have a surprise round.

Breitheamh
2014-08-16, 10:27 AM
Finally, Branid comes out of his meditative reading mind, and returns to his normal, hyperactive self. He bursts through his door and rushes down the hall and the stairs and nearly slams into a table in his eagerness.

"Let's get going!" he shouts as he looks around for the three interesting companions he had found the night before.

Haluesen
2014-08-16, 11:59 AM
Dynadin saw someone move very quickly past him down the hall and into the bar from the room next to him and was even more puzzled. "This is...certainly rather strange." he commented to the hall, still fairly groggy from the surprising wake up. Curious about this person's odd behavior, Dynadin returned to his room and gathered his things, armor attached to his pack so he could walk in some normal clothing. After maybe 5 minutes of preparation, he went down after the other man.

Once down there he looked around for a moment, as he had only gotten a brief glimpse of the person who dashed past him in the hallway. Of course once he heard a person speaking pretty loudly and enthusiastically and connected that to the bit of appearance he got before, Dynadin knew he found him. "Greetings sir." Dynadin spoke as he approached him, going with polite but somewhat confused.

Breitheamh
2014-08-16, 12:45 PM
Branid turns at the sound of a voice behind him. "Hello indeed, sir. Have you happened to have seen my three companions? There was a man and a woman, and a halfling man with a clever wit." He smiles at the man who addressed him, his green eyes twinkling.

Haluesen
2014-08-16, 05:43 PM
Dynadin tapped his chin as he thought for a moment, "Well I have not seen any halflings recently, as for a man or woman...could you perhaps describe them? I recently met a woman in the wilderness, an elf with a bear at her side in the woods. Aside from her I have not spoken to many people in the village, but I can attempt to help you in searching."

'Neath the Moon
2014-08-16, 08:47 PM
The Rodericks descend the stairs, their haversacks slung over their shoulders. The dark traveler's cloaks they wear are pulled back, revealing fully the longswords belted at their hips. In addition, both now wear a glimmering chainshirt over their red-brown leathern tunics, and each is carrying a sturdy ashwood walking-stick shod in well-worn brass.

Corwin says, 'Alright then, let's get on with this fool's errand. Heh. Literally, I suppose. Say, where is that jester anyhow?'

Breitheamh
2014-08-16, 09:58 PM
"Well, they seemed like tra--oh!" Branid begins to describe the Rodericks to Dynadin before seeing them come down the stairs. "There they are right now."

He turns to the newcomers and smiles at them. "Hello, and good morning. Unfortunately I have not caught sight of our jester for about an hour. While we're waiting, though, I do not believe we were properly introduced last night. I am Branid Thiwen, a seeker of the sevenfold veil," he says with a sweeping bow. "And what shall I call you?"

Before the Rodericks can even answer, Branid addresses Dynadin again. "Oh, I'm sorry. I should have asked for your name, as well."

Nettlekid
2014-08-16, 10:20 PM
There was a clattering of cutlery on a dish and the sound of a few coins being dropped on the counter as the jingling jester emerged from the dining area.
"My word, there you are. Grab second breakfast while you can, I was starving this morning. Waking up early leaves one with quite an appetite. More hours in the day and all that."
Yorick glanced around the growing company, nodding at the Rodericks, not giving Branid much of a look, and pausing at Dynadin.
"Huh, there's another. You're...you're not also interested in the-I mean, you look like a strong man, aren't you? A warrior of a high caliber. I'm sure a guy like you's got lots to do, maidens to save, wars to fight and battles to win, eh? What brings you passing through this little town of local color and little interest and certainly no treasure or prestige which by all means doesn't need another share to be meted out?"

'Neath the Moon
2014-08-16, 11:02 PM
Isobella chimes in, giddily, 'Oh, we don't need any treasure, and I don't think prestige gets "meted out." I say the more the merrier! Now come on! Adventure! We'll explain who we are and what we're doing on the way!'

The young half-elf seems quite enthusiastic about the prospect of adventure.

Haluesen
2014-08-17, 01:59 PM
Dynadin looked at the group as they spoke and addressed him and took it in stride, deciding to respond to them one thing at a time. First he bowed his head in greeting to Branid, "I am Dynadin Halsever, a knight in training of sorts." Since this tied into the jester's questions he then turned to face him, smiling politely. "But I don't have much of a name as a knight yet, that's why I've traveled here in fact. I figure I look for how to aid people in such a small locale, perhaps that will lead to me being able to take up noble and larger deeds. You were right about me being a warrior though." After the little information he gave he looked at the two others. "I suppose I simply saw a bit of strange activity" speaking of how Branid had rushed through the halls, "and wished to see what was going on. I do not want to intrude upon whatever plans you may have, but if there is any way my strength or other talents can be of use, I am glad to offer them."

Breitheamh
2014-08-17, 04:01 PM
"I'm sure you could help us," Branid replies cheerfully. "The more, the merrier, I always say."

Nettlekid
2014-08-18, 09:55 AM
"Of course, of course! The more the merrier! Two's a party, three-to-five's an adventuring party! Oh, pray, I hope you didn't mistake my hesitation to waste the time of a noble knight such as yourself as trepidation, but instead I only think myself unworthy to call a warrior, a magical scholar, and those of gentle birth my allies and peers in the field."
Yorick bowed, his mouth a thin line.
"Now, scholar, you received word from supposedly the court itself inviting you, did you not? Though it's advantageous that we have the proverbial shoe-in-the-door, perhaps it would be prudent to speak with the Druidic woman as we were advised last night, lest we stumble into something and find ourselves in deeper and more dire straits than we might hope. I defer to my betters as to our course of action. Time does not seem to be of the essence, I daresay?"

Haluesen
2014-08-18, 01:38 PM
Dynadin smiled and bowed his head again to them. "Very well then. As your companion said, you can explain on the way. I shall return shortly." He motioned to the armor on his back as explanation and went upstairs to his room where he outfitted himself. Once he was ready with armor, sword at his side and bow on his back, he returned his room key to the bartender with a thank you and went to rejoin the group.

Breitheamh
2014-08-18, 04:55 PM
"Excellent! Now, if we're moving on to business," Branid begins as he holds open the door of the inn for his new allies. "I woke up this morning from a terrible dream, involving a giant mosquito and a swamp." He pauses, thoughtfully.

"Although, I suppose, if I'd just taken some time, I might have been able to see some pretty amazing sights in that dream..." Branid trails off for a moment, his face pensive.

"Huh? What was I saying? Oh, right! Anyway, my room was covered completely in mud, floor to ceiling. I would have thought it was just some sort of prank, but when I read this..." he trails off again as he rummages around in his pack. "Where is it? I know I had it in here somewhere. Aha!" he says excitedly as he produces a small slip of paper on which is scrawled a hastily written copy of the message on his wall that morning.

"This was written on my wall! Don't you see?! I've been summoned to the court of the fey! Perhaps not on the most friendly of terms, but still! It's a summons, right there!" Branid beams at each of his companions, his chest puffed out in pride.

Haluesen
2014-08-21, 06:46 PM
Dynadin walked out with the group of people and looked over the note dubiously. "It is a bit of a hostile invitation..." He spoke calmly then looked to Branid, assuming of course that someone here was leading them. "And do you know how to find the court then?"

Breitheamh
2014-08-21, 08:15 PM
Branid's smile barely wavers. "Not really, though I have some sense of the direction it would probably be. I think. Anyway, as it was originally the goal of our endeavor, we should probably find this druid woman."

'Neath the Moon
2014-09-01, 05:47 PM
The group, now numbering five, makes its way through gate and greenery to the home of Ambarnor. A thin line of smoke rises swiftly from the chimney into the overcast sky, slightly diagonal from the rising breeze. The druid, wearing now a thick grey canvas cassock and a brown leather apron, is working in the garden with a shovel, her back to the prospective adventurers. In the woods a dozen yards or so away, the bear looms. Its gaze is fixed on the party, and its posture--while not overtly threatening--is certainly cautious.

Haluesen
2014-09-02, 01:10 AM
While silent for most of the walk, Dynadin quickly spoke up when they approached the home in the woods. "Wait so this is the druid woman you meant? Small world." He looked over at the bear and waved his hand in greeting, smiling calmly.

Breitheamh
2014-09-02, 10:48 AM
Branid gives Dynadin a quizzical look. "Have you met her before?"

Haluesen
2014-09-03, 05:39 PM
The stoic knight nodded and was silent for a moment as he regarded the bear. But he did eventually decide to explain himself. "Indeed, yesterday in fact. She aided me in slaying a fierce boar and gave me some medical attention as well sustained from injuries in said fight. She did say I was welcome to come around again, I had not expected it so soon though." he chuckled softly to himself.

Breitheamh
2014-09-05, 04:15 PM
"Oh, how marvelous," Branid beams at the knight. He turns back to the cottage and yells a greeting. "Hello! Are you the druid who looks after this forest?"

'Neath the Moon
2014-09-06, 12:22 AM
Ambarnor turns partway around, the old burn on her cheek silvery in the morning light. She leans upon her shovel and says, 'That I am. Ambarnor's the name, though I'm just "the Druid" to most,' she begins to walk over along one of the loose-cobbled paths through the garden. She inclines her head to Dynadin, 'Warrior, we meet again. How are you recovering?'

Behind, the bear has relaxed.

---

Last night, at Kal's Wand Shop:

Yronnyn is awakened by the furious slam of the door as Brother Peln charges in. The long, gilded blade strikes the warlock in the side, wounding him.

Same deal as before: if Razorfloss posts, he can take it from here. Otherwise, I'll play this out a bit.

Haluesen
2014-09-06, 06:50 PM
Dynadin bowed to her and smiled in greeting. "Rather well thank you. And if possible I would prefer Knight to Warrior, or Dynadin if you wish. Simply a preference." He looked to the other 4 in the group. "The same to you all if you wish."

'Neath the Moon
2014-09-07, 05:07 PM
'Ah, of course. What brings you back so soon, Sir Knight?' She beckons to the group, and heads down a garden path, removing the heavy gardening apron.

You arrive at a sward of grass and clover with a circle of crude chairs cut out of tree-stumps in its center. A bee flies by, heading to a clover blossom.

Haluesen
2014-09-07, 09:21 PM
"Well this one does actually." Dynadin spoke and motioned over to Branid. "He has reason to speak to you and offered my assistance to him and his group here." He kept his eyes on Branid while describing his part in this situation.

Breitheamh
2014-09-07, 09:34 PM
"Thank you, my new friend," Branid says and bows politely as Dynadin gestures to him. "My name is Branid Thiwen, Seeker of the Sevenfold Veil, and I am wondering if you can tell me anything about this," Branid courteously states as he produces the note from his pocket.

Then he looks at the paper in his hand and his face turns slightly red. "Oh, that's not right." Branid stuffs the note in his backpack and rummages around in it for a few moments. "Man! I literally just had it! Where did it go?" Finally he pulls out the scrap of paper, holds it to the light, and then hands it to Ambarnor with an embarrassed, "This one, actually."

'Neath the Moon
2014-09-07, 11:43 PM
Ambarnor reads through the note, frowning slightly. 'It would really be wiser to leave, rather than to go into the halls of the Old Fey. You don't know who these people are, do you?' She settles into one of the chairs, 'Rhiannon, and her half-brother Owain, are two of the last of the Seelie Court. Their people brought themselves to ruin just to take the Unseelie Court with them, and these two are as ruthless as any of their kind ever were. They delight in games, and in punishing people for breaking rules that come and go at their whims. These are not some petty warlords with delusions of regality. These are beautiful and vicious monsters, who make you think they are kings... or gods.'

So rude. To come to my doorstep, take from my hall, and not even announce your presence? Leave this town now, or come to my halls if you will. You know the way. -Rhiannon

Breitheamh
2014-09-11, 09:59 AM
"Oh." Finally, Branid feels the gravity of the situation, coming down from the thrill of discovery of the previous day.

"That certainly puts a bit of damper on the idea. What do you think we should do? If Rhiannon is as dangerous as you say, would she even let us leave the town at all? Especially after I've apparently 'taken from her hall'."

Haluesen
2014-09-12, 08:41 PM
Dynadin took in the information and looked to Branid, speaking up once more. "It seems you have little choice but to speak to her. Attempting to go might anger her more." He adjusted his bow on his back before he went on. "Either way I still offer my assistance, though the quest seems now more like protection than exploration."

'Neath the Moon
2014-09-13, 10:32 PM
'She would let you leave. One thing the Old Fey cannot do is lie or break their word, even in writing, or by proxy. If the message is indeed from her, and says you can leave, you can leave. What would happen if you ever came back, though, I'd rather not consider.' Ambarnor pauses, and leans back in her seat. The wind stirs slightly, flicking a few strands of her hair up in a little dance. As they settle again, she continues, 'If you're going, you should know a bit of what to expect.

Firstly, remember your manners; while they don't have any codified rules of etiquette, they will take direct rudeness as a deep insult, and respond appropriately.
Secondly, they will invite you to a game; this varies depending on who's playing, but it always involves confronting yourself in some way; intellectually, spiritually, sometimes even physically.
Thirdly and finally, know that in their domains the Old Fey are sovereign. The world bends at their whim, and they are like to great spirits or lesser deities. The cavern with the pool and gems is the threshold. For all this, though, they use their power only when they truly deem it necessary.

Is there anything else you need to know?'

Breitheamh
2014-09-19, 11:47 AM
Branid looks sideways at the druid. "Just one more thing," he says. "Can they be defeated?"

'Neath the Moon
2014-09-19, 11:05 PM
A light drizzle has begun, and the light fog disperses beneath it. 'Anything can be defeated,' says Ambarnor, ignoring the rain, 'Realistically, though, no. Not directly, at least. If they challenge you to a game, though, or you them, then you'll have a chance. Just remember, with the Fey, nothing is quite as it seems... until you find that it is.'

Haluesen
2014-09-20, 03:26 AM
Dynadin held a hand up to the rain for a moment while they continued their conversation. At the mention of games he looked to Branid again. "It seems to be a risky task either way. But you're calling the shots here. Worth the risk sir?" Stuff like super-powerful fey and spiritual confrontation was quite a bit over Dynadin's head, but he saw no reason that any of that should dissuade them from Branid's original goal.

Breitheamh
2014-09-20, 09:29 AM
Branid puffs up a little when Dynadin calls him "sir" and smiles mischievously. "The greater the risk, the greater the reward, I always say. Let's do it!"

'Neath the Moon
2014-09-24, 08:21 PM
The group parts ways with Ambarnor, and the rain goes from a drizzle to a torrent. After about ten minutes of walking, it slows again and the clouds part slightly. The sun shines in, and by the time the group reaches the mine entrance it is clear. A rainbow hangs in the sky.

The main entrance to the mines is a squared-off hole about seven feet high by five feet wide, set into the greenish stone of the dell. An old wooden door, mossy and moldering and fitted with a simple iron latch that can be opened from either side, fills the entrance.
If there's anything you'd like to do before heading in, do so now. If nobody posts in a day or two, or you only post to enter the mines, I'll just move along to inside the cavern.

Breitheamh
2014-09-25, 08:34 PM
Branid beams a wide smile looking at the rainbow as he shakes out his cloak for the third time and casts a simple cantrip to dry off the contents of his backpack.

"That is how I know we will succeed in our mission," he says to the others, a look of awestruck, childish wonder in his eyes. "When the downpour of life is banished by the beauty of light, luck is on our side. Now come on!" He bounds forward excitedly and tugs open the door with some considerable effort before ushering his companions inside.

Haluesen
2014-09-27, 10:32 PM
Dynadin fixed his own pack and removed his hood as they approached the mine, though he still felt drenched. He looked up at the sky as the rain ended and gave a little shrug. "Rain and sun. I see no omens in them. This quest will be won by our determination and drive though, of this I'm certain." The stoic knight helped Branid with the door when he could, lending his own considerable strength, then walked into the place with much curiosity.

'Neath the Moon
2014-09-29, 01:31 AM
The mines are mostly boring and dark to start out with. The passages are fairly straight, with occasional thick wood beams to reinforce the tunnel. There are tool marks on the walls, and one larger chamber with old benches and tables where the miners presumably rested or ate.

Further in, the ground slopes slightly downward and the walls get wet. The beams are moldering here, and many of them sport pale blue mushrooms with bulbous caps and slender stalks. The map soon leads you to the place where the mines meet the underground stream, and down that tunnel to the Cavern of Gems.

Basically the same as last time. If you wanted to do anything along the way, post it, otherwise I'll just assume you go straight to the chamber with the glowing crystals in it.

Haluesen
2014-10-01, 03:17 AM
Dynadin followed along behind Branid since he had the map, but he definitely kept close with his eyes open. He was very cautious about a mine like this, and kept scanning around for anything that stood out, hand near his sword. "So, how far into this place do you think we need to go?" He addressed whoever had information about this.

Breitheamh
2014-10-05, 05:13 PM
"I think past the crystal cavern," Branid responds cheerfully. "The message said I knew the way, and that I had come to her threshold, so it's probably not much further than that."

As he looks behind him to talk to Dynadin, Branid nearly collides with a wall, but moves out of the way barely in time. He chuckles.

'Neath the Moon
2014-10-06, 12:43 AM
A glimmering in the darkness not far ahead indicates that you near the crystal cavern. A minute later, the five travelers hop down from the short ledge and stand basking in the myriad spectral lights. The Rodericks lean on their walking-sticks, and stand in silent awe.

At the back of the chamber, the two passages still loom darkly.

What I posted earlier, describing the crystal cavern/entrance hall:

The lights of the crystals glimmers in the dark, and as Branid enters, the light he carries is reflected and amplified, making each crystal shine with white light. The chamber contains a small pool at the end of the little gully with small shining pebbles beneath its surface. Even the normal stone seems to catch bits of light and send it forth in a dim sparkle. There appear to be two tunnels on the other side of the pool.
And a repost of the image:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/SeUTIIafAThRG7bZkxwiq5pcd1sxz3umjoUM8dJCC5VCNzwWpf vUB-q2FJgLz1OKg7jq=w1256-h803

Breitheamh
2014-10-07, 11:08 AM
The wizard catches his breath as they enter the brightly lit cave. Despite this being his second time seeing it, he is still just as awestruck as before. He points to the right tunnel at the back of cave.

"I was intending to follow that tunnel last time, but I decided to rest up in town before starting any deep exploration. It seems as good an option as the other."

'Neath the Moon
2014-10-08, 11:26 PM
Corwin raises a hand and says, 'Wait a moment... look.' He incants a few lines from a slow, sad song in a forgotten Elfish dialect*, moving his hand in time with the tune. Three shimmering orbs of silvery light appear; one in each tunnel entrance and one behind the group. The new light's arcane origin seems to set the crystals ablaze with colors.

Ambarnor, I just noticed, also used an ancient form of Elven. That's not the only language used for spells, but it is a popular one, especially among elves and the poetically inclined. Since Corwin's a bard, he counts as the latter.

Now that the two passages are lit, you can see pictographs on the cave walls. As fairly accomplished adventurers, you likely already know something of this sort of petroglyph; they are common throughout Eord, and likely (the archaeologically savvy will know) the work of the indigenous humans of the island. Some study by a historian of some sort might reveal more.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/yz5y8uaKdRbhpQOsCZJwru9c46rzWRfXJ6vY8z4dgei2hWTuBK 9fUDnRkb49mCCaoLnEi9HrtZ8=w1256-h803

Breitheamh
2014-10-25, 06:22 PM
Branid steps forward to examine the glyphs, squinting in the light, trying to decipher a meaning and find some insight toward their task.

Throwing a check for every knowledge I've got, plus a decipher script
Knowledge (Arcana) [roll0]
Knowledge (Nature) [roll1]
Knowledge (the Planes) [roll2]
Knowledge (Religion) [roll3]
Decipher Script [roll4]

Haluesen
2014-11-19, 01:02 AM
Dynadin covered his face for a moment at the assault of bright lights, only allowing himself to look around once he could handle the vibrant colors. He glanced around a while and nodded appreciatively. "It is very lovely indeed." There wasn't a lot more he could say about this place. So he looked at the two entrances before him, having to hold up a hand so the glowing orb didn't impair him very much, and walked partly into the entrance of the right tunnel. "This is the way you intended to head then. While you're looking into those writings then, I'll stand watch this way. Maybe I'll notice something important."

Making Listen and Spot checks down this way to notice anything worthwhile.
Listen= [roll0]
Spot= [roll1]